Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the scruffy look is not appreciated in the business world. the 4 seasons are still in--- in the world of business. the same people that ask "why do i need a tie, shirt and shave?" are the same ones that ask "why do i have to clean up my room?". the business community does not want you any more than mommy did. slobs need not apply.
I'm sorry, but how is having hair on your face being a slob?

You are setting up a nice strawman argument. As if people here were arguing against wearing company uniforms. This thread isn't about that. Either learn how to have a discussion like a logical person or leave the debate to people who understand how to make sense of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 12:23 PM

338 posts, read 421,352 times
Quote:
"The scruffy look is not appreciated in the business world. The four seasons are still in, in the world of business. The same people who ask 'why do I need a tie, shirt and shave?' are the same ones that ask 'why do I have to clean up my room?'. The business community does not want you any more than mommy did. Slobs need not apply."
^-- This.

+1.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:55 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
[quote=313Weather;37023312]
If you were the client or customer and had the choice, would you feel more comfortable working with someone who's clean shaven, or someone who looks like a hobo that hasn't cleaned themselves up in forever?[/QUOTE
Not everybody with a beard looks like a hobo. Some of us have neat well trimmed beards,

Old 10-28-2014, 01:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
^-- This.

+1.
That argument is terrible. How is having neat facial hair being a slob?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Clean shaven denotes pride in appearance? This makes no sense. What if your appearance is that of being a hairy man? Then wearing facial denotes pride in that case. If a naturally hairy man shaves, that denotes shame in his appearance.

You can't apply this argument to facial hair. You can to hair on your head. Hair on the head doesn't have to be messy, naturally. It just grows naturally. Whatever a man does with it is neither natural or unnatural. Same with hair on the face. If it looks a mess, then yes I agree in may denote lack of pride in appearance, as if the man doesn't care. But if it's kept neat I have NO clue why this would be shameful. Get out of the 50s.
I think the thing is we still have a fairly conservative company culture that is slowly turning the clock back. In my example the Walt Disney Company didn't allow any facial hair for employees (besides imagineers) until 2001 when they allowed clean and tight mustaches BUT you had to grow them in when you were off due to "consistency and show." Last year, they now allow beards and goatees the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That argument is terrible. How is having neat facial hair being a slob?
As I mentioned earlier unless it is a thing that you cannot do your job safely ie beards get caught in gears or can't fit in gas masks; or it's unkept with blotches here and there or unclean, there shouldn't be problems.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Unless facial hair is required as a matter of religious accommodation an employer can determine whether (or how much) facial hair is acceptable. FWIW, that determination can be individual. Not all employees need be treated the same.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:08 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
[quote=longnecker;37053125]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
If you were the client or customer and had the choice, would you feel more comfortable working with someone who's clean shaven, or someone who looks like a hobo that hasn't cleaned themselves up in forever?[/QUOTE
Not everybody with a beard looks like a hobo. Some of us have neat well trimmed beards,
You also missed the point of my post.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:40 AM

6 posts, read 4,698 times
My org. does this too. Requires you 'dress professional' so dress shirt, tie is required of all employees everyday. Also, males must be clean shaven with no piercings or visable tattoos.

The CEO Stresses you "look professional."

The CEO has also been voted down by 'say on pay' and been voted the cities most overpaid several years in a row. Furthermore the Company just paid a massive fine for fraud without admitting fault but it is obvious to anyone this was fraud purported from the very top. Anyone who reads the subpoenas or DOJ evidence can see this.

These people can pretend they are professional and dressing professional makes them great but most of them belong in prison. Including the CEO of my org. and his 20 million dollar a year salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment