Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:01 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
It's not like there is a finite number of jobs. If we had a good economy not this "limping" one, business would be growing and expanding. Now we have 500K people dropping out of the work force monthly and business filling only what is needed. Young people should be marching in the streets for a better economy. But then again they voted for this one 6 yrs ago.
That was tried already with Occupy Wall Street.

Instead, all we got out of it was ridicule for being lazy/entitled whiners and a stack of McDonald's applications tossed out a 30-story window at us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 10:26 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,588,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That was tried already with Occupy Wall Street.

Instead, all we got out of it was ridicule for being lazy/entitled whiners and a stack of McDonald's applications tossed out a 30-story window at us.
Because they were marching against big business and the 1%. Instead of this current Anti-Business administration. That also was "union goons" who paid these young people to protest. As Nancy Pelosi once said "astro turf" not grass roots.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:57 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,128,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
Nobody can make it 30 years at a company anymore, because most companies go out of business before that time. There are also far more layoffs than in previous generations.
Tell that story to anyone that survived the great depression and ask them if there were more layoffs now or then. And there are companies that will always be around look at Ford and GM and Chrysler, Coke they have been here longer than any of us have been alive. So what other excuses do you have to justify your remarks. Im retired but work is work you have to make your own way in life and don't blame others for your failure.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:10 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1313 View Post
Wow man, that's a lot of anger on you...chill out

I can not be a man, I am a woman.

None of the regular activities you described for a X gen applied to me. I got my first job at 16, left home when I was 20. I also finished college and worked at the same time
(daddy and mommy didn't pay for that, I did).

We the X generation had to grow without our parents, they were sooooo busy making money and buying stuff but not paying attention on us... now we have to take care of own families AND work like crazies to replenish your pension funds, how funny is that?

Also, working in a company for 30 years doesn't mean you are a successful person... Times have changed.
While you started to work at 16; I started at 8 selling. Then at 12 I started my first job. I did have one and a half years of college and never graduated - we parted ways. I did serve seven years in our military. But I know that I have worked many times harder than you can ever imagine. I literally lifted 120,000 pounds of 100 pound chemical bags off the floors of box cars each day. Not for my whole life - but I also did other hard jobs.

Maybe you worked hard for your sheepskin and maybe your life isn't a bowl of cherries. But I think that I have worked long and hard enough to continue working to whatever age I want to stop working. I am not going to call it quits simply because somebody, that has not paid their dues in my eyes, wants me to quit. Many of my generation have paid their dues - we show up on time, we really care about the organization we work for, and we are honest. It is no wonder that some companies will take the elderly over the younger workers.

I know that it is not easy to be young and raise a family - especially today. But now is the time that you have to demonstrate, to your employers, that you can cope with today's difficulties and still preform at work - that will be your resume for future jobs.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:13 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Because they were marching against big business and the 1%. Instead of this current Anti-Business administration. That also was "union goons" who paid these young people to protest. As Nancy Pelosi once said "astro turf" not grass roots.
I see...

So the problem wasn't the lack of protest, but what there was protest over (because you disagree with it).

Got it!!!

Old 10-04-2014, 11:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
No; it was the makeup evident that didn't include much but assorted people there for their own reasons. Many to attend the promised concerts; other for the free food and the managed interviews by service worker goons. Even then tho the interviews clearly showed not many there for any reason other than a event. The organizers clearly were shown as disorganized in the trash and complaints from many attending.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:42 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,588,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I see...

So the problem wasn't the lack of protest, but what there was protest over (because you disagree with it).

Got it!!!
By all means, continue to elect people that want to punish business with more and more regulations and higher taxes. Then complain business are laying off people and not expanding for more jobs. While you wait for the boomer's to retire and hope that the employer doesn't eliminate that job. This administration has borrowed over a trillion dollars each of the last six years. With nothing but the worst recovery since the great depression to show for it. He is the gift that keeps giving. Gen X and Y will most likely be the first generations that have it worse then their parents. Who would of thought that by electing a man with no experience running anything, we would be in this bad of shape.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:00 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Who would of thought that by electing a man with no experience running anything, we would be in this bad of shape.
Today's younger generation fervently believes all goodness and wealth flows from government because they know Obama, Pelosi and Boxer have only their best interests in their hearts of gold because they told them so.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:59 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
I wouldn't say Gen X and Y will have things worse. There's simply less to do. Also remember that baby boomers have to sell their stuff for the most part to pay for other things. Younger generations reap the benefits because everything will have to go on sale.

"And there are companies that will always be around look at Ford and GM and Chrysler, Coke they have been here longer than any of us have been alive."

GM should have been allowed to just go bankrupt. They still owe the government billions and lied about product quality for over a decade. Chrysler was sold off to Fiat. Coke is fine but Pepsi has been beating it due to owning Frito lay.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:07 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Work, don't work, but if you do work please be competent.
We have a couple of older workers who just can't keep up (well past retirement age) and they look to co-workers to help them out or cover for them. Top brass is aware but reluctant to do anything other than hope that these workers will eventually realize they just don't cut it anymore and leave on their own. In the meantime these once beloved employees are turning into a headache for the others who find themselves burdened with the extra work. All because those older folks want to feel like they still matter, or because they don't want to be bored and alone at home.
BINGO!!!

In most cases its the younger folk constantly having to pick up the slack for the overpaid boomers (who could have retired years ago) while they just take up a spot in the company that could go to a younger unemployed potential candidate.

What I have have found in most cases is these boomers CAN retire they just choose not to (not because they can't afford it) and the thing is they have outstayed their welcome, can't keep up, and everyone has to pick up the slack. Yet get to continue to stay on and collect their high salary (despite not deserving so due to their production). Hell most at best barely stick around and take a day off every week. Thats nonsense. Especially when someone has to cover for them and making less money.

Very irritating.. And unfair IMO. Im tired of watching these boomers make their 6 figure (or better) a year salary and work MAYBE 3 days a week.

And what pisses me off more, 90 percent of them got to their positions with little to NO competition and get to stay year after year in those positions despite not deserving to stay in the position. While the young college graduates today are graduating and going into a workforce where they are lucky (after years of hard work) if they can make a decent living. Hell most of the boomers didn't even need an associates degree. Now in most cases you need a master since the bachelor's is the new High school Diploma

The boomers had it 10 times easier than the folks graduating today have it. Yet they still insist on having easy street.. And they continue to take up the slots (while they already have had their time in the sun) and the younger generation don't even get a chance.

I have no problem with the ones that continue to stay on provide their worth to their respective companies... But the truth is most don't. They are making a crapload of money for essentially working part time and collecting their overinflated paychecks for little work.

What also bothers me is when the boomers are upper management, constantly asking for feedback or answers on their subordinates what to do.. Excuse me?? You have been with the company longer than ANYONE here, you should know what to do and have the answer. Why are you asking the ones with less experience on what to do??

You're the ones making all the money and with the highest positions, you figure it out. Why should us (less paid individuals on lower levels) make that for you?

Last edited by DorianRo; 10-04-2014 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment