Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:20 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,397 times

Advertisements

I have been at my current position for 8 years , and have really liked it up to this point. However , for austerity measures , they have opted to hire temps. Having been a temp over a decade ago , I have no qualms about them , as several have transitioned into excellent employees. Unfortunately , as of recent , the quality/intelligence has declined significantly. Immature , careless , ghetto types have been sent here , and I am torn between pushing to have them removed , or dealing with it. Whenever I encounter them , there is always some extra BS they seem to purposely say in an attempt to lower me to their level. They can't even add/subtract , as one who was completing their hours worked 3.75 one day , and 5.25 the following day , and asked me if I could add it for them!! I overheard two of them stating surreptitiously that I 'act like I'm not playing with a full deck' , but I chose to ignore them , as I have no time for hearsay , and they were alone until I entered the corridor. I don't even look forward to coming to work anymore , even on Friday due to this. The other admins are aware of this , and we have initiated plans to pursue different agencies. Until then , as well as afterward , the aforementioned 'bags of water' will remain. How have any of you all dealt with this? I've gotten to the point where my dreams about being at work have taken a proceedingly negative tone , and I don't even venture outside anymore unless it's work related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Where are they getting these people? Maybe HR is attempting to provide job opportunities to the disadvantaged of the area and hiring people off the streets.
We use temps at times but they are pre-screened from a local agency. We see their resume, and if we try them an they are not up to our standards we send them back and get someone else.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:19 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,397 times
They are using a well known agency , one that I too have worked for in the past , and enjoyed. I think it is just those particular persons , as every other has been good. I also believe that they may have simply slipped through the proverbial cracks , and somehow manipulated the process , maybe giving false first impressions just to obtain the position , then revealing their true selves when their tenure begins.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:55 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
The agencies are probably taking advantage of the Workers Investment Act and getting thousands in tax write offs from the government.

I really believe that if these agencies are going to use people like this, then they should put them in a workshop on office etiquette. Many of these people don't know and like everything else, they're going to learn from trial and error when they shouldn't have to.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:00 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times
You get what you pay for.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:34 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
The minute you involve a temp agency you become everyone's last choice for employment. Who wants to work with a middleman skimming a significant portion of their pay and not giving any benefits?

Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
The agencies are probably taking advantage of the Workers Investment Act and getting thousands in tax write offs from the government.

I really believe that if these agencies are going to use people like this, then they should put them in a workshop on office etiquette. Many of these people don't know and like everything else, they're going to learn from trial and error when they shouldn't have to.
You're probably right on this.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:17 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
You get what you pay for.
Correct.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:24 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The minute you involve a temp agency you become everyone's last choice for employment. Who wants to work with a middleman skimming a significant portion of their pay and not giving any benefits?
A lot of people do, myself included. There are times when it's advantageous and even desirable to go the temp route. I've temped on occasion in the past to supplement income or when in transition between jobs, and am in the latter circumstance currently. "Thank you for not generalizing."

The OP should get off the passive-aggressive train and make one quick phone call to the agency to be rid of the problem people.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
They are using a well known agency , one that I too have worked for in the past , and enjoyed. I think it is just those particular persons , as every other has been good. I also believe that they may have simply slipped through the proverbial cracks , and somehow manipulated the process , maybe giving false first impressions just to obtain the position , then revealing their true selves when their tenure begins.
Well do you have a tongue in your head? Use it. Tell whomever at your company is using this agency that the two you sent out are subpar. That's why it is called temping. If the temp isn't working out you or someone at your job simply calls the agency.

And I doubt they lied, the agencies today just send out a warm body. If you're lucky you might get a professional who has been laid off and has to temp for the time being, you could also get someone who can't keep a job.

But if they're not working out, a phone call will take care of that.

You should know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment