Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,076,241 times

Advertisements

Most part time jobs in school are given to those with financial need. I have had enough of working in fast food, retail, restaurants, etc
.It is just very fast paced, stressful, and customers and managers are always barking at you. I am studying Accounting but have realized that idon't want to work behind a desk sitting in a computer all day. I am interested in becoming an electrician
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Do you know the students jobs at you school are given to those with financial need, or are you guessing that? My college employed a lot of student workers and they hired students who wanted to work -- financial need wasn't part of the screening process. What do you want to do because the jobs you mentioned are typical college student jobs.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Most part time jobs in school are given to those with financial need. I have had enough of working in fast food, retail, restaurants, etc
.It is just very fast paced, stressful, and customers and managers are always barking at you. I am studying Accounting but have realized that idon't want to work behind a desk sitting in a computer all day. I am interested in becoming an electrician
Why are you in college taking accounting if you want to be an electrician? You should be in trade school, where they can often help you find part-time work as an apprentice in the trade.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you know the students jobs at you school are given to those with financial need, or are you guessing that? My college employed a lot of student workers and they hired students who wanted to work -- financial need wasn't part of the screening process. What do you want to do because the jobs you mentioned are typical college student jobs.
I agree. Dont think financial need qualifies anyone for a job.

Find something related to your field as it will improve your resume for job hunt after you graduate. Apply for part-time internships in companies that hire professionals from your field. They would probably hire you full time after you graduate or atleast give you good references. Its a good opportunity for the company too as they are investing in their future employee. Or work under an electrician as their assistant to get some hands on experience.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Quote:
That's not what accountants do unless youre a corporate accountant. You need to talk to some people in the field like me before making generalizations and just deciding upon a career path that is WORLDS different than the one you chose.

Within the broad spectrum of Accounting you can be:
An external auditor which allows you to travel a lot, meet corporate executives, and experience different industries
A bank auditor, same as above but different industry
An asset accountant where you spend a good deal of time in the field performing counts and accuracy
A corporate accountant, your stereotypical 'sit in front of the computer all day'
A tax accountant, where you go out and meet clients, gather data, assess tax models, design models unique to their business
A consultant...

The list goes on and on. Plus accountants are highly respected for their knowledge in the business world and company leaders will be looking to you for guidance and decisions. Don't write off accounting as boring without actually knowing what we do. Something drew you to accounting in the first place because NOONE takes those classes in college just because.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM

659 posts, read 940,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
That's not what accountants do unless youre a corporate accountant. You need to talk to some people in the field like me before making generalizations and just deciding upon a career path that is WORLDS different than the one you chose.

Within the broad spectrum of Accounting you can be:
An external auditor which allows you to travel a lot, meet corporate executives, and experience different industries
A bank auditor, same as above but different industry
An asset accountant where you spend a good deal of time in the field performing counts and accuracy
A corporate accountant, your stereotypical 'sit in front of the computer all day'
A tax accountant, where you go out and meet clients, gather data, assess tax models, design models unique to their business
A consultant...

The list goes on and on. Plus accountants are highly respected for their knowledge in the business world and company leaders will be looking to you for guidance and decisions. Don't write off accounting as boring without actually knowing what we do. Something drew you to accounting in the first place because NOONE takes those classes in college just because.
THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT!

I am getting increasingly frustrated with people assuming that Accounting is just sitting behind a desk or that it's all about numbers and "you have to REALLY love numbers". My professor (who studied Marketing and is now an Entrepreneur with 3 diff. businesses) said that to me. I told him that I was artistic and good at Marketing but I've seen that the Marketing field is a bit shaky, so I went with Accounting for the stable-ness and because you can do anything with it, as opposed to doing anything with a Business Admin degree.

He kept insisting that I should be in Marketing or should have taken Entrepreneurship classes. I had to respectfully disagree with him and insisted that although Accounting wasn't originally what I wanted to do in the end, I still love it and would not mind working a few years in the field to save up money for future business endeavors. But he didn't get it.

No offense, but I know what I'm doing. I have a goal set in place, I just had to roll my eyes at his ignorance of what Accounting is. It's NOT only numbers, it's NOT only Math, you DON'T have to be really good at Math for Accounting... it's not like the Engineering field where you have to REALLY KNOW Math! Sheesh!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Go to the Career Placement office of your college.. Most, if not all, have them.. Most people assume they're for alumni only.. But alot of the people there have good contacts with companies that want someone who maybe only works part time, and are willing to take a college student on the hope that when they graduate, they might go full time.

That's what happened to me.. I was studying Industrial Electronics.. Got a job with a POS company part time while in school.. Went full time with them after graduating.. Left, went to a medical company, left there, went to a network cabling company, left there and worked for the competitor to this forum software (this is vB, I worked for IPS).. Left there and went back to a POS company. But that first job was the foot in the door.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
Quote:
For jobs: Go to your student job placement center, probably located in the same building as your student union or bookstore or main academic building. If it is like most, they will have jobs for "regular" students and for those who qualify for "work study." See a student job counselor if you have questions about that, because different schools handle student employment differently. There are jobs available from working in the college bookstore to washing cages in the animal labs. It's not all food service, usually.

About becoming an electrician: do you have that program at your school? I seem to recall from another thread that you are at a community college. Go talk with an advisor for that program. There will probably be something a "building trades division" -- go to that main office and ask if you can talk to an advisor about what that program entails or look up the details on the school website. If you aren't at a community college, find the nearest one that has that program, phone them, and make an appointment to speak with an advisor.

Even better: do you have any relatives who are electricians that you can shadow? If would be good if you could spend a day with one before you decide that you "don't like office work." I agree that becoming an electrician could pay off for you, but it might not. You need to do some research, first.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:06 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,904 times
I worked at Sherwin Williams Paint Store during my 5 years of my college career. They worked around my school schedule and it was a fun job for the most part. Retail sales, as long as they aren't commission based, are good idea too.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:47 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times
I have friends who managed to find quiet "sit at the desk until a customer approaches" type jobs while in college. These jobs gave them some downtime they could use to study.

One friend worked the front desk at a hotel for the overnight shift. Another worked the towel-desk at an upscale fitness/health club. And I knew a guy who worked in the payment booth at a parking garage who had some time to study during off-peak times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment