Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:31 AM

37 posts, read 86,832 times

Advertisements

I searched for old threads discussing this and couldn't find any so I apologize if it's been done before.

Would you bring in a baby/infant to your office for an reason other than necessity? By necessity I mean lack of childcare, family emergency ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 11:35 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alottolose View Post
I searched for old threads discussing this and couldn't find any so I apologize if it's been done before.

Would you bring in a baby/infant to your office for an reason other than necessity? By necessity I mean lack of childcare, family emergency ect.
I think the answer would depend on if your work place allow you to bring your baby with you or not. Some company don't allow to have employee bringing their baby or kids with them because it will cause distraction. However, some company might even have daycare center set up for their employee. If you happen to work for an organization that has a day care center and they allow you to bring your baby, then yes. If not, I would not recommend bringing your baby with you to work.

Bringing your baby to your work place cause distraction. This will impact your work performance. Furthermore, you might even get fire for doing something wrong or not doing anything because you have to take care of your baby.

Bottom line, you want to check with your employer first, and you have to ask yourself if it will distract your work.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:36 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
No, absolutely not. I work from home and it is hard enough with teenagers to understand, my door is closed, I am working. Let alone bringing an infant in and being able to work in a professional manner.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
I took mine in to visit while on maternity leave.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:45 AM

37 posts, read 86,832 times
I'm do not have children yet and I can't see wanting to bring in a child to an office. I am perplexed by the amount of people I work with or have worked with that bring young children to the office "for fun." Especially in winter when people are sick. But then again I am not a mother yet and maybe I will see it differently after that, but I don't think so since I consider it a health issue with all the germs flying around an office.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:

Unless it was a very unusual office or business, I can not image that it would be acceptable to bring a baby/infant to work. Caring for an infant is a full time job by itself, how could an employee possible think that they could do a good job at work and take care of their child at the same time?

Perhaps, if it was a for a very short period, such as Dad drops off baby at 4:15 on his way to work and Mom's work ends at 4:30, and it was OK with the boss. But, an entire day would seem to be inappropriate. And that is not even taking into consideration of the baby catching illnesses from coworkers and customers.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I took mine in to visit while on maternity leave.
Visits are different; those are for a few minutes.

I'd have a problem if a coworker brought a baby with them to work on a regular work day. My office is already noisy and distracting enough.

And just so you guys know that I'm not singling out babies, I wouldn't want a coworker to bring a dog to work with them either. I know some places let you do that...but I just don't see how it would work. (And I do have a dog.)

Old 02-13-2015, 12:30 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
I'm do not have children yet and I can't see wanting to bring in a child to an office. I am perplexed by the amount of people I work with or have worked with that bring young children to the office "for fun." Especially in winter when people are sick. But then again I am not a mother yet and maybe I will see it differently after that, but I don't think so since I consider it a health issue with all the germs flying around an office.
I don't get that either. I would be stressed out having my kid in the office, making sure they were behaving, not disturbing anyone, doing my work... and oh yeah! Keeping the kid entertained. Who does that? Really? I haven't ever worked in an environment that people brought kids to work. I have worked in many fields.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I don't get that either. I would be stressed out having my kid in the office, making sure they were behaving, not disturbing anyone, doing my work... and oh yeah! Keeping the kid entertained. Who does that? Really? I haven't ever worked in an environment that people brought kids to work. I have worked in many fields.
My employer (a school district) has an official policy that employees children are never allowed during your usual work day except on specific identified days such as the annual, national "bring your daughter/son to work day" and then they have very clear expectations regarding the age of the child (age 9 to 12) and other responsibilities. This policy goes for everyone from teachers, to night janitors, to cooks, to recess aides, to central office staff.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-13-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 03:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Babies and work - not a good mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment