Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 AM

38 posts, read 45,429 times

Advertisements

I have worked at a few employers since I graduated and while I expect that the new place will be much better than the old job/employer, the truth is nothing is different other than the faces and the address. I, and my coworkers, are still underpaid and treated rudely by management and I do the same thing as my last job. (I work as an Accounting Assistant).

So when you change employers, do you usually get a better job, higher pay and more respect, or do the problems in your old job just change it's address?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:04 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
It largely depends on you, and which jobs you accept.

True, some companies are better than others, but in general I don't see making lateral moves. If you are going to change jobs, you should do it for a job that gives you some sort of advancement.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
It depends on other factors. You may change jobs and be doing the same thing, but if you're going from being a big fish in a small pond to being a small fish in a big pond, it may look better down the road. In other words, going from a company of 30 to a Fortune 500 company, which will look better on your resume, makes sense. An increase of staff, makes sense. A broader scope of responsibilities makes sense.

Moving and not getting more money or better benefits, never makes sense.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:07 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,366 times
I think it you are doing a straight lateral promotion - same general tasks - you need to take a very hard look at the new company's culture and find out if it is a good fit for you. It looks like the culture at the new company is too similar to what you didn't like about the old one.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things to say View Post
I have worked at a few employers since I graduated and while I expect that the new place will be much better than the old job/employer, the truth is nothing is different other than the faces and the address. I, and my coworkers, are still underpaid and treated rudely by management and I do the same thing as my last job. (I work as an Accounting Assistant).

So when you change employers, do you usually get a better job, higher pay and more respect, or do the problems in your old job just change it's address?

In a thread you started 3 days ago, you said that a few weeks ago, you started your first office job since graduating. How many jobs have you gone through in 3 days that you're now up to "a few" employers since graduation?

Quote:
A few weeks ago I started a new job and I was introduced to the people who sat around me and worked in my department. I asked the boss about the many people who sat just a few feet from me I did not meet and he said, "they are in a different department, there is no reason to talk to them." I found that comment odd.

But now a few weeks has passed and I found out my boss was right. People don't talk to the people who sit inches away from are working for a different department. I tried introducing myself to them but they looked at me like I had two heads. I could image them thinking, "why is he talking to me, I don't work with him."

Has the office world of the 21st Century got so isolated that no one talks to anyone who they don't have to talk to for business purposes? Is this common?

(This is my first professional job in an office.)

Old 08-14-2014, 02:22 PM

38 posts, read 45,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
In a thread you started 3 days ago, you said that a few weeks ago, you started your first office job since graduating. How many jobs have you gone through in 3 days that you're now up to "a few" employers since graduation?
I had jobs between High School and College if you need to know.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:39 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things to say View Post
I had jobs between High School and College if you need to know.
Okay. I'm still unclear on the contradiction here, and your assertion that a) this is your first professional office job, but b) this job is just like your last job which is one of a few exactly the same you've had since graduating.

Quote:
I have worked at a few employers since I graduated...
Quote:
A few weeks ago I started a new job and I was introduced to the people who sat around me and worked in my department...(This is my first professional job in an office.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment