Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 AM

615 posts, read 726,375 times

Advertisements

2-3 months until the end of my contract. I need to start blasting out applications. I thought that, given all I've heard about "The unemployment rate just dipped to its lowest in 10 years!", there would be some noticeable improvement in the quality/quantity/availability of jobs being posted on Indeed, LinkedIn, etc.

Nothing has changed, as far as I can tell.
  • Majority of jobs are temporary contracts offered through staffing agencies
  • Hard to find anything that doesn't require a number of years of prior professional experience
  • Still have to use time-consuming, crappy application platforms such as Taleo.
  • Large companies that are laying off employees still post hundreds of jobs everyday (It's obviously an automated system that isn't necessarily posting jobs that are available)

Granted: I'm looking at technology jobs. Maybe the job situation is improving in the service sector and fast food sector (as if that's something to rejoice about).

Here I am, on the job boards again. Here I am, refresh the page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khH9ih2XJg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
If you're experienced, why are you relying on job boards and not your network?

You're putting time/energy into the least productive way to find a job.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:22 AM

615 posts, read 726,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you're experienced, why are you relying on job boards and not your network?
I don't have much professional experience in my field (10 months) and networking is overrated anyhow.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I don't have much professional experience in my field (10 months) and networking is overrated anyhow.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The vast majority of jobs are never, ever posted. They are found and filled through networks.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:12 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Oh my GOD. Networking is HOW YOU GET A JOB.

Get off the computer and TALK to people.

Volunteer. Work part time. Word of mouth, dude.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:29 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
You sound clueless. Networking is how you get the job.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:36 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,664 times
I have to agree that "networking" as a conscious activity tends to be over rated. As I've perceived it since I first heard the word years ago, it implies pursuing professional relationships in order to advance one's career.

A lot of people simply have friends and acquaintances in their field, in other fields, etc. Talking to them about a job search or career change is exactly how you find jobs that are unadvertised or before the jobs are advertised.

Where I work, we already know the next guy we're going to hire. We knew he was tired of his current position and would be a good fit for the one we'll open. But I don't know the guy because he "networked" - I know him because he's a friendly guy in a job tangential to mine and we get together and BS now and then.

I believe the OP meant something along these lines when he said networking is overrated.

Getting back to the OP's point though - I believe the only thing causing the unemployment figures to seem low is the book cooking methods that cease counting those who stop looking for work after some period of time. I've heard from far too many people like you to believe that unemployment is really below 10% at all - let alone 6.7% or whatever the latest claim was (I don't know since tracking such useless numbers is a waste of time).

Old 10-28-2014, 09:43 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,237 times
Can't work part time unless the employer calls you for an interview. Many times they won't even do that. So nothing happens.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Where I work, we already know the next guy we're going to hire. We knew he was tired of his current position and would be a good fit for the one we'll open. But I don't know the guy because he "networked" - I know him because he's a friendly guy in a job tangential to mine and we get together and BS now and then.
Well this is networking to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Getting back to the OP's point though - I believe the only thing causing the unemployment figures to seem low is the book cooking methods that cease counting those who stop looking for work after some period of time.

That's not book cooking and it has always been the case that if you cease looking for employment that you are no longer part of the workforce so you're not counted. Nor should you be. Very very few people find work without looking for it.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You sound clueless. Networking is how you get the job.
There should a middle ground here between "network is how you get the job" and "networking is overrated."

Obviously it will never hurt someone to have connections for a job opportunity. Everything else being equal, people are more likely to work with known quantities/qualities than those which are unknown. So to say "networking is overrated" is very shortsighted.

Likewise, those who say "networking is how you get the job" also aren't being entirely truthful. Sure, it can certainly help one land a job, but it still won't get you the job if someone doesn't consider you a good fit for the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment