Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I used my office printer to print 4 colored pictures for my sister's school project. The office printer is of much higher quality so I thought why not. At first, I didn't think much of it, but I'm wondering if this is a no-no in the workplace?

Thank you.
Of course. From time to time. I don't think it's frowned upon as long as you get your work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 10:33 PM

403 posts, read 557,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If people were printing that much while at work, I would think that paper waste would be a minor problem compared to all the lost effort that went into that printing. People must have been running print shops on the side during business hours.
It was pretty bad, but the decision to do it this way has straightened out a lot of it. Even though it's on 7 cents a page, people just don't want to pay it. They were glad to take advantage of it when it was free, but not so much as long as there is ANY charge whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't like the idea when it was first brought up to us. Mainly I was worried that the access codes could be something that would be fairly easy to figure out and then you'd have people printing things out and having them charged to another employee. Now, that has happened when people have forgotten to log out of the printer, but for the most part, the change to this system has gone pretty smoothly. I never printed out personal things at work before we started doing it this way except for maybe an occasional boarding pass if I forgot to do it at home and I was going to be leaving shortly after work. That's about all I do now also, but other people are printing out a lot less non-work related documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchan View Post
I wouldn't do it if you worked at a large corporation where they have an IT department. They have the capacity to check every single page you've ever printed - and even replicate what you've printed. I heard of a story where they publicly made fun of an employee for printing personal things, and replicated everything she did and stuck it on her desk telling her not to do it again.
Wouldn't this be considered a form of harassment and therefore, illegal? Sure, the company could punish her for printing all of that stuff, but it doesn't mean she deserves to be publicly made fun of.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:42 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you do so without permission then, yes, it's a "no-no". If you worked as a car salesman would you think it would be OK to take a car off the lot every night to ride around in?
Not even the same thing....as the latter would have serious legal ramifications.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:42 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Something to consider, especially if you work for a very large company is that there are background print applications being used that literally track not only who prints and how many pages, but they copy your printed items off to a large storage server so that improper use can be checked for. Although the purpose is really to look for people printing confidential items that shouldn't be printed, you can be caught and fired for using company printers for personal use.
After reading a couple more pages of the responses, I thought I had better add to my own post.

This capability extends to the work from home user on the corporate VPN as well. If I print something, my print job actually goes out to corporate world somewhere, gets saved into that huge database, then sent back over the VPN connection to me, to my printer. This software doesn't even allow us to have a true "local" printer. Even a quick print screen goes off to neverland, then back to my printer, in my house. Since they provide the printer, I can't really complain.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:56 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
Quote:
If you do so without permission then, yes, it's a "no-no". If you worked as a car salesman would you think it would be OK to take a car off the lot every night to ride around in?
Yes..It's called a demo.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Not even the same thing....as the latter would have serious legal ramifications.
Save the "smack" and see subsequent post responding to a similar comment.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
I use the office printer occasionally. my printer at home sucks and uses a lot of ink. ink cartridges aint cheap either. I don't print a lot of things so it is like a drop in the bucket for the office. they do waste a lot of paper

Old 10-20-2014, 08:57 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,816,382 times
Yes - does anyone not?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 AM

917 posts, read 1,383,304 times
I do but I rarely have anything to print. One guy in my office uses the color printer for personal use like no other.. He has tones of pictures up in his cubicle that he's printed here. Only thing I have printed that was in color was my Cowboys schedule lol

Old 10-20-2014, 01:10 PM

352 posts, read 324,569 times
Quote:
Seriously? That's hardly the same thing. Offices print 1000s of pages a day of useless junk. You really think that 4 pages makes a difference?

Considering the pathetic ways that companies are squeezing employees these days, I think it's perfectly fair to use office supplies for personal use as long as you're not doing so excessively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment