Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:01 PM

16 posts, read 14,564 times

Advertisements

My name is Joseph. Just graduated Harvard as a History major. Hate my job. Would appreciate any advice.

Did 3 summer internships.
(1) Capitol Hill
(2) marketing for Coke
(3) a non-profit.

As a senior, I applied for 100s of jobs. 50+ companies interviewed me. Finally got an offer: Finance, $72K, good hours (8:30-6). I accepted gratefully.

Problem: Stress. Exhaustion. Depression.

The problem's not this job. It's offices in general. Being chained to a chair. Indoors. Acting fake. slowly dying in front of computer. Don't think a life of that is worth any amount of money.

So I’m asking for help.

Any jobs with the following criteria?

1. outdoors
2. moving around

3. maximizes opportunities for future
4. interacting with others
5. creative
6. safe
7. $ is obviously valued
8. in a large city
9. Music: I love music writing/producing pop music. As elusive as it is to have a career in that field, I'm determined to have a (A) a job that supports, or at least gives me the time/money to sustain the hobby as I chase the dream of full time work as an artist in the "industry."

Plan on making a list of outdoors jobs and using vacation times to shadow them. Will either find one I like or acquire a newfound humility for the office.

Thank you so much for any feedback.

Joseph

Last edited by question654; 10-25-2014 at 11:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 11:08 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
You probably don't have what it takes, but if you want to work real blue collar and still make money, go be a rig hand on a drill rig out in the oil field.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:15 PM

85 posts, read 121,295 times
I'm sorry, but you graduated out of Harvard, got over fifty interviews in the course of a year, just started out at a job making $72,000 per year inside an air-conditioned office while sitting in a cushy office chair in front of a computer, protected against the elements, and you're saying you're MISERABLE????

I'm trying really, really hard to understand your situation. I really am. But a job is a job. It's not supposed to be fun and creative. You can do whatever truly interests you on the evenings and weekends while your job pays the bills and puts food on the table.

I would say you should be thankful for the very fortunate situation you're in. Tons of recent grads are struggling out there making minimum wage.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:26 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
I'm not even sure if the OP is serious, as this is their very first post after just joining the forum.

Everything they say seems way too surreal to be legit...

Old 10-25-2014, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the oil rigging suggestion. Plan on making a list of outdoors jobs and using vacation times to shadow them. Will either find one I like or acquire a newfound humility for the office.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:31 AM

166 posts, read 278,511 times
K i'll give u the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is a serious question.

I know MC recommended looking in the O&G field but it doesn't sound like a good fit tbh.

If u want a good outdoor job, check out Outdoor Magazine's list of best places to work. You can Google it. However, pay is probably not going to be anywhere near as high as your finance gig.

Not everybody is designed to sit in front of a computer screen crunching numbers all day.

But before you quit (or IF you quit), just make sure you've got your next job lined up first. As Humz says, it's a really tough market out there for grads.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
K i'll give u the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is a serious question.

If u want a good outdoor job, check out Outdoor Magazine's list of best places to work. You can Google it.

Not everybody is designed to sit in front of a computer screen crunching numbers all day.

But before you quit (or IF you quit), just make sure you've got your next job lined up first. As Humz says, it's a really tough market out there for grads.
Will do. Really appreciate the advice. This is a serious question. You said it perfectly. "Not everybody is designed to sit in front of a computer screen crunching numbers all day." Thanks.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humz View Post
I'm sorry, but you graduated out of Harvard, got over fifty interviews in the course of a year, just started out at a job making $72,000 per year inside an air-conditioned office while sitting in a cushy office chair in front of a computer, protected against the elements, and you're saying you're MISERABLE????

I'm trying really, really hard to understand your situation. I really am. But a job is a job. It's not supposed to be fun and creative. You can do whatever truly interests you on the evenings and weekends while your job pays the bills and puts food on the table.

I would say you should be thankful for the very fortunate situation you're in. Tons of recent grads are struggling out there making minimum wage.
Many jobs are supposed to be fun and creative. Why would someone choose to do a job they don't enjoy if they have other options? The OP should do whatever he/she wants to do. If that means finding a job that they are more interested in, that's perfectly fine.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:57 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
One of my relatives got out of college and landed a " good" administrative job. He literally went to JC Penny and bought ten sets of shirts and ties. I don't think he got to wear them all before he quit. He took a job with the rail road driving trains and retired making over $90,000 per year. Don't equate blue collar with low pay. I don't know what driving a train has to do with being happy but two close friends did the same thing one is still driving trains.

Having music as hobby/part time job means you can have a job that has rotating shifts. You need time off during the day for the business part and time off in the evenings for the creative part and be with other musicians, many musicians have day jobs and you will only catch up with them at night.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:58 AM

160 posts, read 287,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm not even sure if the OP is serious, as this is their very first post after just joining the forum.

Everything they say seems way too surreal to be legit...
If you're legit you know about PMIs (Presidential Management Interns). I suoervised many with the Forest Service and National Park Service.
Very smart folks...weren't worth a damn doing the blue collar "grunt work" though....they wanted back to rhe air-conditioned office after a couple if days working a large fire...sleeping in the dirt, no showers, cold food, "o'dark thirty morning briefings.
Mainly Yale graduate students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment