Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:16 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todo1 View Post
Issues:
I can't work 40 hours a week. I can work 30 hours max.
I don't have a car to go somewhere and live in a suburban place where ride-sharing is impossible.
Skills I have:
PHP, WordPress, ASP.NET MVC, C#.NET, SQL Server, MySQL, JavaScript, jQuery
* I can't work 40 hours a week. I can work 30 hours max.

- Since you have a medical (?) issue, see if there is any medical disability available for you.
- Learn to live on what you make. Live in a house with 4 - 5 roommates or live in a trailer. Move if necessary.
- Get another career (as mentioned)
- Learn the hottest trends (as mentioned) Java, etc.

*I don't have a car

- Live where you don't need one (Move!)
- Marry someone who has one
- Live in a house with 4 - 5 roommates who have cars
- Find a friend and work out a labor exchange - driving for coding
- Move in with an elderly person who needs an "errand person" (keep any such agreements in writing)

OP, I'm not being mean, but I see too much "I can't" . . . be creative. Just as you think of ways to solve a coding problem, you need to think of ways to make your life work, and that might mean moving to the middle of a thriving downtown, living in an apartment with roommates, working part time at a copy center and then maintaining computer systems for local business owners on the weekends. No car needed.

Focus on what you can have and do, rather than on what you can't. The former will open up more avenues for problem-solving.

See the frugal living subforum in Economics for some great money-saving tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Personally, I'm having a hard time understanding what health problem could prevent someone from doing what is essentially sedentary, physically easy work for 40, when they can do it for 30. It doesn't make sense. Work 40 hours.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:13 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
I don't see how he can start his own business, while working only 30 hours.

If he has been working for years, he would already have a reputation and network to hit up. Once he has that level of trust with people, he would get business by word of mouth.

I am guessing that he is still early in his career with few contacts. He would have to spent time with recruiting clients such as networking and marketing, in addition to the programming.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:20 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
Quote:
I was able to find the Score office website. Do I contact them or set up a meeting? Meeting is probably for the business-owners, so maybe I should just contact? Please advise.
If you can't figure this out for yourself, you probably need more help than some random people on a chat board are going to be able to provide.

If you have a disability, you are probably going to need to get some guidance from the organizations in your area that specialize in helping people with disabilities find work.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:40 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,487 times
You should look into web design, a lot of it is part time work. You would have to target small businesses that need an updated site. I think 30 hours per week would be sufficient to meet there needs.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,326 times
Too narrow and "junior" in the skills dept.
Too limitted in work schedule.
Really good, in demand programmers often work well over 40 hrs/wk and do production support 24/7 occassionally. You are not competitive in that department.

In my experience - over 30 years programming and systems design for big financial firms - you don't work from home off the bat. You need a strong network of co-workers, allies and "wingmen" to advance your interests. If you don't have these you will struggle.

Programming/IT proffessionals can and DO make a tidy sum after gaining much experience and developing robust human networks. Absent that the future is grim to non-existent in this field.

I would agree with others to seek other avenues of endeavor that are more suitable to your limitations.
Good luck.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,299 times
OP, I'm a software developer (I don't like to use the word 'programmer' because you never see a job posting that says they are looking for a "programmer"). I know exactly what you're talking about with sites like ODesk.com and such. Those places are a cesspool for cheap software work. I've tried those places before too and realized the same thing. I was never going to be able to compete with people from India who are willing to work for $10 an hour...

HOWEVER..

When I was working on those sites for a brief time, I did develop some good client relationships ... and they were all here in the USA. The thing is that some people actually prefer to work with someone here in the USA and not some guy from India with poor English skills. They are willing to pay up for someone with better communication skills and who is more local. Now even with that in mind ... I still wasn't making anywhere near enough money to make a living off of it ... but it would be a good way for you to start developing a client base ... and who knows ... you might get just the opportunity you're looking for because you did a good job on one of the projects in the past. That's how the type of job you're looking for can be found. You need to be willing to put some time and effort into getting to that point. But in order to get to that point, you will probably have to be in some not-so-ideal situations for a while.

Other then that, I see no alternative. Trust me, I'm in your field and after all of the job searching I've done in the past, I NEVER see part time software jobs. It's always either full time contractor of some sort or full time developer.

By the way, I have found some lucrative gigs on Craigslist before in the past as well. Maybe you could try that.

Also:

Quote:
Those are all great skills to have. I'm surprised that you're not finding more decent work out there even if it's temporary (whether on Craigslist, ODesk.com, etc.). I wish I had more database skills like you have. All I have under my belt is C++, C#, and Perl experience mainly. You don't need to expand your skill set. You just need to expand what you're willing to try at this point.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:27 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times
Part of the problem is people want awesome web pages, don't know how to express what they want, and don't want to pay for what they want (or can't afford what they want).

Old 08-16-2014, 01:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Issues:
I can't work 40 hours a week. I can work 30 hours max.
I don't have a car to go somewhere and live in a suburban place where ride-sharing is impossible.

Skills I have:

Getting a part-time job in programming is extremely difficult. I tried to be a freelancer, but sites like elance.com etc are crowded with people who are all willing to work for $2/hour.

How do I get programming projects or a part-time programming job where I get to work from home?

I don't have any friends or relatives that could pass my name around.

No hope for me?
30 hours a week is tough to fit into a world made up of contractors who work on projects with deadlines calculated based on 40 hour weeks.

Other than that you should be able to find something.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:28 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,352 times
Quote:
How do I get programming projects or a part-time programming job where I get to work from home?
Why not work for $10 an hour using elance.com? I am not saying that is or should be a long term future, but for now it means that some money will come in, which is better than none.

Second, go on github or those sites where people can prove their programming skills and get some reputation.

Third, use CodeAcademy, Coursera, edX and Udacity to learn other languages that will make you more marketable.

Fourth, approach some business owners in your area and offer to do a project for them for free. On the condition that they will endorse you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment