Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:26 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,039,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It was unwise to take a temp job over FTE. I don't care what company A tells you the stats are only 27% of Temp to hire jobs turn perm. Company A may very well be jerking you arround and enjoy having you without having to pay benefits or declare you headcount and just jerk you arround as long as you let them. You should continue looking for a real job with full effort while you are a temp and leave the second you get one and tell company A if you aren't important enough to give benefits and directly hire then you leaving should be no big deal.
Agreed. I wouldn't even listen to the nonsense from the person offering the temp position. The full time position would have been priority and I never would have looked back.

To ME, it was a VERY stupid move to accept a TEMP POSITION over a FULL TIME one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 09:29 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,039,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The boss is questioning your loyalty and your ethics; don't be surprised when he doesn't offer you a FT position.
If the OP didn't get anything in WRITING that they would DEFINITELY be hired after a certain time, then more than likely it was never going to happen anyway.

I just can't believe the OP took a TEMP job over a FULL TIME one based on a "promise" and nothing else.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:15 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times
I'm a little surprised that people are chastising the op for taking a local temp job she thought had promise and paid more, over having to move to another state where she has no support system, and work in NYC for a salary of $44K, which means living in NJ and commuting.

I think a lot of people would rather spare the upset in their lives and hope that the temp job comes through as a full time position. She could have also just maintained that job while continuing to look.

I don't think that was a bad choice at all, particularly since "permanent" jobs are becoming less and less permanent.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:58 AM

10 posts, read 11,492 times
Thanks for all your replies everyone. I'm sitting here in the office and am feeling mighty uncomfortable...the guy next to my cubicle who's responsible for training me had an email conversation with the guy whose brother works at company B titled Cassandra Doe. Now I feel even more uncomfortable that this guy who pretends to be my friend has been keeping this to himself for a whole week.

Should I confront him and ask what that email convo was about? I just feel like I need to get things off my chest.

Thanks all.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra998 View Post
Thanks for all your replies everyone. I'm sitting here in the office and am feeling mighty uncomfortable...the guy next to my cubicle who's responsible for training me had an email conversation with the guy whose brother works at company B titled Cassandra Doe. Now I feel even more uncomfortable that this guy who pretends to be my friend has been keeping this to himself for a whole week.

Should I confront him and ask what that email convo was about? I just feel like I need to get things off my chest.

Thanks all.
How do you know this??

Old 09-23-2014, 11:05 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm a little surprised that people are chastising the op for taking a local temp job she thought had promise and paid more, over having to move to another state where she has no support system, and work in NYC for a salary of $44K, which means living in NJ and commuting.

I think a lot of people would rather spare the upset in their lives and hope that the temp job comes through as a full time position. She could have also just maintained that job while continuing to look.

I don't think that was a bad choice at all, particularly since "permanent" jobs are becoming less and less permanent.

Based on the pay and the area, I would have done the same thing before I packed up my family and moved 1,000 miles. I would much rather give the tempt job a shot to work out.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:06 AM

10 posts, read 11,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
How do you know this??
He was showing me something and had his email inbox open on his monitor

Old 09-23-2014, 11:20 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,907,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
How do you know this??
I, too, am curious about this.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:20 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,442,433 times
Quote:

Thanks all.
You have nothing to get off your chest. You lied, and you got busted. You should feel uncomfortable. You are lucky to even be sitting in that office. Keep your head down, and do what you were hired to do. Nobody there is your friend, in fact, the guy who is training you probably figures it's a waste of his time.

Last edited by convextech; 09-23-2014 at 11:32 AM..

Old 09-23-2014, 11:29 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,435,865 times
Quote:
I began working as a temporary worker a month ago at startup company #A. However, before this, I had a full-time offer with benefits from another startup company #B (in another state). When I interviewed with #A I was originally interviewing for a full-time position, that paid 47,000/yr. However, I was told that the company decided not to hire at the moment. In the meantime, I had an offer from #B for 44,000/yr plus out-of-state in expensive NYC, which I desperately accepted. A few days before I planned on packing my things, the hiring manager from #A called me saying he'd like me to come work as a temp, until he gets permission from the CEO to bring me on full-time. The pay was for 45,000/yr which I accepted without any hesitation.

I accepted the offer from #B and was too scared to tell them I was going to reject them so I gave them an excuse saying I had to go on an unexpected family vacation and won't be available for a few weeks and let them know to keep searching for someone else in the meantime - I hoped they'd forget about me since they receive a lot of applicants. During this time, I started with #B.

A person who works at #B has a brother who works at #A and I guess they somehow found out that I was the same person who accepted an offer at #A. This person told the boss and he had me come in for a chat. I told him that as a result of not receiving an initial offer, I went ahead and accepted the offer from #B, but because he had contacted me a few days later with the temp offer, I changed my mind and went with #A's offer. He even mentioned how I lied about going on vacation. He then questioned my loyalty and asked if I'd leave in a week or something to that effect. I told him that I knowingly burned a bridge and turned down a full-time offer to join him as a temp so he has nothing to worry about.

Now I'm in this weird situation where the boss thinks I'm an unethical lying sob. Does anyone know what I should do from here on out?

Thank you!
lol you worded it pretty well on your own. You lied to an employer that respected you enough to offer you a full time job. People in the business world talk, loudly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment