Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,272 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I would really like some help making a very important career decision. I have been in school for quite sometime and frankly I am ready to start my life. I have made a lot of sacrifices and this career decision is not only important for my own happiness but so that I can finally help support my wonderful but financially struggling family as the male. . Occupational therapist or nursing? I have already been accepted into several programs and both are affordable o.t would just be about $8000 more, I just have to decide. I know this is a lot but I need all the help.

Background
Strong subject areas: anatomy and physiology, biology, business
Strong interests: diseases, immune system, causes for emotional issues, holistic medicine and cures, entrepreneurship, music, fashion.
Weak areas (I get A's but do not retain much if not used): chemistry, mathematics , microbiology
Weak interests ( I pass but don't care for) psychology, political science, history
Jobs I.hated: teacher assistant (teachers are not respected and not too good at connecting with non-adults unless for a specific goal), waitress ( was absolutely miserable bc messy, stressful, no respect)
Components of jobs I love: moderate to slow paced so that person feels comfortably and task is completed very well, able to make a true difference in a person's life, I have a need to feel needed/wanted/appreciated.

Shadowing reaction:
Nursing: they are running around could barely talk and loads of paper work but love the money
O.T.: some disrespect from referral doctors (minimal), moderate-slow pace that I like

Final goal:
I have a business degree and know I don't always want to work for somebody. School is a stepping stone to get to that dream. I want to like what I'm doing since it is my plan B and nothing is guaranteed. I need a career where I am able to get an ample amount of time for my personal life but is secure. I have enough experience to know the importance of health, family and self. Money is second.

Pros of o.t.

1) seems autonomous
2) slower paced seemingly
3) ability to be creative (although not exactly my kind of creative)
4) 9-5 schedule (I don't necessarily think this is a good schedule only 2 days off by the time get home I'm sure no energy to invest to other things and comment really means (8-6) but
Idk people seem to think this is a pro
5) less stressful it seems (some agree some disagree)
6) a little more money than RN when first graduate
7) schooling is easier in my opinion

Concerns
1) I am not one that appreciate theories much (hence why I have never loved psych)
2) I am creative but like to have facts
3) Idk of it's actually effective
4) don't feel like I would use my medical knowledge ad much and would lose it
5) If I hate it, I'll probably be stuck (not enough flexibility)
6) it can seem extremely boring (some environments)
7) dependent on doctor referrals
8) I hated teaching so idk if that is going to be the same kind of teaching here?

Personality type: goal oriented, loyal, caring, sensitive, likes power/control, values being happy on the job, likes to work one on one.

Pros of nursing

1) opportunity to grow and grow my knowledge in life sciences
2) can see the difference you make quicker
3) since I am so unsure I may be able to get into the hospital and figure out what I really want to do and go towards that (except I'm kind of tired of school but I would consider N.P. or something administrative like case management?)
4) flexibility
Concerns about nursing
5) stepping stone to get to something better
6) fast schooling although I would have no life while in the program

1) fear of getting anxiety because of fast moving and potential to make such a huge mistake that can end a persons life
2) nurses are always complaining it seems and get "burnt out"...research has proven this
3) although I love life sciences as much as arts, I wonder if it's too "repetitive" and not creative enough for me
4) I wouldn't want to do bedside nursing for more than 2 years , what if I get "stuck" there and moving up or around becomes difficult?
5) strain on my body?( I am not the strongest individual and get have some odd days myself)
6) too emotionally draining?(I am caring and nurturing which makes me super sensitive)
7) lack of autonomy (I like being somewhat in control)
8) I can't tell if it is more of a "tactful repetitive job"( I hate jobs like that, I like to use my brain to solve problems)
9) no time for family or my side hobbies which is #1 priority
10) nurses eat their Young?
11) teamwork issues (nurses that are lazy or don't care)

Pleaasseeeeeeee help me make this decision!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:34 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
Tough choice. I work in healthcare (as a social worker) and I'm around nurses and OTs all the time. Both have lots of job security, there are plenty of job options, and the pay is good. And most enjoy their jobs (otherwise they quit FAST).

Is it possible to do another job shadow of each one, this time in a different setting?

It sounds like your long-term goal is management/business related, in which case, I think a BSN/RN (with maybe a MSN later on) might be your best bet. It also sounds like you place a high priority on personal time for hobbies and family; really once you finish school, and deal with a year or two of getting some good experience under your belt (most nurses and doctors have told me that nurses do much better in the long run with a year or two of acute care experience) , you'll have plenty of options, as far as jobs. There's lots of nursing options that are part time or PRN that pay well and might suit you.

Hopefully some nurses or OTs will chime in here. Good luck to you!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
If psychology is a weak subject that you don't care for, then occupational therapy is not for you. There is a reason why OT requires psychology and/or sociology courses as prerequisites. OT relies heavily on the behavioral sciences. By the way, every science has theories and lots of them. Medicine is not an exact science. Every single person is different, so solutions often have to be found by trial and error.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:30 PM

154 posts, read 307,885 times
I'm surprised that you have no interest in SLP (speech language pathology) given your interests and ultimate goals.

I have seen a lot more OTs and SLPs open their own businesses than RN/MSN. If you are looking to open and operate your own private practice, OT or SLP would absolutely be the way to go. As an RN or especially MSN, you can get into healthcare administration, but you're still working for someone else.

As far as quality of life and scheduling goes, an awful lot of OTs and SLPs work per diem and have a lot of control over their schedules. Nurses.... I've met maybe a handful of nurses who work decent schedules. (I've been in healthcare for years, in a variety of settings, and of course have plenty of personal friends who are RNs, MSNs, ARNPs, etc.)

Obviously I'm a big fan of OT/SLP as a career path, but I think you should shadow more OTs, RNs, etc., within a variety of settings/roles. See if you can set up some informational interviews, too, particularly with graduates of the programs you are considering.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:11 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanboston View Post
Obviously I'm a big fan of OT/SLP as a career path, but I think you should shadow more OTs, RNs, etc., within a variety of settings/roles. See if you can set up some informational interviews, too, particularly with graduates of the programs you are considering.
I'll second this advice; Patsfanboston beat me.

I think part of the reason you're having trouble deciding is because you need more real-world "what's the day-to-day work like at A, B, and C?" sort of data.

I can't comment too much on the specific OT/RN choice, except that OT/SLP do have more private practices in my area and the BSN nurses I've known who had the money have tried to get into medical coding and related careers in their late 30s. Their feet and backs were killing them by that point, so how well you will "age" in the fields might be worth exploring, as well.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 AM

50,737 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerconfused123 View Post
Hello everyone I would really like some help making a very important career decision. I have been in school for quite sometime and frankly I am ready to start my life. I have made a lot of sacrifices and this career decision is not only important for my own happiness but so that I can finally help support my wonderful but financially struggling family as the male. . Occupational therapist or nursing? I have already been accepted into several programs and both are affordable o.t would just be about $8000 more, I just have to decide. I know this is a lot but I need all the help.

Background
Strong subject areas: anatomy and physiology, biology, business
Strong interests: diseases, immune system, causes for emotional issues, holistic medicine and cures, entrepreneurship, music, fashion.
Weak areas (I get A's but do not retain much if not used): chemistry, mathematics , microbiology
Weak interests ( I pass but don't care for) psychology, political science, history
Jobs I.hated: teacher assistant (teachers are not respected and not too good at connecting with non-adults unless for a specific goal), waitress ( was absolutely miserable bc messy, stressful, no respect)
Components of jobs I love: moderate to slow paced so that person feels comfortably and task is completed very well, able to make a true difference in a person's life, I have a need to feel needed/wanted/appreciated.

Shadowing reaction:
Nursing: they are running around could barely talk and loads of paper work but love the money
O.T.: some disrespect from referral doctors (minimal), moderate-slow pace that I like

Final goal:
I have a business degree and know I don't always want to work for somebody. School is a stepping stone to get to that dream. I want to like what I'm doing since it is my plan B and nothing is guaranteed. I need a career where I am able to get an ample amount of time for my personal life but is secure. I have enough experience to know the importance of health, family and self. Money is second.

Pros of o.t.

1) seems autonomous
2) slower paced seemingly
3) ability to be creative (although not exactly my kind of creative)
4) 9-5 schedule (I don't necessarily think this is a good schedule only 2 days off by the time get home I'm sure no energy to invest to other things and comment really means (8-6) but
Idk people seem to think this is a pro
5) less stressful it seems (some agree some disagree)
6) a little more money than RN when first graduate
7) schooling is easier in my opinion

Concerns
1) I am not one that appreciate theories much (hence why I have never loved psych)
2) I am creative but like to have facts
3) Idk of it's actually effective
4) don't feel like I would use my medical knowledge ad much and would lose it
5) If I hate it, I'll probably be stuck (not enough flexibility)
6) it can seem extremely boring (some environments)
7) dependent on doctor referrals
8) I hated teaching so idk if that is going to be the same kind of teaching here?

Personality type: goal oriented, loyal, caring, sensitive, likes power/control, values being happy on the job, likes to work one on one.

Pros of nursing

3) since I am so unsure I may be able to get into the hospital and figure out what I really want to do and go towards that (except I'm kind of tired of school but I would consider N.P. or something administrative like case management?)
4) flexibility
Concerns about nursing
6) fast schooling although I would have no life while in the program

1) fear of getting anxiety because of fast moving and potential to make such a huge mistake that can end a persons life
2) nurses are always complaining it seems and get "burnt out"...research has proven this
3) although I love life sciences as much as arts, I wonder if it's too "repetitive" and not creative enough for me
4) I wouldn't want to do bedside nursing for more than 2 years , what if I get "stuck" there and moving up or around becomes difficult?
5) strain on my body?( I am not the strongest individual and get have some odd days myself)
6) too emotionally draining?(I am caring and nurturing which makes me super sensitive)
7) lack of autonomy (I like being somewhat in control)
8) I can't tell if it is more of a "tactful repetitive job"( I hate jobs like that, I like to use my brain to solve problems)
10) nurses eat their Young?

Pleaasseeeeeeee help me make this decision!!!!
I'm an OT with an LLC (I contract myself to nursing homes) but don't have much time before work, will be back later and add some detail...one thing though is totally opposite skill sets, I'd have been a bad nurse as soon as I had to put a trach in someone or take out their catheter. How are you with the idea you could kill someone with a mistake, with blood and guts kind of stuff?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,295,785 times
All the OTs I know love their job, have flexibility and get paid well. Most of the nurses I know are stressed, overworked and get paid well.

I know which one I'd pick...

Old 08-25-2014, 11:01 AM

50,737 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by careerconfused123 View Post
hello everyone i would really like some help making a very important career decision. I have been in school for quite sometime and frankly i am ready to start my life. I have made a lot of sacrifices and this career decision is not only important for my own happiness but so that i can finally help support my wonderful but financially struggling family as the male. . Occupational therapist or nursing? I have already been accepted into several programs and both are affordable o.t would just be about $8000 more, i just have to decide. I know this is a lot but i need all the help.

Background
strong subject areas: Anatomy and physiology, biology, business all fine for ot
strong interests: Diseases, immune system, causes for emotional issues, holistic medicine and cures, entrepreneurship, music, fashion.
Weak areas (i get a's but do not retain much if not used): Chemistry, mathematics , microbiology
weak interests ( i pass but don't care for) psychology, political science, history you only need a couple of psych classes for ot
jobs i.hated: Teacher assistan t (teachers are not respected and not too good at connecting with non-adults unless for a specific goal), waitress ( was absolutely miserable bc messy, stressful, no respect)
components of jobs i love: Moderate to slow paced so that person feels comfortably and task is completed very well, able to make a true difference in a person's life, i have a need to feel needed/wanted/appreciated.

Shadowing reaction:
Nursing: They are running around could barely talk and loads of paper work but love the money
o.t.: Some disrespect from referral doctors (minimal), moderate-slow pace that i like.

Final goal:
I have a business degree and know i don't always want to work for somebody. School is a stepping stone to get to that dream. I want to like what i'm doing since it is my plan b and nothing is guaranteed. I need a career where i am able to get an ample amount of time for my personal life but is secure. I have enough experience to know the importance of health, family and self. Money is second.

Pros of o.t.

1) seems autonomous it can be, depending where you work. I would say more so than nursing for sure
2) slower paced seemingly this also depends on setting. Nurses are crazy overworked, but therapy is not slow-paced unless you work in a non-profit setting (early intervention, pediatric school setting). In rehab, the schedule is very fast-paced. Today the other ot called out and i have to see 16 patients today, so fast-paced is the operative word today (i'm at lunch now). If you are in any kind of rehab facility, you will be under pressure for what is called "productivity" meaning a certain percentage of your day (for me it's 90%) must be billable to insurance or medicare. If doing my paperwork is going to bring me below 90%, i punch out before doing it or i do it at home. Either way i don't get paid for it. It's okay for it to be below once in a while, but if it happens more than 2-3 times in a week, i'll get a call from corporate, and if it kept happening i'd lose my job.
3) ability to be creative (although not exactly my kind of creative) yes
4) 9-5 schedule (i don't necessarily think this is a good schedule only 2 days off by the time get home i'm sure no energy to invest to other things and comment really means (8-6) but
idk people seem to think this is a pro schedule is variable. I can come in and leave whatever time i want to in general as long as i see all my people - i can work 7-3, 8-4, 9-5, 10-6, whatever. On the other hand, if our census drops and productivity declines, people will be sent home with less than 8 hours. Also most rehabs require weekends and holidays now, therapists take turns with them, because most insurance now requires the patient attend therapy at least 6 days a week. This is even more the case with nurses though. However on the other hand, i contract myself personally, i have an llc and work as a 1099, so i only work on the days i agree to work. But i needed years of experience before i could do this.
5) less stressful it seems (some agree some disagree) true in some respects, but certainly not stress-free. I have many patients with dementia or who are just angry and scared, and fight us everyday about coming to therapy. However if they don't come everyday, medicare will pay less for his entire stay, so the nursing home wil be furious with us, our corporate people wll be furious at us, and sometimes the patient's family. No matter how combatve, you gotta see the people for the days and times assigned, like it or not.
6) a little more money than rn when first graduate i don't know nurse's salaries, but i have absolutely no complaints in that department.
7) schooling is easier in my opinion if you're better in anatomy and worse in chemistry, ot school is easier than nursing.

concerns
1) i am not one that appreciate theories much (hence why i have never loved psych) theories are more used in school than the real world
2) i am creative but like to have facts i am not sure what you mean by this. What facts?
3) idk of it's actually effective depends on setting. The way this country operates rehabs, there is not much difference between pt and ot in daily life, we work together often. We do not do arts and crafts or things like that in rehab, insurance won't pay for it. We work on dressing skills, getting in and out of the tub or on and off the toilet, getting clothes out of the closets, making breakfast, using a walker in the kitchen etc. In certain settings like home care, ot is invaluable. We are also queens in the school system, and much more in demand than pt in special ed. In hospitals/rehabs in general, pt is more respected and they often refer to all of us as pt. It bothered me as a new grad, but now i don't care that much anymore.
4) don't feel like i would use my medical knowledge ad much and would lose it it is up to you to give yourself refreshers, but you will use it imo, everyday. We still have to monitor our patient's vitals and many are very complicated medically, we rehab people on trachs and vents, etc.
5) if i hate it, i'll probably be stuck (not enough flexibility) you can work in hospitals, outpatient/hand therapy, early intervention (birth-3) school systems, mental facilities, nursing homes, home care. It is as flexible as you could want from any job imo.
6) it can seem extremely boring (some environments) i find it fun, but then again i am extroverted and try to make therapy fun for my patients.
7) dependent on doctor referrals not the case except in outpatient or hospitals. In rehab, it's automatic that every single person is getting both pt and ot. In any other setting, all you have to do is call the doc and ask him to fax a prescription if you feel the person needs ot. In schools there are no docs involved.
8) i hated teaching so idk if that is going to be the same kind of teaching here? you are going to have to teach things in either ot or nursing. If you get a new diabetic as nurse, you will have to teach them to test their sugar and to inject themselves. Teaching is part of health care no matter what the field.

personality type: Goal oriented, loyal, caring, sensitive, likes power/control, values being happy on the job, likes to work one on one.

Pros of nursing

3) since i am so unsure i may be able to get into the hospital and figure out what i really want to do and go towards that (except i'm kind of tired of school but i would consider n.p. Or something administrative like case management?)
4) flexibility
concerns about nursing
6) fast schooling although i would have no life while in the program

3) although i love life sciences as much as arts, i wonder if it's too "repetitive" and not creative enough for me
4) i wouldn't want to do bedside nursing for more than 2 years , what if i get "stuck" there and moving up or around becomes difficult?
5) strain on my body?( i am not the strongest individual and get have some odd days myself)
6) too emotionally draining?(i am caring and nurturing which makes me super sensitive)
7) lack of autonomy (i like being somewhat in control)
8) i can't tell if it is more of a "tactful repetitive job"( i hate jobs like that, i like to use my brain to solve problems)
10) nurses eat their young?

pleaasseeeeeeee help me make this decision!!!!
hope some of this helps!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 PM

11 posts, read 20,624 times
I'm not OT, just OTA, but still can give you some insight on those professions.There are warning signs that I see: you don't have much of interest in teaching and psychology. Teaching is a HUGE part of OT. Nurses do instruct their patients, but it can not be compared to amount of time OTs spend teaching. All the time OT doesn't do evaluations he teaches how to do activities and exercises etc. OT is basically a mix of psychology with hard sciences like anatomy, physiology, so again, you don't have interest in something that is base of profession. In school, you don't have to take plenty of psych classes, just two of them and sociology, but it's important to have an interest in it as OT incorporates a lot of psychology aspect in a treatment. Also, you are misinformed about OT school is easier than nursing school. Those are not even on the same level of education, OT is much more advanced degree, and school is much harder to get in. Even OTA programs are A LOT of work. About nursing - you like slow paced work environment, so floor nursing most likely is not for you, but you can do home care for instance, or something else less intensive. It seems that your interests fit better nursing than OT. As an RN you can find setting that is not as stressful as floor nursing. Do as many hours of shadowing as you can before you go to either field, both professions are very special, and not for everyone.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,556 times
Default Insight?

I relate to your post almost 100%. At the point where I need to choose between accelerated nursing program and OT program. What progress have you made since your post? Discoveries? Would really appreciate insight. I've been in school forever and want to land the right profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment