Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 03:09 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
And how do you know that isn't what the first write up was about? OP has already shown that getting a write up while new to a job doesn't stop breaking of rules.
How do you know the 1st write up wasn't for something equally as silly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 03:09 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
This is how I would handle this if I were the manager.

"Dude, I don't want to be a jerk and it may same silly, but they are strict about this stuff here. It's an airport. Please don't put me in the position of catching you again, because I'm really supposed to write you up and send you home, which I'll have to do next time even though I really don't want to. I know you probably didn't realize it was such a big deal here, so I'll let it go."

Problem is going to be solved 99% of the time in my experience. Speaking as someone that has years of experience in management.
Welcome to the 1%. OP didn't get the message when it was delivered the first time.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:11 PM

271 posts, read 427,180 times
I think more and more companies are including a "no cell phone" policy b/c people can't control themselves and are constantly checking their phones at work. Maybe in some settings it doesn't affect the work but in some, esp when dealing with the public, it most definitely does. I saw my kids' preschool teachers looking at their cells all the time. It was highly annoying and I suggested putting in a cell phone policy. I'm sure most people have breaks and lunchtime when they can check their phones.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 PM

211 posts, read 266,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Do you realize how silly this sounds? There was a poll done recently with 500 people and 50% of those surveyed said they worked in blocks of 15 minutes before checking their email, texting, and doing other things on their cell phones. Survey results showed that in companies with 1,000 employees or more, the company loses $10 million dollars a year on this.
What a bunch of bulls***! People are actually more productive when they take a lot of breaks. Also, in most settings, productivity is based on accomplishments and so long as checking your phone does not impede the pursuit of those accomplishments, what is the big deal?

Old 10-28-2014, 03:35 PM

154 posts, read 361,648 times
OP here. The first write up wasnt about the cell phone. It was about some other thing. IMO the first write up was also about something minor but it was a write up none the less

I want to add that i work for an airport in nyc, where security is very important as someone here mentioned. I work for a customer service/security type of company and we are contractors to the airport. The people that actually run the airport terminal were the ones that caught me. They then contacted the supervisors of the company I work for and let them know i had a cell phone out. That's what made this whole thing a big deal

Last edited by turner23x; 10-28-2014 at 03:45 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 03:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Speaking as someone that has years of experience in management.
Seriously????

Your reply might fly in retail management, but if that's your workaround for the airport scenario, YOU should be fired too.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,565,489 times
Put the phones away while at work, most of all.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:42 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
If you wonder why the op couldn't resist breaking policy, just look at some of the backlash whining we're seeing in some of the responses here.

It's like telling five year olds you don't want them eating their Halloween candy during all hours of the day.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:53 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23x View Post
OP here. The first write up wasnt about the cell phone. It was about some other thing. IMO the first write up was also about something minor but it was a write up none the less

I want to add that i work for an airport in nyc, where security is very important as someone here mentioned. I work for a customer service/security type of company and we are contractors to the airport. The people that actually run the airport terminal were the ones that caught me. They then contacted the supervisors of the company I work for and let them know i had a cell phone out. That's what made this whole thing a big deal
Sounds like this is a rule imposed by the airport and your company has no discretion to modify it or overlook it. Maybe they are more worried about contractors taking pictures of secure areas than texting their friends. In that case, you're gone.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:05 PM

154 posts, read 361,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sounds like this is a rule imposed by the airport and your company has no discretion to modify it or overlook it. Maybe they are more worried about contractors taking pictures of secure areas than texting their friends. In that case, you're gone.
It is an airport rule. That really wasnt clear to me before tho. This airport has a lot of different companies working there and i have seen quit a few different people from different companies using their cell (including the people that run/own the airport terminal). It just so happened that i got caught

anyway i know that im pretty much gone at this point. im trying to mentally change my mindset of being an employee and a person who has a job to a person who isn't employed and isnt going to be getting regular checks every friday and needs to start applying to jobs and go on interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment