Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 11:01 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Exactly! I wonder how 313Weather would feel getting ready to go into surgery, and the surgeon is yawning repeatedly saying "excuse me, I get migraines and I am sleep deprived".
Nice false equivalency...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Because they couldn't get their life together for a very important interview.
And why would you automatically assume they DON'T have their life together just because they yawned?

And I find it very hard to believe the vocal minority of employers/hiring managers in this thread with their ridiculous standards represent the majority.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Exactly! I wonder how 313Weather would feel getting ready to go into surgery, and the surgeon is yawning repeatedly saying "excuse me, I get migraines and I am sleep deprived".

Yeah, not a good example. He or she has probably done the surgery routinely and it is a near every day thing. While an interview is usually a once first chance to get it right. Much more intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And why would you automatically assume they DON'T have their life together just because they yawned?

And I find it very hard to believe the vocal minority of employers/hiring managers in this thread with their ridiculous standards represent the majority.

It isn't an assumption. They couldn't make sure to be properly prepared for the interview. That is their entire job at that point. They have once chance to make one great impression, and they couldn't pull it together.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is all in your mind. It isn't a matter of having the upper hand. Only people who go in thinking it's a power exchange would even have this notion on their radar screen.

The hiring manager, like most employees, has one goal that all other goals stem off of. The goal is always the same, whether you are blue collar, white collar, 27 or 57, female or male, homosexual or heterosexual, religious or atheist, a minority or non-minority.

I wonder if anyone can guess what the goal is.
Have you chewed anyone out recently just because they mistakenly said "anyways" versus "anyway" in an interview?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It isn't an assumption. They couldn't make sure to be properly prepared for the interview. That is their entire job at that point. They have once chance to make one great impression, and they couldn't pull it together.
So just because the body decided to perform the natural reflex of yawning, they're terrible employees who should never be hired for a job.

Gotcha!!!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Have you chewed anyone out recently just because they mistakenly said "anyways" versus "anyway" in an interview?
I've never chewed anyone out for that. Link to where I have ever posted that. It's never happened.

What does your reply have to do with my post? I'm not sure - but it does make me wonder if you still defend parents who keep their children locked in the car on hot days resulting in the death of their child. Still finding excuses for them?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I've never chewed anyone out for that. Link to where I have ever posted that. It's never happened.

What does your reply have to do with my post? I'm not sure - but it does make me wonder if you still defend parents who keep their children locked in the car on hot days resulting in the death of their child. Still finding excuses for them?
Oh...

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
So just because the body decided to perform the natural reflex of yawning, they're terrible employees who should never be hired for a job.

Gotcha!!!

Never said nor implied that.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:17 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Oh...
I guess that means yes - you are still in defense of parents who kill their own children.

Good to know.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There will always be people who can't take social cues and are odd/eccentric, but that doesn't mean there still aren't problems with the labor market.

Yes.

OP, I don't blame you a bit for not hiring that candidate.

But there are tens of thousands of perfectly qualified people out there who make a conscious effort to do everything right, who cross all their t's and dot all their i's, but they still have difficulty landing a job.

And I've visited places I've applied to only to find myself shocked by the appearances, interpersonal and communication skills, and problem solving abilities of some of the people that DO work there. I find it hard to believe that all of these people made great impressions when THEY interviewed, or that they paid attention to all the "little things" that job seekers are supposed to heed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment