Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 PM

659 posts, read 941,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
Bottom line tho, for me atleast, the allure of Texas is the housing. The houses are huge, brick, and cheap per square foot. It's also somthing diff. I been in Cali for 32 years and this place has gotten worse n worse, from jobs, to housing, to government. Laws and ordinances, things of that nature can b ridiculous. Car regulations are the worst. You can go broke tryna get ya car smogged...either way I'm prolly makin the move. Gotta take that leap...I'll either love it or regret it but atleast I did it...
Does the housing part also include apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 06:06 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Vocal fry is everywhere here now. Every time I talk to another female it's like talking to a friggin' Kardashian. Uptalking and vocal fry everywhere. It's so obnoxious.
Oh that's nothing new...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB8JVTDOK-g

Vocal Fry's older sister

(I had to look up what vocal fry was and it hurts my voice to do that...unless my throat is already sore...but then I sound more like kim carnes rather than kim kardashian).

Old 09-10-2014, 06:06 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
For those of you talking about Texas like you live there and you don't I would advise you to stop giving false impressions. Texas is very large, region by region things are different, city by city things are different. I live and work in Houston and wouldn't pretend to know anything about Dallas/Ft. Worth area, because I don't and things are different (same goes for SA and Austin).

Old 09-10-2014, 06:13 PM

61 posts, read 74,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Does the housing part also include apartments?
Yup. Apartments are expensive too unless you want to live in a less than attractive neighborhood with poor schools. 1bd 1bth in decent neighborhood will run $1000 plus bare minimum.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We have community pools but a lot of them close during the summer. For example, our outdoor community pools in Richardson are now closed for the season; they are only open during the summer months (late May to early September). I have no idea about HOA pools. A lot of cities have indoor pools at recreation centers and I'd assume those are open year-round. A lot of gyms have them too. In a lot of new subdivisions, the yards aren't really big enough for a decent pool. You could build one, but it'd take up your whole yard.

As for smogging cars...we have emissions standards here too. Not CA-style, but my fear is that the more people who move here (and bring their cars), the more polluted our air will get.
Yea here too with the small back yard thing. All new homes backyards are basically 10x10 LOL...

Old 09-10-2014, 06:16 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,780 times
Bah, everybody is moving everywhere looking for opportunity, not just DFW.

I jumped around to several states working for contractors here and there over the past decade, but I'm not here because I love this state, or culture, or the jobs (frankly it doesn't pay to be in construction here in DFW, labor rates are too low). My wife and her family are natives. I used to be very prejudiced towards southerners, and she likewise of northerners/yankees. But life happens so now I'm here with no intention of going anywhere anytime soon.

Thing I've learned in my travels is try to find the things each place does well and embrace those things. Sure I'm still gonna try to find a good cheesesteak or italian food, but a Texan would at least try to find good texmex, or smoked briscuit if they found themselves up north for a while. Trust me, I've been on the other end with southern folk scoffing at our bbq.

I've found things about DFW that I really enjoy so I try to focus on enjoying those things rather than always lamenting experiences I've left behind in other states and cities. I do enjoy connecting with other transplants though, it's like the one thing you can have in common with somebody you'd otherwise have nothing in common with.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 PM

506 posts, read 326,946 times
There's no place that you can live just because there are "many jobs" around there. You have to actually GET one of the jobs to make money.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
For those of you talking about Texas like you live there and you don't I would advise you to stop giving false impressions. Texas is very large, region by region things are different, city by city things are different. I live and work in Houston and wouldn't pretend to know anything about Dallas/Ft. Worth area, because I don't and things are different (same goes for SA and Austin).
So how does Houston treat their transplants? Lol.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_mcfly22 View Post
So how does Houston treat their transplants? Lol.
Crap man, I'm one of 5.5-6 million people in DFW. I don't represent everyone here, nor would I pretend to.

Are there people here who share my opinion of transplants in general? Hell yes.
Are there people here who think I'm nuts for not wanting more people to move here? Hell yes.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:48 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,854 times
I was in Dallas and Phoenix this summer. Don't care about the humidity, Phoenix is way hotter. Maybe Houston is worse than Dallas, but go to Phoenix, and 118 is 118.

The people here saying you need to live in TX for 5-10 years before being willing to talk to you sound like the type of people I wouldn't want to be friends with anyway. Eerily similar to "entry-level" job postings looking for 5+ years of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment