Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Mandating the minimum wage be raised, in the absence of bringing down the other costs of doing business, is nothing but an inflation trap for the suckers.

Frankly, the minimum wage should be abolished enitrely.

So you think you can mandate more wages be paid out? And you think that those costs don’t get passed on to you as the end consumer?

Since this typically affects fast food workers, think about what has happened to the cost of said fast food, in just a few short years.

Remember the Carl’s Jr. “Six Dollar Burger” promo–a high end sit-down restaurant burger at a fast food half price? It isn’t half the formerly $6 price anymore, is it? Now it is about $6.

Soon the extra value fast food meals, which a few years ago were $5-$6 and are now about $8-$9, will be $12-$14.

And then those who demand “a living wage” will say they need even more.

“Running to stand still”, as the U2 song goes. They demand more wage money, but they never do anything to lower the cost of the inputs other than labor, in fact, they jack those up too, with various “green” mandates.

Stagflation, here we come.
Do high CEO salaries cause inflation? Do high doctor salaries cause inflation? Do high realtor salaries cause inflation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 12:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Do high CEO salaries cause inflation? Do high doctor salaries cause inflation? Do high realtor salaries cause inflation?
Doctors do because of the cost of healthcare causing more costs to insure individuals and families through employer plans and the individual market.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:38 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
To a much lesser extent, they do.

But if the person is worth his / her salt, s/he brings more to the organization.

I know it is hard for you to admit that some people *do* bring more skillsets into work than do the grunts, but that is the real world.

PS--realtors and brokers are paid entirely on commissions, not salaries. But thanks for playing....

Old 09-04-2014, 01:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:

But if the person is worth his / her salt, s/he brings more to the organization.

I know it is hard for you to admit that some people *do* bring more skillsets into work than do the grunts, but that is the real world.

PS--realtors and brokers are paid entirely on commissions, not salaries. But thanks for playing....
Part of the reason they do to a lesser extent is how many there are. There are only so many Executive Officers and board members. Many actually are CEOs of other companies and the board of others. I know this is the case with Disney. After the Pixar purchase, Steve Jobs while he may not have been on the board, was the largest stockholder of the Walt Disney Company because he owned Pixar after George Lucas put it up to sale following his divorce in the mid 1980's. Not staying the whole anti-CEO rhetoric again, but it is important to remember that many CEOs are also on other board of directors for different companies.

The doctors part, I mentioned in an earlier post.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:15 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:

I'm not sure I'd class a group of people who apparently can't run an organization profitably, without relying on workers being paid less than they need to afford food, as "worth his/her salt".

Old 09-04-2014, 02:38 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
The fallacy of the living minimum wage is that whatever it is, it will never be enough. Human nature is such that we always want more.

The other fallacy is that it is usually a completely arbitrary number with no economic data backing it up. Pretty much anytime you hear a politician say "the minimum wage should be $X", they are pulling that number from their nether regions.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:41 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
If we pay workers enough to eat, then they'll just want somewhere to sleep. If we let them sleep, they'll want to see a doctor. Where will the madness end?!?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
If we pay workers enough to eat, then they'll just want somewhere to sleep. If we let them sleep, they'll want to see a doctor. Where will the madness end?!?
Yea, food, shelter, and medical care aren't human necessities.

Quote:
Mandating the minimum wage be raised, in the absence of bringing down the other costs of doing business, is nothing but an inflation trap for the suckers.

Frankly, the minimum wage should be abolished enitrely.

So you think you can mandate more wages be paid out? And you think that those costs don’t get passed on to you as the end consumer?
You are just another person who has absolutely no idea what causes inflation. Minimum wage does not cause inflation.

Quote:
You really don't get why the food price goes up, do you? Especially take out food, for which labor is a big cost.
Actually, I do. Food price inflation is a cost-push inflation. It goes up as the costs go up. Contrary to popular belief, labor is a small fraction of the cost of food production. Food production is extremely energy intensive. The price of energy determines the price of food. Whether we pay our burger flippers, $8 / hour or $20 / hour, food prices will go up and down depending on how much oil is going for in the Middle East. Energy is the one inelastic global demand. Demand drives inflation, not your petty bickering over who gets paid what.

Quote:
They are asking for the mandate to get more money for other things. However, for any good or service for which labor is a driving force, all this does is drive up the cost of labor and cancel out the gain.
Yep, labor is all the costs a fast food restaurant has.

They don't have to worry about health inspections, equipment maintenance, energy costs, food prices & transport costs, or building upkeep.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:27 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Default Poor choices you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
This concept about living wages and minimum wages is more than omnipresent in this forum. It is virtually brought up in every thread posted. I however have a huge issue with it.

For me folks who want to be paid a "fair" minimum wage that is also a living wage live in a dream that is really a nightmare. They wait on the government or on their employer to improve their lot in life and to take responsibility for the poor choices they have taken in the past.

Folks like that are not lazy and they do not lack motivation. They work their min wage jobs and head home for a 5 hour Call of Duty or online poker marathon, or focus on designing their next tattoo. That takes motivation and focus. What they lack is taking responsibility for themselves and finding out ways to improve their lot in life and being able to get a higher paying job. If you leave it up to the government or to your employer to solve your money problems, then you are a fool. I have no sympathy for you.

No it ain't easy, it ain't the American Dream but it is the reality of the situation. You either adapt and prosper or keep waiting for the gov to raise min wage. Guess what, no matter how much they raise min wage, you will still be earning min wage. Why would anyone want to earn that little is beyond me. No one is stopping folks from advancing in life, except for themselves. So if you don't take steps to improve your earning potention be sure that no one else will do it for you.
I've had high school dropouts from the old neighborhood make fun of my education. I still think that they deserve to be above the poverty line if they work forty hours a week or more. For thirty years the corporate media has been drumming trickle down nonsense into our ears. Trickle down works only for the wealthy. Raising the minimum wage benefits the neighborhoods and the businesses in the area that these people work in not some bank account in the Caymans.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
This concept about living wages and minimum wages is more than omnipresent in this forum. It is virtually brought up in every thread posted. I however have a huge issue with it.

For me folks who want to be paid a "fair" minimum wage that is also a living wage live in a dream that is really a nightmare. They wait on the government or on their employer to improve their lot in life and to take responsibility for the poor choices they have taken in the past.

Folks like that are not lazy and they do not lack motivation. They work their min wage jobs and head home for a 5 hour Call of Duty or online poker marathon, or focus on designing their next tattoo. That takes motivation and focus. What they lack is taking responsibility for themselves and finding out ways to improve their lot in life and being able to get a higher paying job. If you leave it up to the government or to your employer to solve your money problems, then you are a fool. I have no sympathy for you.

No it ain't easy, it ain't the American Dream but it is the reality of the situation. You either adapt and prosper or keep waiting for the gov to raise min wage. Guess what, no matter how much they raise min wage, you will still be earning min wage. Why would anyone want to earn that little is beyond me. No one is stopping folks from advancing in life, except for themselves. So if you don't take steps to improve your earning potention be sure that no one else will do it for you.
You are right. Screwdriver this. I'm tired of busting my internet edited making someone else rich while getting paid peanuts. I'm going to quit and just not pay any bills until I find a job that pays me whAt I deserve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment