Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:12 AM

130 posts, read 123,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You see now we are talking discrimination. If an employer lets your daughter work at that young age then they would be required to let other kids of the same age work as well. The law does not care how advanced your daughter is or how she is more behaved then another. A standard is set that all companies need to follow. I just do not understand the rush to get your daughter into the working world.

Something that she could do is start her own business. You can be any age and do that. Plenty of kids have done exactly that and made a lot of money in the process. One girl started a company when she was 14 to save money to buy a car. Last I heard the company was worth a quarter billion and the girl isn't even 18 yet. I just don't know if I would be pushing my kids to get a job. I would be encouraging them to build something of their own though.

The law should care how advanced my daughter is. The standard sounds like a way to financially control the population.

You could easily not have discrimination by saying that you cannot work until you can do a certain task without assistance.

What company did that girl create?

Most parents buy cars for their kids when they are of driving age, so we doubt she'd want to buy her own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
A co-workers 22 year old niece bought her own home here in Sunny Southern California 4 or 5 years ago. She had been saving money since she was 12 years old. She comleted her degree when she was 22, got her first career based job, took the money she had saved and put 20% down on a 3 bedroom 2 bath townhouse that set her back $280,000. She had saved in a 10 year period almost $60,000.

We don't believe in credit though so that wouldn't work.

We teach our kids to be responsible spenders and only buy something when they have full cash.

Owing people favors or money is the quickest path to lack of independence.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
"crap" could be defined as lots of stuff but some of the "crap" you should not want your kid buying with her money and with no oversight from the parent could include, designer shoes, designer clothes, drugs (yes I said that and you shouldn't think that is impossible), alcohol (many kids do this).

I'm done with the "what ifs" in this thread. Visit the employer to get real answers to your questions. It is what you should have done in the first place as the parent of a 13 yr. old that has been offered a job.

Is there something wrong with designer shoes and designer clothes?

She doesn't really associate with people who would do drugs so that isn't a concern.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I still do not see the need to have your kid work. What is the purpose of having your kid work?

She wants to work and the purpose of a parent is to give the child the best opportunities it can to make their lives as enjoyable as possible.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Yup, lots of people on set. Child actors have people that watch over them and ensure that they do not work over the hours that they are allowed to work. Most child actors have a parent involved as well. Plenty parents we know are always taking their kids in for filming as these are kids that are only doing commercials or bit parts. On top of that the money is kept in an account for the kids so it is there when they are older. A portion does go to the family but due to a lot of families ripping off their kids SAG put an end to that.

There are plenty of regular shows that involve kids.

It would be impossible that they aren't working 40 or more hours a week.

Who is SAG?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Sure, go ahead and talk to the employer about that. I'm sure the employer would enjoy buying stuff for the kid and having a kid volunteer.

So that would be legal?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:24 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planning View Post
The law should care how advanced my daughter is. The standard sounds like a way to financially control the population.

You could easily not have discrimination by saying that you cannot work until you can do a certain task without assistance.

What company did that girl create?

Most parents buy cars for their kids when they are of driving age, so we doubt she'd want to buy her own?
Quote:
We don't believe in credit though so that wouldn't work.

We teach our kids to be responsible spenders and only buy something when they have full cash.

Owing people favors or money is the quickest path to lack of independence.
Quote:
Is there something wrong with designer shoes and designer clothes?

She doesn't really associate with people who would do drugs so that isn't a concern.

Your daughter is no more advanced than anyone else's child who is advanced, in mensa, in honors classes etc.

So you state in one post that you teach your children to be responsible spenders yet in the other post you state that she will no doubt expect you to purchase a vehicle for her "because other parents do it"?
How exactly is that being a responsible spender?

There is nothing wrong with designer anything if you choose to pay the ridiculously high prices for something that is no better quality than other like items that are lower priced.

It appears you may have the "stereotype druggie mentality" going on here.
You do realize there are numerous drug users who are not homeless and living on the streets and selling their bodies for drugs right?
They are Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses, Bankers, Wall Street Workers, the Police Officer that lives down the street, the Fireman next door, your 70 year old neighbor, the cashier at the market, the city bus driver on your route, even a few of the teachers at your child's school and I would even bet that a few of her classmates are already doing drugs.
You know those "advanced" kids in the honors class who go out after school and smoke pot and snort whatever it is they are snorting right before they go to the Library to study.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
There are plenty of regular shows that involve kids.

It would be impossible that they aren't working 40 or more hours a week.

Who is SAG?

SAG is not a "who" it is a "what" and most everyone over the age of 13 knows what that is.
Google is your friend.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
SAG is not a "who" it is a "what" and most everyone over the age of 13 knows what that is.
Google is your friend.

Maybe everyone over 13 who wants to be an actor would know that.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:40 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
People who Google to get answers to things they do not know would also know that.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 10-02-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment