Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:48 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,974,609 times

Advertisements

I play in two bands and also write and record my own music.
Yoga.
Cooking.

That leaves some downtime with my wife and my schedule is pretty much full.

I used to play video games occasionally... the older I got the more I started feeling like that was just gonna be time I wish I had back. So I play stuff like Words With Friends or chess on my phone in the odd spare moment, but rarely engage in immersive time-devouring games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 03:27 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,591,538 times
Three nights a week I go to the dojo and practice Aikido. On my days off I am either out riding my horse or visiting a barn to trim someone else's horse's hooves. Sort of a lucrative hobby of mine. I also enjoy just staying at home and reading a good book. Sometimes I get inspired to do some painting or drawing.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
I recently got my first 9-5 job (I'm 22) and I'm feeling kinda bored and isolated. Generally I just go home at the end of the day, eat and then browse the internet or play video games for a couple hours before bed. I hang out with friends and stuff on the weekend but not so much during the week.
I guess I just need a hobby or something, it'd be nice to have one where I see other people. Currently it feels like my life just revolves around my job, and while I enjoy it I don't want it to be my primary focus in life all the time...
God, I wish I had time after work.

When I was younger, I did have more time after work. I was never at a loss for things to do. My hobby/passion always kept me occupied, I typically had friends wanting to hang out quite often, and if not, I could go to record stores and bookstores.

Now, I have to work late, I don't have time for my hobby/passion, my friends are all married with kids, and record stores and bookstores are gone.

Man, now that you brought it up, life was so much better back then. At least the after work part of it.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:53 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
It helps to pursue things you feel passionate about or even interested in.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:03 PM

122 posts, read 188,282 times
Make a list of everything you want to learn, experience or accomplish in your life and then focus on that. I was in a rut like you, but when you really start to think about all things you could be doing, you will smack yourself for wasting time playing video games. I know how it is though.

Learn scuba diving
Bike 100 miles
Run a marathon (popular one)
learn an instrument and perform in front of a live audience
paint a portrait
learn a new language
find a local organization to volunteer with
write a novel or poetry

Old 11-06-2014, 05:26 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,704 times
I used to go home every night and get drunk. Now I spend a lot of time with my church friends, going to recovery meetings on Monday, community group on Tuesdays, step study on Wednesdays, and bible study once a month on Fridays.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:37 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBluesBrother View Post
Make a list of everything you want to learn, experience or accomplish in your life and then focus on that. I was in a rut like you, but when you really start to think about all things you could be doing, you will smack yourself for wasting time playing video games. I know how it is though.

Learn scuba diving
Bike 100 miles
Run a marathon (popular one)
learn an instrument and perform in front of a live audience
paint a portrait
learn a new language
find a local organization to volunteer with
write a novel or poetry
When I found myself in a similar rut 20 years ago, I did pretty much this list. Well, a similar list, anyway. I made a list of everything I had wanted to learn or do, and just did them. So I started with martial arts again, for the first time since childhood. I also started taking art classes and music classes. I went from being a casual mountain biker into a competitive one, so I spent a lot of time training. All of a sudden, I went from having too much time to not having enough. I also applied for another degree just to see what happened, but didn't go.

It was a lot of fun.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:38 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I used to go home every night and get drunk. Now I spend a lot of time with my church friends, going to recovery meetings on Monday, community group on Tuesdays, step study on Wednesdays, and bible study once a month on Fridays.
How did you make it up for work the next day?

I mean, I used to do that too, but one or two days a week at most.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
I usually head to my shop after work and build cars. We stay there till maybe midnight and cook dinner on the grill so we don't have to cook at home.

Don

Old 11-06-2014, 08:32 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
I've always had pets, and this is one of the reasons why! Even if I have NOTHING else to do, the critters at least provide me with some companionship & entertainment - especially the dog, as he's more than happy to go for a walk, hang out at the park or beach, even just run errands with me. My snake collection keeps me busy too, as it has related activities I can do with other snake folks, while the cats are generally useless. LOL

Outside of the animals, I also play with a community orchestra 1-2 nights/week, and just do the typical stuff like housework, spending time with friends & family, internet surfing, TV, shopping, etc. I also happen to work a lot of nights & weekends, so the activities with other people rarely coincide perfectly with my time off... when you have a weird work schedule, the whole concepts of "work nights" vs "weekends" are kind of moot.

Bottom line, find a few hobbies! Obviously our personal hobbies might not appeal to you, so figure out what does make you happy, and look for opportunities to do those things both in & out of the house. And don't worry; the older you get (especially if you have children at some point), the less you'll mind being "bored" or having "too much" time on your hands.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-06-2014 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment