Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times

Advertisements

Looking back at the places I have worked in the past it was amazing they stayed in business. So many people were lazy, inept and generally worthless but kept working there. Lots of mistakes, things that did not get done, outdated processes, poor use of technology and bad hires.

How are things at places you worked? If you were CEO and looking at firing people would you have a hard time finding people to fire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I've rarely worked anywhere where total ineptness was tolerated and in many cases (once my feet were wet and I'd established myself) I suggested and implemented procedures in order to increase productivity. In various positions as manager and business owner, I had no hesitation in sifting out and eventually letting go employees who failed to pull their weight.

As an employee or a manager/business owner you have a choice to either sit back and get all wrought up about such problems or find ways to fix them. Since you have, by your own admission, been fired "many many times", the path you opted to take was evidently not the right one.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I have experienced this in low wage service jobs where nobody really gets paid enough or plans to stay long enough to care. The pay was so low that it was hard to get people to show up yet alone put any effort into the work. The higher ups usually looked the other way and were glad you bothered to show up. The higher ups were usually stealing from the registers anyway.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
Yes, in just about every job I've had since I finished college in 1991 I've seen incompetence. While I personally don't understand keeping those employees around, almost every company did. In only one instance did the company do something about it, but it was only after the affected co-workers (myself included) got so sick and tired of it that we went as a group to the hiring manager and said, "It's either her or us - but somebody's leaving." They opted to fire her instead of losing the remaining 4-5 admins in the office and being left only with the one that wasn't able to do her job.

But even in my current job I was recently given a new task at work, taking it over from someone who was leaving to go work in another department in the company. She trained me how to do it the day before she left. The next day I logged in to begin working on it only to find that she hadn't kept the database updated in SIX MONTHS, resulting a major backlog in addition to the stuff that was being added every day in the present.

I dove in and it took me two weeks to get through the entire backlog while still processing incoming data. At some point I got a call from someone in a peripheral department thanking me for getting the backlog taken care of, and that they had a devil of a time trying to get the original person to do it. Apparently I was lucky it was only a six month backlog, and not something more.

What's crazy is that now that the database is up to date at all times, I only need to work on it 30 minutes a day. It remains up-to-date at all times and there is no backlog. For 30 minutes of work. I can't believe the other person couldn't find 30 minutes in her day to do it. She wasn't that busy in the first place.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
I have some friends and family members who work or worked in non profit and gov't jobs and they all agree, that they have a lot of lazy as hell people there. Not a day goes by that my sister does not complain about how lazy some of her coworkers are, including her managers. She works for a non profit and but they contract with the state and she has to deal with state employees. Things that would take a week for her to do, it takes state employees months to do and get back to her from the state. That drives her up the wall.

A friend who worked in non profit and his organization also works directly with local gov't. He later moved on to private sector. He could not believe how lazy and inefficient non profit and gov't sector was. He said that it was a night a day thing. Couldn't believe how well the private sector was run. I remember a story he told me about his old non profit job, they couldn't fired one of his coworker who had abandon her job six months ago. LMFAO. How the hell can you not fired someone who stop coming to work 6 freaking months ago? ROFL.

Hell, I don't even want to go into some of the stories my cousin tells me that goes on when he worked in CA state prison............

Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 AM

217 posts, read 314,282 times
It should be common. I mean com'on, workers don't own the company so why should they care. Only goal is to collect a paycheck.

Only suckers bust their butts for something that is not theirs. You get paid either way.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Tora, how do I get in touch with you and hire you? Wow. Great attitude.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:33 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Tora, how do I get in touch with you and hire you? Wow. Great attitude.
You probably don't have a dead-end position open which is sufficiently low on the totem pole to accommodate him.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:33 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Not currently.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:37 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Oh yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment