Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 08:33 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,698,018 times

Advertisements

I'm curious.

When receiving bad news from a company regarding hiring decisions, would you rather get information via snail mail, phone, e-mail, or not get anything at all?

Here's my thought process:

For the initial application process, I'd prefer to get nothing. If I don't hear anything from the hiring company within 3-4 weeks, I'm pretty sure I didn't get the job. When you are doing 10-20 applications a week, it's kind of weird getting an email from a company you don't remember applying to saying that they've chosen another candidate.

Anything else I'd prefer an email. Letters rejecting you are a waste of paper and it's a physical reminder of failure. Emails are just two clicks and the reminder of failure is gone.

I've gotten a couple of phone calls saying they've gone in a different direction but that's usually with a headhunter. I think I've only gotten one phone call from an actual HR department telling me no and that was an awkward conversation.

Conversely, I've had a friend who got to a final round of interviews, HR was telling him everything was going great, and then he heard *nothing* until he called HR 3 weeks later. That was just stupid and dumb on HR's part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:21 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,888,359 times
I agree with you that email would be preferable. Snail mail takes a few days to be delivered and just seems...oddly formal and out of place, assuming that you have not been corresponding by mail previously. Calls disrupt whatever you were engaged in and have a way of awkwardly putting people on the spot. No response is just rude/cruel; if you have invested your time interviewing with a company they should at least have the courtesy to let you know they have gone another direction. (Not saying it always happens that way, though)

Old 09-22-2014, 09:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,491,960 times
We send a letter to people that are rejected without being interviewed, but call those interviewed and not selected. For me it just seems more personal and respectful to notify them in person. Before taking this job in 2009 I was not selected for two others and in both cases they called, and I was fine with the phone notification. Making that call does seem like it would be a miserable task, luckily for me HR takes care of it, not the hiring manager.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times
I would prefer email. Quick, to the point, and impersonal.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:01 AM

310 posts, read 687,045 times
Email is fine, I'd rather be notified as soon as they know that they won't hire me, that way there's no ambiguity.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 AM

282 posts, read 445,099 times
I sent an email to a candidate to thank him for applying and interviewing, but that we'd chosen another candidate. Two weeks later he sent me an angry email chastising me for notifying him by email rather than a phone call or formal letter.

After getting this, I asked several people in the field if using email had been a breach of professional courtesy. All seemed to feel the same as most here--email is the best way to handle.

BTW, I also found out that he'd been fired from his then-current job the day he sent that email. I guess he felt the need to redirect what had to have been a lot of anger, as he'd been with that employer for nearly 10 years.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:49 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,684,136 times
I doubt I have ever gotten snail mail for a hiring decision especially if the entire application process happened online. I would probably prefer to get an email rather than a phone call. You may get unnecessarily excited if you see the HR number and assume it's an offer. The email title should hint at the contents.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:23 PM

9,888 posts, read 14,171,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Making that call does seem like it would be a miserable task, luckily for me HR takes care of it, not the hiring manager.
If someone makes it to the final round of imterviews (we only normally do two interviews), I will, as Hiring Manager, personally call the people who do not get the job.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,105,242 times
When it comes to job rejections I rather make my own conclusion and not receive anything at all because I don't want junk email in my primary folder or junk mail in my mailbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment