Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:52 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,491,374 times

Advertisements

My new-construction neighborhood (southern Houston suburb) is about half-and-half native Texans (not necessarily native Houstonians) and people from other states. There's a great community vibe and everyone is welcome. A lot of the transplants moved here to find work. Some started their own business when they got here. Others were in fields - teaching, healthcare - where there's much more of a demand here than elsewhere. Some are military families. Now that these families are established, some have convinced their parents or siblings to move here too. I love the vibe.

I do think it is very real that small towns, especially in southeast Texas, will be very polite to newcomers but not necessarily welcome you in. By newcomers, they mean anyone who didn't grow up in that town - you grew up in the next county over? you're still a newcomer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 10:45 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,415,084 times
I've been to Austin, Houston, Dallas, and El Paso on business. Texas seems like a place for material wealth. Everything in the major cities is chains, strip malls, highways, and suburban office parks.

Thanks but no thanks. A lot of my northern friends want to move to Texas because they heard its cheap and there are jobs. I generally discourage them from doing so. New York and Texas are quite different.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:57 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,860,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Thanks but no thanks. A lot of my northern friends want to move to Texas because they heard its cheap and there are jobs. I generally discourage them from doing so. New York and Texas are quite different.
Awesome! Keep it up please!

New York and Texas ARE wildly different - I'd be unable to replicate my lifestyle and find everything I want/love about Texas in NY and vice versa. Too many people just go off Internet hype.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,749,071 times
Quote:
I've been to Austin, Houston, Dallas, and El Paso on business. Texas seems like a place for material wealth. Everything in the major cities is chains, strip malls, highways, and suburban office parks.

For someone that has been on business in TX, but has never actually lived here you have a lot to say about it don't you? Why don't you teach the rest of us Texans more about our state, please?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:18 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,415,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Awesome! Keep it up please!

New York and Texas ARE wildly different - I'd be unable to replicate my lifestyle and find everything I want/love about Texas in NY and vice versa. Too many people just go off Internet hype.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
For someone that has been on business in TX, but has never actually lived here you have a lot to say about it don't you? Why don't you teach the rest of us Texans more about our state, please?
If there is a place in Texas for a liberal black guy that rides a bike, is atheist, and likes cold weather - please let me know.

I've been there enough times to know I probably wouldn't like it. A lot of my friends from up here with similar lifestyles randomly point out Texas as their place to be, despite never setting foot in the state.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:32 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,774,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Native Texans don't like outsiders or transplants... that want to change Texas. Come here with an attitude, and just like anywhere else, you will get attitude back. Come here with an open mind and open arms, and you will be hard pressed to find a friendlier state. Unless of course you move to a neighborhood full of transplants...
Just not true. I moved from Arizona to New Jersey, and the most friendly people I have met. People introduced themselves when we moved in, invited us to block parties to get to know everyone. Beyond friendly.

We moved to Texas, as I stated before last year. We have put ourselves 'out there' open minded, volunteering, inviting people over, attending several events. People just don't want to be bothered with new friends.

I know over time this will change, and not everyone has the same experience.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:34 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,774,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
I apologize on behalf of Collin County.

The area is full of transplants; I can't say that it's particularly Texan. Plano has had several teen suicide waves... it's not somewhere I would choose to live.

Having said that, and speaking as a native Texan:

1) avoid talking about politics. Collin County is especially red, and you come from a blue state.
2) do you go to church? this is often how connections are made, even if it's a non-denominational Unitarian church.
3) do not talk about gun control.
4) develop a love of football - or if you don't care for it, don't talk about it.

I'm not a good fit for Collin County - I do go to church, but the rest... I would not fit in.

There are various vibes to be found in the Metroplex - if you're not tied to that area, why not look around for a better fit?
Our kids are in High School and Junior High, not going to put them through another move.

I am very good about adapting to others views and know when to talk about certain subjects and when not to I mostly keep myself off the topic of politics!!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:49 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,280,429 times
Quote:
Agreed.

If there is a place in Texas for a liberal black guy that rides a bike, is atheist, and likes cold weather - please let me know.

I've been there enough times to know I probably wouldn't like it. A lot of my friends from up here with similar lifestyles randomly point out Texas as their place to be, despite never setting foot in the state.

There are places like that. Minus the cold weather. American Atheists is hq in Austin.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 PM

716 posts, read 1,239,748 times
I always see people from Florida(where I live) move to Texas and pretty much all of them talk about how easy it is to get jobs in Texas and most of these people have no education or anything close to it so I keep thinking if it's that easy maybe I should do it too but I probably wouldn't cus it might not be "southern" enough for me that's the vibe I get but idk seems boring from afar but on the plus side it seems very cheap to live

Old 09-11-2014, 12:05 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,176,998 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Austin hits all of those except cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment