Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,362 times

Advertisements

Some companies post job openings to meet quotas for the government.

You also have to remember it is an employer's market. There is a lot of candidates seeking jobs. So an employer will become picky or look for loopholes to save $$. Lowball the position salary wise, interns, part-time employees, etc.

In the past, it was the opposite, it was an employee's market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:47 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
H1 B visa discussion.

Again.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
I understand how hiring works. I don't feel that I am ever guaranteed or owed an interview or a job. I know that any company I would want to work for would not just be hiring to get a warm body in place but rather looking for a good fit and a high-quality hire.

And yet sometimes it is frustrating as hell.

I am thinking of one particular job that I applied for about 2.5 months ago. The position is very, very similar to what I do now, just working directly for a vendor instead of as a middleman (oversimplified explanation.) I already do all of the listed job duties on a daily basis in my current position. The posting indicates that related experience is "preferred," and I have been doing this for 2 years with quantifiable success and accomplishments. I have gotten great feedback from other hiring managers on my resume and customized cover letters. Nothing salacious comes up when you google me. Etc, etc, etc.

And yet...not a peep for over 11 weeks. Then yesterday they re-posted the position. It's baffling. They have had two salaried "professional" type jobs and a few lower-level hourly positions (cleaning, reception) posted this entire time. I cannot believe that in nearly 3 months, not one qualified person has applied to vacuum the darn place. I know I should just put it out of my mind and move on--don't worry, I have been applying elsewhere since then and getting some very promising leads--but I am just so flummoxed by the situation that I can't help puzzling over it. I don't expect they would have to offer me the job, but it's difficult to imagine why I don't at least merit an interview when I am exactly what they say they are looking for. Oh well...sometimes life is a mystery.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:29 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
many times if you simply respond to a web posting for a job, it goes into a big black hole. some companies literally receive 10,000 resumes/day so there is really no way to actually go through all of them. they have software filters that automatically read through them looking for keywords and such but even then, many simply get lost. i would even say that most resumes that are submitted via the corporate website or 3rd party site are never even looked at.

that's why the best way to send in a resume is to do it via referral, hiring manager, head hunter, etc. at least this way you can be assured that someone will read your resume.

RVD.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:40 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,918 times
My last job they fired a worker and kept telling us they would hire someone new to do her work. As months kept passing on, we kept getting told this yet being given their work when it was finally becoming really obvious they were never going to hire her position and make us do it on top of our other positions. It was dirty and underhanded and they posted her job making it appear as if it were open but it never was. I really hate employers and supervisors like my last one who basically lie to others that they have a job open and pass the work to the others with no appreciation. Its a big reason I left that job

Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is no reason to waste time and money advertising a job that doesn't exist.
Sometimes the law or company policy requires it.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:01 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
The best way to get an interview is to either know someone or email HR directly.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Look it from the company point of view.

#1--They have minimum requirements for the job. Meeting 75% of those requirements, does not even deserve consideration for the job. You will be rejected by the computer. And there is always another problem, those 25% you do not meet, may be the most important ones that are needed to be met.

#2--As mentioned above, there are usually lots of applicants for the job. Lets imagine 100. Of that 100, 5 of them are a perfect match. Those 5 are interviewed, and one stands out above all others. That person accepts the job. There were 95 applicants that were not perfect matches, and were rejected. The best of the 5 perfect matches gets the job.

As long as there are a lot of people applying for the job, and a small percentage of those applying will meet all the requirements, any intelligent HM is going to only be interested in considering the perfect matches, and has no interest in hiring the rest of the applicants. As far as he/she is concerned, even having to deal with the other applications is just wasting his/her valuable time.

We keep seeing complaints that HR is the problem, and HR is what is keeping them from being interviewed by the HM, who they feel they can convince they will be the best person even if they only have a few of the requirements for the job.

The HM does not have the time from their other duties, to interview any but the perfect matches. It is the HR department's job, to protect the HM and save them time rejecting the non matches for the job.

Applicants today make as many as 100 applications in a day over the Internet. If instead of sending a resume for every job out there regardless if they fit the needs of the company or not, they should concentrate on finding a position they are a perfect match for. Concentrate their effort, seeking out the job they perfectly match up for. Do that and you will be one of those in the final cut.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:53 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Default The positions you are applying for are already filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
So I'm seeing an alarming trend that I hope you guys can explain. There's a couple of jobs I've applied for in IT and not even gotten a call about that I'd say I was mostly (3/4) a fit for. I'm beginning to learn that if you aren't a perfect fit it doesn't seem you even get to be in the running which is really kind of shocking to me. I see these same jobs continuing to be posted on the job boards by multiple recruiters for two months now!

So are employers really so picky these days that they won't even call someone for a phone interview who fits most of their requirements and just leave a job open? So their work just doesn't get done?

I'm reading about the Purple Squirrel and becoming more depressed Urban Dictionary: Purple Squirrel

IT jobs are occupied mostly by immigrants who are on H1 visa. As a first step in sponsoring green card, the employer has to advertise the job for few months on job boards, newspapers & interview US citizens. Only when they cant find a good fit for the job, they should proceed with the immigrant's green card application. A lot of the "employers" are (Indian) consultant companies who sponsor the H1 visas & send their candidates on contracting jobs to IT companies. There are a lot of fraudulent practices in IT industry. They must be advertising the job as required but not calling you for interviews so that they can proceed with their candidate's green card. Until the green card gets approved (10-15yrs for Indians), the candidate has to give 10-30% of their paycheck to the consultant. So by hiring a US citizen who doesn't need the green card, the consultant will lose their income. They add fake work experiences, provide incorrect references, background checks - anything that can get keep their candidates in status. And they get away with it. So not calling someone for an interview is nothing compared to their fraudulent practices. Do some research on the companies that are advertising these jobs & if they turn out to be (Indian) consultants, dont apply there. Only apply for direct hire positions. There are few staffing companies who are legitimate though but there is no way to know about it until they call you back.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:18 PM

310 posts, read 686,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
I see these same jobs continuing to be posted on the job boards by multiple recruiters for two months now!

So are employers really so picky these days that they won't even call someone for a phone interview who fits most of their requirements and just leave a job open? So their work just doesn't get done?
In my current organization we fail searches all the time. It's a lot more expensive to hire someone who isn't a good fit than to not fill the role. If you don't fill it then those who are already there have to work harder/longer, and that does cost some money, but it costs a lot more money to hire, train, and then having to separate a poor fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
IT jobs are occupied mostly by immigrants who are on H1 visa.
You need to stop watching Fox News or wherever else you get this BS from, if for no other reason than that reality disagrees with your world view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment