Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:13 PM

285 posts, read 534,090 times

Advertisements

Job application requires 3 professional references from 3 separate jobs. I've worked at exactly 3 companies, the third being several years ago. The problem: I'm unwilling to ask my supervisor from that particular job for a reference due to personal reasons (nothing to do with my own performance, there was a huge scandal at the company, not involving me, but the supervisor was basically a huge jerk... it's a long story). The supervisor still works at the company today. He was the only person I reported to. In lieu of a reference from him, should I a) use a former coworker as a reference, or b) get a letter from HR at their corporate headquarters stating that I worked there and what my duties were? Or both? How would you handle this? I don't want to take that position off my resume entirely because it was a fairly well known company (looks good that I worked there), and I was there for a while and worked very hard for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Ask a non-supervisory co-worker as a reference. There is nothing wrong with this at all, unless they specifically ask for supervisors.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post
Job application requires 3 professional references from 3 separate jobs. I've worked at exactly 3 companies, the third being several years ago. The problem: I'm unwilling to ask my supervisor from that particular job for a reference due to personal reasons (nothing to do with my own performance, there was a huge scandal at the company, not involving me, but the supervisor was basically a huge jerk... it's a long story). The supervisor still works at the company today. He was the only person I reported to. In lieu of a reference from him, should I a) use a former coworker as a reference, or b) get a letter from HR at their corporate headquarters stating that I worked there and what my duties were? Or both? How would you handle this? I don't want to take that position off my resume entirely because it was a fairly well known company (looks good that I worked there), and I was there for a while and worked very hard for them.
Don't get a letter from any HR, they don't know you personally. That's what a professional reference is. Ask a colleague instead.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:46 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,207 times
I agree with the others. Ask an old co-worker. I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm looking for jobs, and although they don't need an actual letter of recommendation, I use old co-workers, as since I keep jobs for a while - I want to have more current ones than a recommendation from a supervisor from 10 years ago. Who knows if they still even work there?

Old 10-01-2014, 05:31 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I agree with the others. Ask an old co-worker. I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm looking for jobs, and although they don't need an actual letter of recommendation, I use old co-workers, as since I keep jobs for a while - I want to have more current ones than a recommendation from a supervisor from 10 years ago. Who knows if they still even work there?
Oh, and don't forget to ask your reference first. I have had the same reference for many years, because I've worked with them on so many projects as a contractor. Every now and then I rotate in a new person from a recent company to keep it fresh. But I always ask my old references just in case, that way they can update me on their title and address. Although LinkedIn keeps me up to date, it never hurts, especially in the case of a coworker retiring.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:11 PM

435 posts, read 635,213 times
I think its anal retentive if they insist on a supervisor reference.

I applied at one job where they insisted the person giving me the reference had to be a supervisor. So I gave them the name and phone number of one of the sales managers I worked for. She told me that wouldn't work, that his title had to be "supervisor" or else it wasn't a good reference. Well, I told her that nobody that worked there had the title of "supervisor".

Old 10-01-2014, 06:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Supervisors come and go, and may be unable to talk under policy .

In addition to co-workers, professional references can include customers, vendors or contractors that are familiar with your work. Just be sure to ask anyone before you give their name and number, if there is any hesitation
back down quick rather than risk a mediocre/bad reference or putting them
into an awkward situation.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:51 PM

285 posts, read 534,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
I think its anal retentive if they insist on a supervisor reference.

I applied at one job where they insisted the person giving me the reference had to be a supervisor. So I gave them the name and phone number of one of the sales managers I worked for. She told me that wouldn't work, that his title had to be "supervisor" or else it wasn't a good reference. Well, I told her that nobody that worked there had the title of "supervisor".
Right? A couple of the places (I looked at their applications online) are very specific and want supervisors. The others don't specify. It's silly because I know people whose bosses have passed away since they worked there, so they definitely can't use them as a reference. IMO references are kind of silly these days; anyone giving references is obviously only going to give people who will say at least something positive about them. And anyone conducting an interview that can't get a sense of the candidate from talking to them, well, I don't know what to say. (I've been both the applicant and the person hiring).

I guess I'll just use a coworker. The only reason I feel kind of shady about that is that we all worked very independently, so we established relationships based on eating lunch together or being at company events, not really through working together one on one. Everyone was kind of off on their own. Guess it'll have to do! My other two (more recent) references are supervisors, hopefully they won't care about the third since it's an older position anyways.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post

As long as you use a professional reference who worked with you and had a different position that will be fine.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Oh, and don't forget to ask your reference first. I have had the same reference for many years, because I've worked with them on so many projects as a contractor. Every now and then I rotate in a new person from a recent company to keep it fresh. But I always ask my old references just in case, that way they can update me on their title and address. Although LinkedIn keeps me up to date, it never hurts, especially in the case of a coworker retiring.
That just happened with me so now I have to replace her as a reference in the future since she has announced her retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search