Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM

917 posts, read 1,384,752 times

Advertisements

Is every single email really "high importance"? I get a few of them from people at work (who are in different departments) who mark every single one of their emails as "high importance". Is it possible that people abuse this feature? Lol

Most of the emails are not of "high importance" at all. I almost never use this feature but everyone else seems to use it on a regular basis. Just curious if anyone deals with this in their workplace? I find it the same thing as people who abuse the "reply all" button
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:39 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,637 times
Importance is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe to them, each communication really is the most important thing they can think of at that moment?

I hear you on the "reply to all" though - nothing worse.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Importance is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe to them, each communication really is the most important thing they can think of at that moment?

I hear you on the "reply to all" though - nothing worse.
True, I see them as "drop everything youre doing and work on my request". Thats probably why. This woman sends the high importance email and then calls me to see if I read it.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:47 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,603 times
That's the difficulty with e-mail, you can't tell if someone actually is considering your e-mail highly important unless they respond. I use that feature about 2-3 times a year, but don't know how others view it. I wouldn't have a problem calling after an e-mail for truly high important e-mails.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
The little boy who cried wolf effect would come into it for me. I get 100+ e-mails a day and don't remember the last time I got one marked highly important. When something is that urgent my boss or whoever it is will always come to my office in person.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,997 times
I send out maintenance related emails from a shared Administrator email account to our internal user base(400-500 users globally). Most of these are relatively minor and can be ignored because they'll only apply to a few users(Creating a new account in the system for one site for example) but we have to notify all users because making the change to the system kicks all the users out for about 30 minutes. If you woke up the next day and saw the Maintenance Started and Completed emails, they can usually be ignored, but if you were awake, they're meaningful.

On some occassions, we need to actually have all the user read our emails. When a change results in a process change for everyone(a change in the link to connect to the system for example) they need to read that. Those are the only situations I use high importance.

I don't see it as a "Read this immediately" flag, rather as a "You're not going to want to miss this email" flag.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,027 times
Call her on it. Unless she is a bigwig, there is nothing wrong with noting that you have to deal with many different tasks, and are forced to triage hers with everyone else's because she uses that button all of the time.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Call her on it. Unless she is a bigwig, there is nothing wrong with noting that you have to deal with many different tasks, and are forced to triage hers with everyone else's because she uses that button all of the time.
No she's not, I have actually been here longer than she has. She is requesting an invoice for the customer (so she says). I found out, it's only for her records. The customer already received what they needed when she requests these as "high importance". She just wants to have something on file. Not really urgent when I have other invoices that are actually needed because they wont ship without it.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Wait until you get a few in a short time spam. Then ask her to clarify which are of higher importance since she marked them all important. Maybe she'll get the hint.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
If somebody always sends me stuff at high importance, I simply assume that none of them are important.

I use this feature 2-3 times/year, no more. I also make sure that everybody receiving the message really truly needs to know or respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment