Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:16 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times

Advertisements

I'm nearing "retirement" age, and quite frankly I'm not ready to quit, what the heck would I do all day? And giving up the "thrill of the kill" of high dollar sales is not something I want to give up. I'm self employed, I've tried selling the business, but nobody thinks its worth anywhere near my asking price, so I guess I'll just keep working into retirement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 10:31 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
You are so full of **** you generation x and generation y are so spoiled by there boomer parents and grandparents. Allot of you are still living with your boomer parents because they cannot get the video controller out of your hand. Gen x and y were babied you had your video games cellphone , your Walkman. And your boomer parents also gave you a car I'm sure. We the boomers like me busted our ass. I worked starting at age 13, delivering papers, then busboy, then McDonolds when they first got started. Then there was a little thing called the Vietnam war. But like you younger people we had no choise we were drafted. How about gen x and y I say bring back the draft. Stop blowing smoke up our skirts you look like a fool. Get a job and stop blaming the boomers four failure in life. Grow up and be a man stop passing the buck. Also I worked 40 yrs before I retired 30 yrs at one job. Let's see if you can make it that long at one company.
Walkman? Who is spoiled by something that came out in 1979 Yeah and half of x and y's are typing this on a old reliable Coleco Adam

Frankly some of this is hypocritical ad technologies always come about. Video games technically if you want to go far date back to the 1950's with Tennis for two. Of course there was also pinball that goes back technically to the time of Lincoln!

While it is true there was vietnam but there also was a time without civil rights, womens rights, gay rights and a lack of trading of goods and services with 2/3rds of the planet. Heck in Mass a retailer was banned from operating on sundays until 1990 (blue laws). Add in higher unionization and of course we see a mix of the argument here.

Look while technology today has made a fair amount easier it has always been the case in history. My father didn't grow up with computers, his father didn't grow up with tv and his father didn't grow up with radio....so what.

Today there are MUCH higher requirements for hiring then there was in the past. Drug tests started in the 1980's and then followed with criminal background checks and even credit checks. In the 1970's who honestly was arrested for drunk driving? It's a crime today. How many streaked back then? today that puts you on a sex offender list and you can kiss goodbye a fair amount of jobs and especially anything with children.
Let's not also forget that the criminality of criminality extends far beyond duration. Most states withdrew voting rights and the compounding nature of that along with a lack of being able to be armed certainly can be an issue.So let's say someone streaked or drove drunk in the 70's and they were...a private security guard. Nothing happened. Today they'd be without a drivers license and without a FID card so any hopes of being a cop are erased. There was no GPS back then so anyone driving with logistics could take all the time in the world because there also was no email or tracking numbers.

How much blind faith was there with professions back then? Today I can check angies list for contractors. How many just went by word alone if someone was good back then? Again no background checks, credit checks, drug tests etc. If a couple applied for a mortgage in the 70's the banks wouldn't even ask what the wife did for work because it didn't matter. Today that MUST be asked, no bank in the world would be that stupid otherwise. Bankruptcy back then was a slap on the wrist. In 1979 they eliminated the possibility of dissolving student debt in it, only in extreme cases. Then in 2005 bankruptcy laws changed to make it a plea in front of a judge.

Even in manufacturing things changed. Do you think the Ford Pinto would have existed after Six Sigma was created? How about lead paint and asbestos? Heck I haven't even started to talk about standardized testing in education. Back then someone might be able to drop out of high school and slog into some factory. Today they'd compete with illegal aliens for work.

There are much more people in the labor pool and thus much higher standards then before. There is ample amounts of evidence to illustrate this.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:37 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
BINGO!!!

In most cases its the younger folk constantly having to pick up the slack for the overpaid boomers (who could have retired years ago) while they just take up a spot in the company that could go to a younger unemployed potential candidate.

What I have have found in most cases is these boomers CAN retire they just choose not to (not because they can't afford it) and the thing is they have outstayed their welcome, can't keep up, and everyone has to pick up the slack. Yet get to continue to stay on and collect their high salary (despite not deserving so due to their production). Hell most at best barely stick around and take a day off every week. Thats nonsense. Especially when someone has to cover for them and making less money.

Very irritating.. And unfair IMO. Im tired of watching these boomers make their 6 figure (or better) a year salary and work MAYBE 3 days a week.

And what pisses me off more, 90 percent of them got to their positions with little to NO competition and get to stay year after year in those positions despite not deserving to stay in the position. While the young college graduates today are graduating and going into a workforce where they are lucky (after years of hard work) if they can make a decent living. Hell most of the boomers didn't even need an associates degree. Now in most cases you need a master since the bachelor's is the new High school Diploma

The boomers had it 10 times easier than the folks graduating today have it. Yet they still insist on having easy street.. And they continue to take up the slots (while they already have had their time in the sun) and the younger generation don't even get a chance.

I have no problem with the ones that continue to stay on provide their worth to their respective companies... But the truth is most don't. They are making a crapload of money for essentially working part time and collecting their overinflated paychecks for little work.
The worst of these you speak of is teachers who work in good schools, in big cities. It kills me seeing 60 something teacher with like 33-36 years in, making kids snore when the students would probably be better served by a fresh individual that relates a lil better.

There's a teachers at my school who's been teaching 41 years, and she thinks shes so wonderful and the kids tell me and others how they cant stand her or its tought to stay awake. But becuz of the way things are, she can come in for as long as she wants until she drops dead. Meanwhile shes at the top of the pay scale milking it. Another teacher in her 35th year told me shes hanging on 2 more years so that her husband can get lifetime health benefits from the district. I mean, I guess abuse the system if you can, but Im starting to see why districts want to do away with tenure. Vets can easily stay on forever and cost a district a crap load of money

I believe its the FBI that actually limits how long you can work, or maybe its how long u can be in the field. In any case, they seem to be the only ones who have it right.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:45 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
I retired last summer at age 48. It's been a year now since, and 2 weeks ago I started working part-time out of sheer boredom.

If you'd told me I'd be bored in retirement before I actually retired I'd have thought you were nuts.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:13 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
If you keep on working past retirement age you aren't helping society. Get off the pot and let someone else come on, hell train them in even. This is what keeps society rolling.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:42 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
The worst of these you speak of is teachers who work in good schools, in big cities. It kills me seeing 60 something teacher with like 33-36 years in, making kids snore when the students would probably be better served by a fresh individual that relates a lil better.

There's a teachers at my school who's been teaching 41 years, and she thinks shes so wonderful and the kids tell me and others how they cant stand her or its tought to stay awake. But becuz of the way things are, she can come in for as long as she wants until she drops dead. Meanwhile shes at the top of the pay scale milking it. Another teacher in her 35th year told me shes hanging on 2 more years so that her husband can get lifetime health benefits from the district. I mean, I guess abuse the system if you can, but Im starting to see why districts want to do away with tenure. Vets can easily stay on forever and cost a district a crap load of money

I believe its the FBI that actually limits how long you can work, or maybe its how long u can be in the field. In any case, they seem to be the only ones who have it right.
In a sense that's also why in Mass they legalized online schools although I think they did put a cap on charter. I understand tenure in higher education, especially when research is involved. But I met a kindergarten teacher once that had it. In all honesty there's enough resources to help kids read and move past the basics like that unless there is a outright disability. I learned at age three and credit Sesame St.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:38 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Yes -- but to what? You can't sit around the house vegetating for 55 years.

And I think that's the thing. You make a ton of dough to retire to something you enjoy that doesn't pay well, because you can afford it. Every person I know requires structure in their day. When that's lost, so are they.

Now -- that could be a simple every day I walk to the store and buy stuff for dinner. Or I have to go to the post office to buy a stamp... but there are things that need to be done, and a schedule to be maintained.
I agree.

There's a bit of chicken-and-egg situation to this story, imo. I think our immediate thought when reading stories like this one is that the people are still working because they're still healthy in old age.

I really think think it's the other way around, though. I think they're healthy in old age BECAUSE they continue to work. Yes, they probably have good genes, and they probably take good care of themselves. But I think there are studies showing that keeping mentally active is as important to longevity as is keeping physically active.

The key is to do something that you enjoy. The other poster who said people don't want to keep working if they have to do something they don't enjoy, is right.

Having said all that, I don't want to be working when I'm 102, either.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 10-05-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 08:44 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Sucks for the next generation of 20's and 30's. My job just promoted a guy in his 60's over two perfectly capable guys in their early 30's.

Was a big kick in the balls for me and those other two guys.

Many of those in my job are about to collect double retirements. They will not leave which is stifling others potential.

Time to look for greener pastures. Who wants to wait 10..20 years to get a promotion.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:45 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Because we're busy paying your student debt.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Sucks for the next generation of 20's and 30's. My job just promoted a guy in his 60's over two perfectly capable guys in their early 30's.

Was a big kick in the balls for me and those other two guys.

Many of those in my job are about to collect double retirements. They will not leave which is stifling others potential.

Time to look for greener pastures. Who wants to wait 10..20 years to get a promotion.

It is the same where I work also.

People that say they are working out of boredom.... I am still trying to figure out where these jobs are coming from.

These are the same people that will blast Millennials for not working hard enough, or to "just go out there and get a job". They will blast the unemployed for taking UC. The ironic part is that they are TAKING the same jobs that they accuse people of not wanting or not working hard enough to acheive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment