Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times

Advertisements

I have renewed a job search a couple months ago and after applying for some great jobs that I knew I was qualified for, I unfortunately never received a call. I was discussing with a fellow co-worker who also is looking for a new job, and because we work at a health organization that has a political polarizing/moral stigma associated with its well known name, she told me to just use the initials of the organization on my resume and LinkedIn. The organization in question uses initials for brevity as our full title is a mouthful. I am not trying to hide the fact of where I work, or my job responsibilities, I just want to get my resume into the 'consideration' pile instead of the 'ignore' pile. If and when I go on an interview, be it phone or in person, and if asked, I will mention the name of the company as well as explain in a very professional way why I'm looking for a new job.

My suspicion is that because I have had the name of my employer with its full name on the resume, I think some employers and HR reps may have a personal/political bias and not move forward with my resume. I also have been in communication with a recruiter and I explained to him what my fellow co-worker suggested, and he immediately thought it was a "great idea", he also felt it would make my resume more 'politically clean, neutral and attractive'. His quick acceptance of this change indicated to me that this is something I should have been doing all the long, but the idealist in me never thought about this.

Anyway, I only took this current job because I was still in grad school, it was a job that matched my skills, and the benefits were great. I am not challenged in this role and I am in conflict with some business decisions the organization has made recently. I will never speak ill of where I work, but the time is now for me to move on, and the best way to do that is to 'de-sensitize' my resume by using the initials of my employer instead of the full title.

Has anyone else had a situation like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
I would be surprised to learn that a hiring manager would disqualify a candidate based on what you describe. And I would add that people in the field will know what company you work for even if you list the initials right?

Be patient and consider this a transient learning experience, learn all you can. Also, be happy that you were hired and can get some experience on your resume - this "political polarizing/moral stigma associated" organization gave you your in, so it served its purpose. That's a good thing.

Best of luck.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:58 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Hiring managers are generally smart enough to know that the policy of a company doesn't engrain itself into the policy of an employee. There are TONS of cases where an employee left a company because they were uncomfortable with its policies.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:00 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times
Not sure if it would make much difference if you use initials. They might ask you the full name during the interview & it might also come up during your background check. Just be honest & dont appear to be ashamed or hiding something as it will definitely reflect very badly on you. The impression of the company should not reflect on your skills. If the people hiring you are too biased about where you worked, thats being close minded. Ideally they should just look at your work experience. If I was in this situation, I would use the full name of the company. They should understand that certain decisions made by the company are beyond an employee's control. You are there to do your job & thats it. If they probe me further about any scandals or bad publicity, I would say 'I just focused on doing my job & I wish them all the best in future'. Talk about your work, skillset, education, work ethics that you developed when working there.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:01 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,494 times
No, but I wouldn't doubt it that some HR "professionals" move your resume to the bottom of the stack or don't forward them along because of the job.

Use the initials (or something like J.K. Research Co.), and keep applying.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Well eventually you become a quant...o I thought you meant six sigma!

Bias in the private sector politically I don't think has much of a sway. On non profits I'd say it does. If you work in the private sector it is for the salary. Government is more for the benefits and can be argued as public service. Non profits imply you believe in the mission state and what it actually does. There's a implicit passion within it.

I've seen a few linkedin profiles of people that worked in several non profits to the point where it indiciates a political mindset. Adding to this both are unemployed and are in areas that run counter to this. One is into secular humanism and has a photo of himself with richard dawkins. He lives in Atlanta. The other has sea shepards society and naders pirg groups and he lives in michigan (not detroit).

Almost anything can be politicized but frankly in the private sector I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:40 AM

Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far. I failed to mentioned that I do work for a non-profit.

As I originally stated, I am aware and prepared to mention the full name of the organization when the interview comes, no problem with that, anything less would be disingenuous. And yes, employers can search for the initials and know immediately where I work. I'm not hiding the org, I'm just trying to downplay it's political message from the offset which will come first and foremost in MOST people's minds, whether they admit it or not. If I were to be bold enough to share the name here, all of you would understand my concerns immediately.

I have learned a lot here, but they are in financial dire straits and making business decisions for more money that I don't agree with.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:40 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far. I failed to mentioned that I do work for a non-profit.

As I originally stated, I am aware and prepared to mention the full name of the organization when the interview comes, no problem with that, anything less would be disingenuous. And yes, employers can search for the initials and know immediately where I work. I'm not hiding the org, I'm just trying to downplay it's political message from the offset which will come first and foremost in MOST people's minds, whether they admit it or not. If I were to be bold enough to share the name here, all of you would understand my concerns immediately.

I have learned a lot here, but they are in financial dire straits and making business decisions for more money that I don't agree with.
I know what organization you speak of.

Here's my suggestion:

1) Go with the full name of the company. Wanna know why? Do you really want to work for a company that disapproves of what your previous company did?

2) How many applications have you sent out? You said a couple of months, but didn't indicate the number. Unfortunately, you need to put a LOT out there before you get any bites. Some job listings are just formalities because they already have internal candidates are there.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:56 PM

@SweepTheLeg, I appreciate your being very perceptive, and as for your suggestions -

1. Yes, the thought did come to me about would I want to work at a company that disapprove of what my current company does. No I would not. But I would rather know for sure that if I had an actual conversation with someone from the company, and then discussing what I currently do and where I work. If the tone then changes, and no interview is set up. I would know for sure.

2. I received my Master's degree in Communication in December. I started to fill out applications in early February. Then I took a break in May to accommodate summer travel and moving to another apartment. I probably applied for 30 positions in total during that time, and had one interview. I started to suspect something in the Spring. Then I resumed the job search in August - I have applied for about 15 positions in this time, and had job interview a few weeks ago.

Because I'm looking for work that is the polar opposite of what I do at my current job, and I'm trying to attract employment based on my personal portfolio of social media experience, and marketing, I just want to make my resume stand out without any immediate static that could raise a red flag and cause my resume to not be given serious consideration. I know most of us who have posted in this thread are fair minded people, but I have come to suspect that as I apply for jobs well beyond the region I work, some people are just not as open minded. I just want as fair a shot as possible. And yes, I appreciate the reminder that a lot of jobs are just being posted with internal candidates already in mind.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:03 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
@SweepTheLeg, I appreciate your being very perceptive, and as for your suggestions -

1. Yes, the thought did come to me about would I want to work at a company that disapprove of what my current company does. No I would not. But I would rather know for sure that if I had an actual conversation with someone from the company, and then discussing what I currently do and where I work. If the tone then changes, and no interview is set up. I would know for sure.

2. I received my Master's degree in Communication in December. I started to fill out applications in early February. Then I took a break in May to accommodate summer travel and moving to another apartment. I probably applied for 30 positions in total during that time, and had one interview. I started to suspect something in the Spring. Then I resumed the job search in August - I have applied for about 15 positions in this time, and had job interview a few weeks ago.

Because I'm looking for work that is the polar opposite of what I do at my current job, and I'm trying to attract employment based on my personal portfolio of social media experience, and marketing, I just want to make my resume stand out without any immediate static that could raise a red flag and cause my resume to not be given serious consideration. I know most of us who have posted in this thread are fair minded people, but I have come to suspect that as I apply for jobs well beyond the region I work, so people are just not as open minded. I just want as fair a shot as possible. And yes, I appreciate the reminder that a lot of jobs are just being posted with internal candidates already in mind.
If you are entry-level (and even with the MBA in Communication, it's entry level, sorry), an interview in 15 applications is not a bad rate.

Other things I would recommend is a full review of your resume, submitting your resume as a PDF and not a word doc, and working with your Alma Mater's employment office to see what bites you can get there.

Also used Indeed and use several different searches.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment