Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:13 PM

454 posts, read 495,651 times

Advertisements

Take a look at flexjobs.com

Here are a couple of jobs I grabbed from there. They are telecommute positions:

Senior AngularJS Developer - Percona - Job Board

LitmusBox Senior Web Programmer Job in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

https://www.kforce.com/Jobs/1696~WQG~1352561T1~99/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 08:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Do you have a portfolio online with testimonials from your satisfied customers? If not do it now. Preferably on a Wordpress site you designed!

Old 08-16-2014, 09:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todo1 View Post
Issues:
I can't work 40 hours a week. I can work 30 hours max.
I don't have a car to go somewhere and live in a suburban place where ride-sharing is impossible.

Skills I have:
PHP, WordPress, ASP.NET MVC, C#.NET, SQL Server, MySQL, JavaScript, jQuery

Getting a part-time job in programming is extremely difficult. I tried to be a freelancer, but sites like elance.com etc are crowded with people who are all willing to work for $2/hour.

How do I get programming projects or a part-time programming job where I get to work from home?

I don't have any friends or relatives that could pass my name around.

No hope for me?
You have all of these incredible and marketable computer skills and need help, for real?

Old 08-16-2014, 09:20 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that his skillset might also be a problem? I see lots of Microsoft based software skills, but not a lot of general skills that are in demand.

Where's Java? Phyton? Ruby? C? C++?
PHP, JavaScript and MySQL aren't Microsoft based. They're in demand.

I think the problem is that this dude won't work longer than 30 hours and may lack motivation

Old 08-16-2014, 09:49 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todo1 View Post
I was able to find the Score office website. Do I contact them or set up a meeting? Meeting is probably for the business-owners, so maybe I should just contact? Please advise.

It's a health limitation that I can't work more than 30 hours.

Lyft requires smartphone. I don't have a cellphone - I'm that broke.

Are you on social security disability? SSI or SSDI?

Old 08-16-2014, 11:30 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times
Surprised you can't find a remote job. A lot of software and web development jobs allow employees to work from home. You might have to only go into the office once or twice a week, or not even at all. Plus, working remote allows you work for any company.

Why exactly can't you do 40 hours a week? Most programming jobs are usually full-time or more. If you can do 30, why not those extra 10 for 40?

Old 08-17-2014, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I think the problem is that this dude won't work longer than 30 hours and may lack motivation
it sounds to me like he's dealing with some serious health issues.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:14 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadredleaves View Post
it sounds to me like he's dealing with some serious health issues.
Yeah I'm seeing the health issues here. I feel bad for the guy

Old 08-18-2014, 02:24 AM

32 posts, read 44,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post

You know, I had discarded flexjobs.com because 1)it charges 2)it has plenty of scam-jobs like search engine evaluators 3)its facebook page looked very depressing where people were complaining about not getting any job at all.

However, these 3 postings do look legit (even though LitmusBox is looking for somebody in San Francisco).

I am very thankful to you for posting these jobs. I plan to buy flexjobs.com subscription now.

Last edited by todo1; 08-18-2014 at 02:39 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 02:31 AM

32 posts, read 44,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
For CL, you don't have to necessarily search in your local area. Try the next city in any direction. Yes, most people don't reply. That's true. I got my gigs on there by advertising them instead of replying to gig posts (although I have gotten gigs that way too). A lot of the gigs I got involved helping people with their Computer Science homework.

While I did see some $3-4 hour jobs on ODesk.com, a lot of the time I see $10/hr or more. I'm not sure what type of jobs you usually search for on those sites. ODesk.com was the only site I used. I thought it was a decent site but as you know, it's about the competition, not necessarily the site itself. You could try that site instead if you haven't yet.

It sounds like you could succeed at a place like ODesk.com eventually if you start developing a client base. Just bite the bullet and take some cheap jobs for now until you build a portfolio on there. Like I said in my other post, being in the USA could be an advantage at times rather than a disadvantage. It just depends on the client you're dealing with.

If you really want to expand your skills, learn Java. I learned it in school but have no professional experience with it (sort of like your experience with C++). C++ is also a good choice but I often see more Java jobs than C++ jobs. On the other hand, a lot of clients in the finance industry want C++ programmers because performance is critical in their programs ... and the financial industry often pays more than most other programming gigs. Harder to break into though.
Whenever I tried to advertise myself on CL, I got flagged within a couple of hours. Every single time. I'll try again though. I can't afford to give up like that.

I helped people with their hw's too, but 1)I ended up doing most of it (cheating) 2)dead-end (once the gig is over, it's over and no referrals or portfolio-material. I'm not that honest of a person that I won't cheat if it comes to my survival, but I don't get even hw gigs these days.

I'm willing to do a job for free if it's only the start, so $3-$4/hr is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment