Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:25 AM

248 posts, read 259,505 times

Advertisements

I recently got my first 9-5 job (I'm 22) and I'm feeling kinda bored and isolated. Generally I just go home at the end of the day, eat and then browse the internet or play video games for a couple hours before bed. I hang out with friends and stuff on the weekend but not so much during the week.
I guess I just need a hobby or something, it'd be nice to have one where I see other people. Currently it feels like my life just revolves around my job, and while I enjoy it I don't want it to be my primary focus in life all the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
Yes, you need a hobby. What do you like to do?

If you're athletic, join a team/league. If you are artistic take an art class. If you like to cook, take a cooking class. If you want to get in shape join a gym and take group classes (or work out alone). If you like to decorate then shop for things for your home.

Personally, I make jewelry, make soap, paint and decorate when I'm not at work. I also cook a lot out of necessity. My husband is taking Tae Kwon Do classes twice a week.

If you're single and feeling up for it, date! I did most of my dating during the week, at least for first dates.

Some other ideas:
  • Bartending classes
  • Bowling League
  • Part-time job
  • Board game group
  • Invite friends to dinner
  • Scrapbooking
  • Learn to sew
  • Learn another craft
  • Learn to fix your car
  • Go to the library
  • Make homebrew
  • Woodworking
I have way more to do outside of work than I do at work. You can do anything you enjoy.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:11 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,302,429 times
When I was young and single, I spent 3 nights a week going out to clubs with friends. Every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday (then it switched to Monday, Tuesday, Friday (then it switched to Monday, Thursday, Friday)). And on Saturdays I was going to raves all over the East Coast.

I don't know what normal people did, but from the age of 21-27 in the 1990s, that's what I did.

Good times.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,429 times
I second learning something new or doing something athletic. You could party/club but what benefit does that have? Not my scene I guess.

I usually went to the gym, played pick up basketball, volunteered somewhere, hung out with friends, but what took most of my time is playing guitar.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:56 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
When I was young and single, I spent 3 nights a week going out to clubs with friends. Every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday (then it switched to Monday, Tuesday, Friday (then it switched to Monday, Thursday, Friday)). And on Saturdays I was going to raves all over the East Coast.

I don't know what normal people did, but from the age of 21-27 in the 1990s, that's what I did.

Good times.
Haha this was me from about 20-24. It was a blast. I would get home from work at 5:30, sleep from 7-11, go out from 11-2, go to sleep from 2-5:30. Work from 7-5:30 again. Did this for about 2 years of that period.

Other than that, I got into working out a lot and did that several days a week. I just really enjoyed that.

Hobbies like playing the guitar, etc., are also fun.

If you like video games, then by all means, play video games. Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.

A lot of bars have live music with drink specials certain nights of the week. That was always a lot of fun.. Good way to see friends and meet people.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:29 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
From 22-25 or so, I partied a lot. During good weather I went for walks or occasionally jogs. And went to trivia nights at bars with friends, and went to Karaoke with friends, etc...As the mornings got harder and professional requirements steeper, I workout more, etc. Being in a new city and not knowing as many people as I knew I now will sometimes go to the mall or other store that peaks my interest just to walk around and get out of the house.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:37 PM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Going for out for dinner/drinks/social stuff can get expensive, especially drinking.

I can go to a Pacers game for $5 and park for free about a mile away. That's a cheap night of fun. Pro sports like baseball or basketball with a lot of games can be very reasonable.

I'll go out to a bar at least once a week, but I'm cutting back on that. It's hard to go eat and get a beer or two for under $20.

I'm probably going to the gym more this winter since the sun sets earlier. I went swimming and to the water this summer a lot after work.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:38 PM

248 posts, read 259,505 times
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll have to look into sports leagues and stuff like that, also enjoy going to bars so I'll try to do that more often.
Clubbing sounds fun but I dunno if I could handle going on a weeknight haha...

Old 11-06-2014, 02:40 PM

10 posts, read 14,721 times
I don't know if I ever knew anyone who couldn't find something to do that was satisfying and kept them occupied. I would absolutely love to have your kind of free time. There is an endless amount of things I would love love love to do. My brain cramps at the first inkling of thought about all the things I would do after work.

And not only things I would enjoy doing but also, all the chores that need to be done (laundry, dishes, cleaning, the list is very long).

I'm both confused and irritated by this post.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:43 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Hmm.....

It varies each day but includes:

Going to dinner with my wife and kids (usually Fri nights)
Having a cookout with our close friends (usually Sat nights)
Sometimes we go to a movie or something if we feel like it.

During the spring and fall I coach my oldest son in baseball, so that takes up 4 out of 7 evenings per week.
The other nights we clean house, sometimes I reload, sometimes I play my guitars, and sometimes I play video games with my boys.

If we happen to have a night where we aren't doing anything I will watch a little TV, or play on the internet.

Once you have a family, you rarely get a night of boredom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment