Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Don't bother even replying to people like that. I have heard enough of that communist rhetoric - wealth is limited, money is limited, everyone should work according to his abilities and be paid according to his needs. Blah, blah, blah. When you move up in the world there are already thousands of young adults who just became of age and able to legally work who will take over the min wage jobs. It is a constant cycle.

Planning to live on min wage for the rest of your life just means the person is a fing loser. Nothing more, nothing less.
Teens are finding it harder to find jobs because people are not moving up the cycle is not working like you say it is. How do you know they are a loser because they work on min wage they could have a college degree, they could be a hard worker but that is all they can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 12:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Actually in my experience low ended work should pretty much be automated and any position for that work would have higher requirements and is reclassified as more of a professional job. It IS something we are doing now because I speak to employers.

Case in point no one should do "data entry" when this is easily automated. My first job was counting corporate votes manually by hand. Then it was automated with optical character readers, not that hard. Then pretty much all votes are done online. It fixes itself.

No one stays on minimum wage their entire life. There are direct correlations between age, education and higher wages.

Another example of automation is solar compactors replacing trash barrels. If you pay someone to collect trash they will waste time going from barrel to barrel. Solar compactors send a signal when they are full which lowers the amount of labor involved. Just as with janitors you can reduce costs and waste by going with hand driers rather then paper towels. You can also go in an office from paper documentation to the cloud and so forth. There's lots of ways that low ended work can be brought up and professionalized.

I worked for minimum wage when I was a young adult. I moved on as did everyone else that worked with me. You take what you can and leave. Businesses will court those as anything is better then that one.

Nickel and Dimed contends that some people DO stay more or less at minimum wage their entire life. Liberals have long entertained the notion of two distinct job sectors, 'primary' or good jobs, and 'secondary' of inferior jobs.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:03 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Personally I'm glad there are minimum wage jobs. First off they provide some work experience for a first time worker. Second off those are good jobs for those who don't have the intellectual capacity to do more advanced work and would otherwise end up on welfare.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:56 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Personally I'm glad there are minimum wage jobs. First off they provide some work experience for a first time worker. Second off those are good jobs for those who don't have the intellectual capacity to do more advanced work and would otherwise end up on welfare.
Yes I'm glad they exist too.

I just want them to pay enough for a person to live.

Imagine that, a job that pays the worker enough that the worker can actually survive on it...

Old 09-04-2014, 04:42 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
This concept about living wages and minimum wages is more than omnipresent in this forum. It is virtually brought up in every thread posted. I however have a huge issue with it.

For me folks who want to be paid a "fair" minimum wage that is also a living wage live in a dream that is really a nightmare. They wait on the government or on their employer to improve their lot in life and to take responsibility for the poor choices they have taken in the past.
I see, so you started the thread to look down on others and judge them, while playing the blame the victim game. What do you get out of that? Does it make you feel superior?

Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
It's not JUST low wages. It's the proliferation of part time jobs as well. Companies hire part time because they can in this economy. How long can people work multiple crappy jobs with no PTO, no benefits, no healthcare? Providing no benefits is a huge savings to these companies. I believe those savings should be passed on to the workers who now are required to buy health insurance. Maybe there should be a premium minimum wage for part timers. Anyway, there needs to be no financial advantage for companies hiring part time to avoid paying for benefits.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:02 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Mandating the minimum wage be raised, in the absence of bringing down the other costs of doing business, is nothing but an inflation trap for the suckers.

Frankly, the minimum wage should be abolished enitrely.

So you think you can mandate more wages be paid out? And you think that those costs don’t get passed on to you as the end consumer?

Since this typically affects fast food workers, think about what has happened to the cost of said fast food, in just a few short years.

Remember the Carl’s Jr. “Six Dollar Burger” promo–a high end sit-down restaurant burger at a fast food half price? It isn’t half the formerly $6 price anymore, is it? Now it is about $6.

Soon the extra value fast food meals, which a few years ago were $5-$6 and are now about $8-$9, will be $12-$14.

And then those who demand “a living wage” will say they need even more.

“Running to stand still”, as the U2 song goes. They demand more wage money, but they never do anything to lower the cost of the inputs other than labor, in fact, they jack those up too, with various “green” mandates.

Stagflation, here we come.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Most people working minimum wage jobs are also on welfare, so I don't think that point is valid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Mandating the minimum wage be raised, in the absence of bringing down the other costs of doing business, is nothing but an inflation trap for the suckers.

Frankly, the minimum wage should be abolished enitrely.

So you think you can mandate more wages be paid out? And you think that those costs don’t get passed on to you as the end consumer?

Since this typically affects fast food workers, think about what has happened to the cost of said fast food, in just a few short years.

Remember the Carl’s Jr. “Six Dollar Burger” promo–a high end sit-down restaurant burger at a fast food half price? It isn’t half the formerly $6 price anymore, is it? Now it is about $6.

Soon the extra value fast food meals, which a few years ago were $5-$6 and are now about $8-$9, will be $12-$14.

And then those who demand “a living wage” will say they need even more.

“Running to stand still”, as the U2 song goes. They demand more wage money, but they never do anything to lower the cost of the inputs other than labor, in fact, they jack those up too, with various “green” mandates.

Stagflation, here we come.
You seem upset that people want to be paid enough to feed themselves, and will want raises if the price of food goes up.

Anyway, the implication of your argument seems to be that the cost of food went up while minimum wages didn't increase, therefore somehow (?) if minimum wage increases enough for people to eat again that will somehow (?) drive up the price of food and cancel out the gain, which will somehow (?) cause stagflation? I think maybe you don't have a good grasp of macroeconomics.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:34 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
You seem upset that people want to be paid enough to feed themselves, and will want raises if the price of food goes up.
You really don't get why the food price goes up, do you? Especially take out food, for which labor is a big cost.

Quote:
Anyway, the implication of your argument seems to be that the cost of food went up while minimum wages didn't increase, therefore somehow (?) if minimum wage increases enough for people to eat again
Puhleeze. The poor, if anything, are obese. Get real.

They are asking for the mandate to get more money for other things. However, for any good or service for which labor is a driving force, all this does is drive up the cost of labor and cancel out the gain.

Quote:
that will somehow (?) drive up the price of food and cancel out the gain, which will somehow (?) cause stagflation?
Yes, Frankie, that's right!

Old 09-04-2014, 11:48 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Puhleeze. The poor, if anything, are obese. Get real.
Maybe because poor people only have the time and money to eat fast food?
Quote:
They are asking for the mandate to get more money for other things. However, for any good or service for which labor is a driving force, all this does is drive up the cost of labor and cancel out the gain.
Minimum wage labor is nowhere close to all or the majority of the price of fast food. It makes no sense, therefore, to assume the price increase would cancel out the gain in income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment