U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2014, 03:51 PM
 
2,303 posts, read 2,137,418 times
Reputation: 3827

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I know, looking at a cel phone is such a terrible crime that this guy deserved to get fired. The nerve of this guy! The company should probably have charged him with theft, too....for stealing a paycheck.

puh- leaz
No, looking at a cell phone isn't that terrible.

Showing a history of disregarding policy is though. If I say don't fill out the form in red pen, and then you ignore me and use the red pen, that's a problem. The red ink, probably isn't that bad, but the fact that you're choosing to ignore instructions is. This isn't a case of making a mistake at work and doing something wrong, it's a willful act of choosing to ignore a rule under the assumption that you won't get caught. In this case, the OP found out the hard way that you can't just ignore policy.

Also, I'd be surprised if this was the first time the OP used a cell phone at work. This is probably just the first time the supervisor saw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Status: "Basking in my white and height privilege" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
17,604 posts, read 8,679,162 times
Reputation: 18259
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I know, looking at a cel phone is such a terrible crime that this guy deserved to get fired. The nerve of this guy! The company should probably have charged him with theft, too....for stealing a paycheck.

puh- leaz
Do you realize how silly this sounds? There was a poll done recently with 500 people and 50% of those surveyed said they worked in blocks of 15 minutes before checking their email, texting, and doing other things on their cell phones. Survey results showed that in companies with 1,000 employees or more, the company loses $10 million dollars a year on this. So if there are rules in place, there's a reason for it and you have a choice of either not working at a company with those rules, following those rules, or thinking you're above the rules and then getting fired. Your choice.

Or you could start your own company and allow your employees to do whatever they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 03:53 PM
 
25,090 posts, read 11,763,869 times
Reputation: 11756
Yup, best advice, when you call the head guy, apologize, take responsibility...and if you're fired, thank him for the time you were there, and that if he ever needs someone to fill in to call you.....and look for new work.

Don't burn bridges, don't make excuses, and be polite even if your guts are dying inside. You're human, and had a learning experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 03:56 PM
 
1,923 posts, read 1,097,955 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Do you realize how silly this sounds? There was a poll done recently with 500 people and 50% of those surveyed said they worked in blocks of 15 minutes before checking their email, texting, and doing other things on their cell phones. Survey results showed that in companies with 1,000 employees or more, the company loses $10 million dollars a year on this. So if there are rules in place, there's a reason for it and you have a choice of either not working at a company with those rules, following those rules, or thinking you're above the rules and then getting fired. Your choice.

Or you could start your own company and allow your employees to do whatever they want.
That survey is absolute garbage. Companies do not lose money this way, certainly not 10 million dollars, and anyone who says differently is either selling something or being deceived by someone that is.
Ridiculous that someone can't occasionally check their cel phone and still do their job.

I'd lay off the koolaid if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
39,473 posts, read 38,067,918 times
Reputation: 74437
The OP worked at an airport, where rules and procedures are very important.

Which OTHER rules do y'all suggest they "relax"??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 PM
 
1,923 posts, read 1,097,955 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The OP worked at an airport, where procedures are very important.

Which OTHER rules do y'all suggest they "relax"??
This is how I would handle this if I were the manager.

"Dude, I don't want to be a jerk and it may same silly, but they are strict about this stuff here. It's an airport. Please don't put me in the position of catching you again, because I'm really supposed to write you up and send you home, which I'll have to do next time even though I really don't want to. I know you probably didn't realize it was such a big deal here, so I'll let it go."

Problem is going to be solved 99% of the time in my experience. Speaking as someone that has years of experience in management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Status: "Basking in my white and height privilege" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
17,604 posts, read 8,679,162 times
Reputation: 18259
Quote:
That survey is absolute garbage. Companies do not lose money this way
Companies don't lose money due to lower productivity? Brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Status: "Basking in my white and height privilege" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
17,604 posts, read 8,679,162 times
Reputation: 18259
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
This is how I would handle this if I were the manager.

"Dude, I don't want to be a jerk and it may same silly, but they are strict about this stuff here. It's an airport. Please don't put me in the position of catching you again, because I'm really supposed to write you up and send you home, which I'll have to do next time even though I really don't want to. I know you probably didn't realize it was such a big deal here, so I'll let it go."

Problem is going to be solved 99% of the time in my experience. Speaking as someone that has years of experience in management.

Sounds professional! And I love the part about asking the employee to follow a rule when the employee was already written up.

Guess they would be firing two people given this scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 04:07 PM
 
2,303 posts, read 2,137,418 times
Reputation: 3827
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
This is how I would handle this if I were the manager.

"Dude, I don't want to be a jerk and it may same silly, but they are strict about this stuff here. It's an airport. Please don't put me in the position of catching you again, because I'm really supposed to write you up and send you home, which I'll have to do next time even though I really don't want to. I know you probably didn't realize it was such a big deal here, so I'll let it go."

Problem is going to be solved 99% of the time in my experience. Speaking as someone that has years of experience in management.
And how do you know that isn't what the first write up was about? OP has already shown that getting a write up while new to a job doesn't stop breaking of rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 04:08 PM
 
1,923 posts, read 1,097,955 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Companies don't lose money due to lower productivity? Brilliant.
I didn't say that. AKA 'strawman argument'.
I said companies don't lose money, certainly not 10 million dollars, because their employees check their cel phones every now and again. It is asinine to argue that employees cannot do their job and look at their cel phones every now and again.

But really, I think you know what I meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top