Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I used my office printer to print 4 colored pictures for my sister's school project. The office printer is of much higher quality so I thought why not. At first, I didn't think much of it, but I'm wondering if this is a no-no in the workplace?

Thank you.
If you work for me you do not use company equipment for your own personal use.
Go to Walgreens on your lunch or after work, go to CVS on your lunch or after work, go to your own home and use your own equipment.

Why should I pay for your Sister's school project? She isn't my Sister and I don't pay you to use my company time and equipment for yourself or your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:43 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Seriously? That's hardly the same thing. Offices print 1000s of pages a day of useless junk. You really think that 4 pages makes a difference?

Considering the pathetic ways that companies are squeezing employees these days, I think it's perfectly fair to use office supplies for personal use as long as you're not doing so excessively.
I agree, i'll routinely get several copies of work-related documents that I've already received. god forbid I print something out that I need once in a blue moon because my printer doesn't work or I can't find the time to print it out at home because I am working 3 consecutive 14 hours shifts in a row.

if the boss gets their period over me printing out a couple of pages i'll throw them a nickel per page ffs.

as long as you're not constantly printing non-work related stuff, then I don't see the big deal. as for the butthurt responses about "stealing" from the company, you people fer real? get over yourselves. I bet you waste your company's resources in other ways and don't even know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Go to Walgreens on your lunch or after work, go to CVS on your lunch or after work, go to your own home and use your own equipment.

Why should I pay for your Sister's school project? She isn't my Sister and I don't pay you to use my company time and equipment for yourself or your family.
you seem like such a joy to work for. do you charge your employees every time they need to take a dump in your company toilet too?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM

227 posts, read 392,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Because that small token will lead to happier employees, which should help your company. If a company is too strict, the employees are more likely to get fed up and leave, and high turnover is a lot more costly than a few pieces of paper and some ink.

It's different for small and big companies though. If you're talking about a very small firm, printer costs might be on par with what people pay at home. For a large company, paper and ink is so much cheaper that it's not even worth worrying about. At my company (an enormous company with 250,000+ employees), people waste so much paper on unnecessary work-related print jobs (printing out multiple drafts of 100 page monthly decks, etc) that it's not worth worrying about someone that prints out their boarding pass every now and then. Even if you can add up the cost of every single personal printout across the company, it would barely be a rounding error in their year-end financials.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
It depends on the company, and technology. My old company had a pretty open policy, 100 pages/month b&w, 10 pages color was fine, more then that required you to ask (and near as I can tell was always approved)

Current workplace has no policy, but I suspect if you abused it too much someone would talk to you.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:08 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
It's without a doubt inconsiderate of an employee to print out, say, a sister's school project on the company's printer. I can understand why the owners would be tiffed about that.

However, if you have an owner who's getting riled up over just a couple pieces of paper that an employee prints here and there, while they're certainly entitled to get riled up about it, I definitely wouldn't want to work for that company.

I suppose they also charge (or get highly upset) when guests want to use their bathrooms as well, because that extra flush is going to lead to a nominal increase in their water bill?

Old 10-20-2014, 03:13 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
It's really kinda up to company policy.

Frankly, if I printed out a simple list or page or two on my way out the door I wouldn't expect my employer to get bent out of shape about it.

Same way that if I had to say an extra 10 minutes I wouldn't be a butt head about it either.

Kinda depends on the work type and so forth.

P.S. I think we can do without the hyperbole like comparing 4 sheets of paper printed off = 50 cents vs. driving around a company car with a monetary impact being vastly higher. Just like the employee shouldn't be bent out of shape for working 2 minutes extra @10dollars an hour = 33 cents of "lost wages".

Old 10-20-2014, 03:38 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,725,195 times
I used to when I worked, but, now I have my SO use it sometimes at his work.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
I agree, i'll routinely get several copies of work-related documents that I've already received. god forbid I print something out that I need once in a blue moon because my printer doesn't work or I can't find the time to print it out at home because I am working 3 consecutive 14 hours shifts in a row.

if the boss gets their period over me printing out a couple of pages i'll throw them a nickel per page ffs.

as long as you're not constantly printing non-work related stuff, then I don't see the big deal. as for the butthurt responses about "stealing" from the company, you people fer real? get over yourselves. I bet you waste your company's resources in other ways and don't even know it.

you seem like such a joy to work for. do you charge your employees every time they need to take a dump in your company toilet too?

Classy!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
At my employer, print jobs go through a print server before they go to the printer, and all kinds of details about that print job are retained for budget purposes. (Users can print to any printer on the network, but the costs fir the printing are sent to their department, rather than the department where the printer is located.) If HR wanted to catch someone using the printer for personal jobs, it would be trivially easy for the people who administer that server to monitor any single user's usage, even to the point of keeping a copy of the document that was printed.

It's a risky choice in that kind of environment.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:44 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Classy!
i can be a bit outspoken at times. sue me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment