Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:52 PM

435 posts, read 636,460 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing posts where people advise "move to Texas". Even though its been reported that Texas has a healthier economy that most other states, I don't see it here. I know many unemployed Texans. I would also say its VERY unwise to just move somewhere unless you already have a job there waiting for you!

People who live in major cities like Dallas and Houston are also tired of transients and drifters, showing up demanding jobs and help from the locals. Many transients eventually move back because they become disillusioned, not only with the bad weather and dreadfully hot summers, but they seemed to think moving to Texas was the golden ticket to a job. And its not. Like anywhere else, you have to work and work to get a job here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
I agree. I'm sick of people moving here without a job.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:38 PM

659 posts, read 941,974 times
I am getting the work experience in my new field first, saving up money and then moving to Austin, TX. My husband will attend their university, meanwhile I hope that I'll get a job there. I know that Austin is notorious for giving students at UT jobs and locals other than out-of-staters, but hubby is a Texas resident. I figured with my "connections" I'd get a job or two there

Old 09-09-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I am getting the work experience in my new field first, saving up money and then moving to Austin, TX. My husband will attend their university, meanwhile I hope that I'll get a job there. I know that Austin is notorious for giving students at UT jobs and locals other than out-of-staters, but hubby is a Texas resident. I figured with my "connections" I'd get a job or two there
If you're talking about part-time work, good luck. I could never find a part-time job in Austin while school was in session in the 1990s. Too much competition from other students. If you're off in the 'burbs, you might have better luck.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:08 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,136,696 times
In Dallas and Houston, I would say about half the people are not native-born Texans, especially the yuppies in Uptown/Addison/Las Colinas. They didn't come here drifting either. The job demand was there, so they were hired out of state.

While not quite a big move, I lived in Houston. I was hired for a $20k raise for Dallas within a month of looking from out of town. I had another interested employer, too.

In my own family, there have been about 5 people that moved here in the last 5 years and had jobs within a month or two.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post

I don't know about the job situation in Austin.
The summers in Austin are horrid. Be prepared for 100+ degree temps in the summer. Its like being an in oven.
Oh, and all the faux hippies there.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I would in Dallas and Houston about half the people are not native-born Texans. They didn't come here drifting either. The job demand was there, so they were hired out of state.
Lots of them are drifting. Many move here and then move back to where they came from, or move somewhere else. I've live here in all my life and its drifter central. It really is. Its so bad that many native Texans in big cities won't even talk to someone unless they've lived here at least 5 years or more. They just figure the person will be moving again soon, so why bother getting to know them.

Hawaii has the same problem, but for a different reason. Lots of people move there because its a beautiful resort area; they take advantage of the locals, and the locals are tired of them. Hawaii now has a huge homeless population, and the state of Hawaii will pay your moving fees if you want to move out of state(true). It saves the state taxpayers money in the long run if jobless people move out.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-09-2014 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 09-09-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
Lots of them are drifting. Many move here and then move back to where they came from, or move somewhere else. I've live here in all my life and its drifter central. It really is. Its so bad that many native Texans in big cities won't even talk to someone unless they've lived here at least 5 years or more. They just figure the person will be moving again soon, so why bother getting to know them.
I admit that I do that. Part of it's also down to a small degree of resentment, too. I think people flooding into DFW have ruined the character of the area (what little character it had) and made it a worse AND much more expensive place to live than it used to be.

(I was born and raised here.)

Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,136,696 times
[quote=palomalillie;36432480]
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I would in Dallas and Houston about half the people are not native-born Texans. They didn't come here drifting either. The job demand was there, so they were hired out of state.
quote]

Hawaii has the same problem, but for a different reason. Lots of people move there because its a beautiful resort area; they take advantage of the locals, and the locals are tired of them. Hawaii now has a huge homeless population, and the state of Hawaii will pay your moving fees if you want to move out of state(true). It saves the state taxpayers money in the long run if jobless people move out.
These aren't homeless employed drifters looking for jobs, but yuppies that landed jobs before moving. They are buying houses and jacking up the home values. Houses are going for $400k-2 million, when they were $100-200k cheaper 10 years ago. They are paying for $1000+ 1-bedroom apartments in Uptown, Addison, Plano, and Las Colinas.

If they had no jobs, they wouldn't get passed the 40+ page mortgage applications to get financed.

My hiring manager, vice-president moved here, 5 years ago, after getting the job from out of state. They bought a house in the area, after a few months. I have met several people with similar relocation stories.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:40 PM

266 posts, read 286,260 times
The big problem with moving to Texas to look for work is that when you're done, you're living in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment