Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:52 PM

406 posts, read 559,627 times

Advertisements

I've read endless posts commenting on the difficulty of applying for jobs out of state, but I just have not had this experience.

My friends have. In fact, I had a friend use another friend's home address and a Google voice number local to the job for which he was applying to get an out of state job. When he got an interview 12 hours away and acted as if he lived there. I don't get it. Why? What's so bad or difficult about applying with the intention to relocate? I have specifically put that fact in my cover letters!

My first professional job out of undergrad had me relocate from the Midwest to New York... I didn't hide a thing. I had a long phone interview, an offer letter, a start date, and that was it.

Additionally, I'd say 90% of the recruiter emails I get in a week are out of state attempting to lure me away with relocation funds and such. So, why is it so difficult? I just don't see why an employer would balk at such a minor expense such as relocation (10-15K?). Hiring a new employee is expensive, but most hiring managers I know see it as an investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 03:03 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
It is indeed a bit harder to find a job out of state, but not impossible, if you persist. I've had plenty of phone interviews from employers hundreds or thousands of miles away. But when push comes to shove, getting there for a face to face interview is even more challenging, from my experience. Let alone getting an offer.

Bottom line: it's possible if you persist, but don't expect relocation expenses to be covered all the time. And of course, it's easier to find a job in the area you already live in.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Why would an employer pay anything to relocate someone from another state when they have plenty of qualified local candidates? Other than the highest level management, such as CEO, relocation is very rare now. Even getting an interview out of state is tough. Even with a local address, if your previous employer is in another state it will arouse suspicion, and a local PO Box is an obvious attempt to look local. Many people would in fact be serious about moving if selected, but there is no nee to take that chance and waste time going for the 2nd choice if the first is offered the job but not willing to move without relocation $.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:08 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
As an entry level candidate who has tried relocating for 7 months... why pay for an entry level candidate to move when they can get someone locally?

I hate where I live, but I know I need a 2nd job for experience and to earn money. I know my parents say, "Just quit when you're offered a job elsewhere!" But, honestly, I think with my degree and experiences I might just have to take the plunge when I have the money. I think employers are scared that a far away candidate might get cold feet and they don't move or they move, realize they don't like the new area and move again... which can be very expensive to an employer.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:14 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Local candidates are ultimately more convenient.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Who says the employer has to pay? The employer does not have to pay at all for moving costs, mine (two different companies) did not when I first got hired, and I got hired out of state for both jobs.

There are factors involved in setting the recruiting area, but that is just the recruiting area, not a limit on where they will accept applications from.

I am weary of any company that has an issue with hiring someone from out of state. It is well known the US is one of the most mobile countries in the world, and moving from state to state is not at all unusual. The only real concern in my opinion has to do with the salary, as in is someone really going to move 600 miles for a $12/hr job, well, many people will. Even Walmart will hire from out of state for its low paid retail positions.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 AM

399 posts, read 568,569 times
A 12 hour drive I suppose wouldn't be so bad, but in my case, I moved 2300 miles, which is at least a 2 1/2 - 3 days in driving or a 5 hour flight. How many times do you think you'd be able to do that, keep your current job and look for another one? Not to mention the EXPENSE in having to buy last minute plane tickets because people are looking to hire folks now, now wait until plane tickets are cheaper with a 21 day advanced purchase.

Although I started my job search when I was in my previous state, but didn't ultimately find a job until I was solidly in the new state.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:25 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,652 times
Not everyone wants to interview on skype or over the phone. For full time jobs, there are usually multiple rounds of interview. Some companies don't even want to pay for interview travel expenses let alone relocation. Certain organizations are heavily involved in local communities and colleges/universities and want to attract local talent first. Also, one of my friend who is a HR manager for a major corporation told me that the probability of an out of town person declining a job offer once everything has been finalized is too high. Or it happens all the time that out of town applicants end up having issues with salary negotiations, pending house sale, kids school, wife's illness etc

Most of the people like to stay where they are unless there is a good incentive for them to move. Most of qualified people use out of state jobs on interim period to find something back in their home state. Hence are unreliable for long term committment perspective.

Most of the employers have come to realize such people & situations over time. Many don't want to deal with it from the beginning itself.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:39 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Look at it from an employer's point of view. In addition to possible relocation expenses and logistical issues of interviewing and getting started, there is the issue of you sticking around or your background. I'd say, all else equal, it's a bit harder to check the background of someone from out of state. You're less likely to know their references, less word of mouth reputation, and some state level records aren't as accessible. You also take the risk the newcomer will grow homesick or not like their new city and want to move on or return "home".

Granted, if the best candidate is from out of state then that may outweigh those issues but unless the employer is not finding good candidates locally why would they bother with out of state candidates?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 AM

406 posts, read 559,627 times
Very valid points, and I certainly understand if there were an A and B candidate equally qualified where B is out of state, it would be much more feasible to go with A... Simply for the cost savings and lack of complexity.

Is that typically the case though? I guess it depends on the role. If employers found their ideal candidates right outside their front doors, they wouldn't need recruiters to attempt to lure candidates in from 1000 miles away.

I remember several times growing up when my mother would be scouted out by a headhunter for hospitals in a different state. They'd fly our whole family up, interview her, take us all out to dinner, etc. That being said, she was knowledgeable of a hospital system that very few candidates have a skillset in.

In my own experiences, I have only moved out of state for a job once. I did not receive (or ask for) relocation expenses; however, also was very open to moving. Only one phone interview with the hiring manager was needed prior to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment