Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 04:19 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,281,383 times

Advertisements

The guy I'm doing contract work for just emailed me asking for my SSN and birth date for accounting data, saying it needs it to pay me. Is that true? I thought I handled all that with a 1099 form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 04:25 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,763,824 times
He has to have an Employer ID number or SS number to issue the 1099, which means he has to have it to even pay you. Assuming you would not have an EIN (registered company with the IRS and State) than he would need your SS.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:02 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,281,383 times
Okay, thank you, this is the first contract job I've had, and I've heard a lot of stories about some employers giving SSN's out to illegals to use. Seems to be a rather wide-spread practice in some parts.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:17 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,763,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Okay, thank you, this is the first contract job I've had, and I've heard a lot of stories about some employers giving SSN's out to illegals to use. Seems to be a rather wide-spread practice in some parts.
I have never heard of that one, but I could see it being common in certain jobs in certain areas. the option you do have is to file a Florida DBA which is a fictitious name, and in most states is only $10-20. Then file for an Employer ID number at this link How to Apply for an EIN. You will just have to file an update yearly but your tax return will be the same as it will working solely under your name.

Also another benefit is if you do end up starting your own cleaning service in the future, you will not have to give your SS# out to anybody for business purposes, you can always use your EIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment