Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:10 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Doesn't really matter for me. Whether it's business casual or a suit, it still has to be dry cleaned. Of course, business casual has a big range. My interpretation of it is basically slacks (wool) and a sports coat or not depending on temperature, so it's really not any different than a suit accept that suit pants wear out faster than the jackets.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. I only dry clean my suits a few times a year anyway.
I've never heard of business casual including a sport coat. I always thought it was khakis + collared shirt (preferably button down shirt). I wash all of the aforementioned items at home in my washing machine - no dry cleaning required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 AM

271 posts, read 532,364 times
Depends.

I've been doing the jeans and t-shirt thing in my office for almost 7 years, we're allowed to wear whatever as long as it's clean. If clients are showing up, we get a day's notice to put on a shirt with a collar. That's about it.

It would need to be a significant bump to get me to update and maintain a business formal wardrobe... a couple thousand a month at least.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:22 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Of course! Your position's salary will be paying for it, probably. Go learn now to look nice. Don't buy synthetics suits, they look and feel cheap. Get linen, silk, wool, at least $500/suit. It's an investment.
I buy most of mine used.

Suit cuts change so if you're a dandy, you're rotating suits. If you're like me and don't really care if you're wearing a suit that looks like it was from five years ago but doesn't want to wear a trash bag from the '90s, that's a great way to do it. You do have to have one suit that fits pretty well so you can get measurements from that.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:35 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I've never heard of business casual including a sport coat. I always thought it was khakis + collared shirt (preferably button down shirt). I wash all of the aforementioned items at home in my washing machine - no dry cleaning required.
Yup, big range in business casual.

Khakis and a golf shirt work for some environments, but it's at the extreme casual end of business casual. It probably works fine if you're in IT or something more casual. I'm in the legal sector which is notoriously stuffy.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

According to glassdoor.com, the reviews for the company are generally positive, and people say that the pay, benefits, culture and company are great. But they say that the one con is wearing business formal.

Anyway, back to the point. Would you accept a job that requires business formal dress code?
It is called moving up in the world and getting ahead. If I were looking for a job/new career, I'd be striving to get a job where formal wear is the norm. Not because I would like the look, cost or feeling, but because it would probably mean a high paying white collar job with upward mobility.

Now put on a tie and dress shoes, grab your car keys, and go accept the position!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,258,427 times
At least you won't have to wear panty hose and heels. Back at my first job that was a requirement for the women. At least the heels back then weren't as high as they are now. I remember the first casual Friday, was weird wearing pants to work. And this was 1991.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't consider dressing like a professional to be old school. That said, I agree that it does depend on the job and client/public interaction.
People over time have been getting less and less formal. The suit and tie is actually a step down from its Victorian predecessor. If you wore an Armani suit and went back to the 10's/20's youd look like a bum to them.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
If the job offered a significant increase in pay and upward mobility, then I would take it. I hate dressing up for work though. HATE IT.

I really think it is ridiculous that everyone in my department is even in business casual clothing every day. We never see or speak to a customer. Ever. In my 10 years working in finance compliance I've never once talked to a customer. Why am I dressing up to sit in a cube/office by myself?

The part that really seals in the ridiculousness for me is that we have casual Friday. So, on Friday we can dress in jeans and it's okay, but somehow it would be detrimental to do that any other day of the week? It makes no sense at all. My work isn't better on Tuesday because I'm in uncomfortable and unflattering polyester pants. In fact, I probably am most productive on Friday because I'm the most comfortable then.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Never.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
If the job offered a significant increase in pay and upward mobility, then I would take it. I hate dressing up for work though. HATE IT.

I really think it is ridiculous that everyone in my department is even in business casual clothing every day. We never see or speak to a customer. Ever. In my 10 years working in finance compliance I've never once talked to a customer. Why am I dressing up to sit in a cube/office by myself?

The part that really seals in the ridiculousness for me is that we have casual Friday. So, on Friday we can dress in jeans and it's okay, but somehow it would be detrimental to do that any other day of the week? It makes no sense at all. My work isn't better on Tuesday because I'm in uncomfortable and unflattering polyester pants. In fact, I probably am most productive on Friday because I'm the most comfortable then.
If employers really wanted to improve morale, they would drop the formal dress code for positions where it clearly isn't needed. I think of the money I save each year by not having to buy and shop for business clothing. I figured it out once and it costs the same yearly as it is to afford a law moving service. Just think of it, I don't spend time and money shopping for suits, shirts, ties, socks and shoes and I also get to spend that time doing what I want, plus I don't have to take care of the lawn so even more time.

Are the people wearing suits for no good reason maxing out their 401(k) at work? I bet not, because they can't afford to because they have to allocate money for clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment