Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM

435 posts, read 636,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I admit that I do that. Part of it's also down to a small degree of resentment, too. I think people flooding into DFW have ruined the character of the area (what little character it had) and made it a worse AND much more expensive place to live than it used to be.

(I was born and raised here.)
True. And if someone isn't interested in putting down roots, they don't contribute much to the community. They seem to be overly focused on what they can "get", rather than what they can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:47 PM

435 posts, read 636,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camanchaca View Post
The big problem with moving to Texas to look for work is that when you're done, you're living in Texas.
Which is why so many people move away eventually. Also, many move away because they didn't wind up getting the job they wanted.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,660,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
True. And if someone isn't interested in putting down roots, they don't contribute much to the community. They seem to be overly focused on what they can "get", rather than what they can give.

I'm sorry, I just have to ask. Why would anyone be interested in putting down roots in a place they get such a chilly reception that people won't even speak to them?

Sounds friendly! And seriously, I'm not even interested in ever visiting the state after reading this, and it's one of the few I haven't gotten to.

If I ever decide I want to say I've been to all the states, I guess I'll fly in, walk to another gate and fly out.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:27 PM

12,073 posts, read 8,472,699 times
Jessica Lange left Hollywood to return to Stillwater, MN. I cringed. Now that the changes have been made she wants to leave.

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Last winter, Lange, a native of Cloquet, Minn., bemoaned the changes in Stillwater in an interview with the New York Daily News.
"When we first moved to Stillwater it felt like a real place," she told the Daily News. "It had a downtown with a hardware store, a furniture store, a clothing store. Now it's all gift shops and these terrible condominiums. It was a little town with a great deal of character. Everything gets yuppified, I guess."

With all the mobility we have these days local cultures really take a beating. There's a dreadful homogenization going on in the states (and the world, I suspect, from what I've seen in my travels.)

Oprah's right. We old people have to die. The younger generations won't even be aware of what they are missing - true diversity.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:16 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,487,704 times
@OP, I'd go so far as to say you shouldn't go anywhere without a job lined up, but 1) some folks have made it work and 2) yeah, TX seems to get a lot of that.

A semi-recent issue is TX forsees having infrastructure problems... it won't have enough water and electricity for all of its citizens at this rate, and something needs to be done to keep traffic from getting congested to horrible levels. TX won't want to raise taxes unless it can help it, as that's what made it appealing to businesses (especially ones that it "poaches" from CA), which in turn attracts more residents with jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camanchaca View Post
The big problem with moving to Texas to look for work is that when you're done, you're living in Texas.
I've got extended family that lives in the suburbs outside of Houston. They've had steady work for what it seems like forever... at least they've been there for decades. I hope they never get laid off. OTOH, they should be able to find new work if that were to happen.

On the plus side, I've been there somewhat recently, and it appears cost of living and food is cheap there.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:21 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,012,924 times
So should unemployed people in states where there are 0 opportunities just stick around and blow through their savings, or move to a new state where there's at least a chance of success? As you know, you need to be local to get hired.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:34 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,487,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
So should unemployed people in states where there are 0 opportunities just stick around and blow through their savings, or move to a new state where there's at least a chance of success? As you know, you need to be local to get hired.
Depends on the job. Some jobs will accept out of state applicants, and the few expect it knowing there won't be folks nearby to scoop up.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:38 PM

303 posts, read 396,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
People who live in major cities like Dallas and Houston are also tired of transients and drifters, showing up demanding jobs and help from the locals.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of all Texans... except maybe Austinites - they tired of ya'll.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:40 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,012,924 times
That's cute. We all know the EL job market has so many applicants that you need to be local to get a call back. If you have no job, there's no reason to spend money living in a place where you have no opportunity. Move somewhere where you have a chance. Maybe it's Texas, maybe it's some other state.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm sorry, I just have to ask. Why would anyone be interested in putting down roots in a place they get such a chilly reception that people won't even speak to them?

Sounds friendly! And seriously, I'm not even interested in ever visiting the state after reading this, and it's one of the few I haven't gotten to.

If I ever decide I want to say I've been to all the states, I guess I'll fly in, walk to another gate and fly out.
You're generally too rational to accept the opinion of one rant as indicative of an entire populace.

We love visitors here in Austin - just don't move here and try by change it into wherever you came from!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment