Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:06 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
I don't think you need to fit in, but you need to tell them who you are and your personality.

I would strongly encourage NOT changing yourself to fit in.
I've seen people say they can't be themselves. Who are they exactly that they can't be themselves? Are they Batman and have to keep it a secret?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 11:41 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I do think it's inappropriate for a coworker to ask

if you have kids
if you are married

You have to let someone bring that up on their own

Old 11-08-2014, 11:46 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
You don't have to be friends outside work, and you don't have to discuss your personal life with coworkers, but you should definitely be friendly with people.

If I encounter immature coworkers (and trust me, there are a lot) I usually just ignore them, but I'm not mean to anyone and I will give friendly conversation when the topic at hand is something I care to discuss.

I think the main difference is:

1. People that seek workplace interaction

and

2. People that do not seek workplace interaction

In either case, it's good to be friendly.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:53 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You don't have to be friends outside work, and you don't have to discuss your personal life with coworkers, but you should definitely be friendly with people.

If I encounter immature coworkers (and trust me, there are a lot) I usually just ignore them, but I'm not mean to anyone and I will give friendly conversation when the topic at hand is something I care to discuss.

I think the main difference is:

1. People that seek workplace interaction

and

2. People that do not seek workplace interaction

In either case, it's good to be friendly.

what bothers me sometimes is coworkers in other departments who will walk past you in the hallway without speaking

Old 11-08-2014, 11:58 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
what bothers me sometimes is coworkers in other departments who will walk past you in the hallway without speaking
Grow a thick skin. People have bad attitudes some days, for whatever reasons. On days like those I will simply ignore them, but again, not be mean, if and when they choose to talk I will be friendly.

If you said good morning and they do not reply then it comes off as rude, but if they are busy they will not have time to stop and chat (no issues there because sometimes it is me that has no time to talk).

Old 11-08-2014, 12:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
being friendly and cordial at work isn't the same thing as grabbing drinks after work. sounds like you don't even want to have a basic friendly relationship with your coworkers. i don't get that. if you have to spend 8 hours a day with someone, why not make the best of it and just smile and chit chat? and your reasoning about the girl and being beneath her or whatever is just too much thinking on your part. just my opinion but you sound either insecure or immature.
Exactly. And how does someone who works in retail act like this in the first place? Does the OP run and hide when customers come into the store?

How ironic they're interested in a possible romantic relationship with a new coworker, which is a big mistake, but can't just make small talk and be friendly during work hours with others.

You don't have to socialize with these people out of work, but you do have to be cordial and decent during work hours, it also makes the day go faster.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:02 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Grow a thick skin. People have bad attitudes some days, for whatever reasons. On days like those I will simply ignore them, but again, not be mean, if and when they choose to talk I will be friendly.

If you said good morning and they do not reply then it comes off as rude, but if they are busy they will not have time to stop and chat (no issues there because sometimes it is me that has no time to talk).
I always felt that you don't walk past coworkers in the hallway without speaking like you are outside on a public street. To me not only is it rude but it's kind of weird since you are all part of the same organization. Again this is about speaking not socializing in the hallway.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:07 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I always felt that you don't walk past coworkers in the hallway without speaking like you are outside on a public street. To me not only is it rude but it's kind of weird since you are all part of the same organization. Again this is about speaking not socializing in the hallway.
I've encountered this as well, and it doesn't bother me. There are people that I work with that I do not like and would never even consider hanging out with outside in the real world. In the working world, however, it is good to always be polite. I will admit that I do not always talk to people in the hall, especially if I do not know them. I will say good morning or hi, but that's about it.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
how is it rude if no words come out of the person's mouth who is accused of not speaking? makes no sense.

i work in a bldg with almost 200 psychiatric patients and i am responsible for a huge amount of paperwork. to top that off i am battling cancer and still manage to work

even without the cancer drama there is no way i am going to run myself ragged by acknowledging every person i work with. its too damn draining and i have enough on my plate without the cancer. many workers have hidden agendas and the more time you spend with some of them the more they expect from you.

ive been accused on a yearly basis of not talking to those i work with and yet when i ask for a reason why it matters to them or how it affects morale i either get no answer from them or a snot nosed look

sorry you takes care of yourself or others will takes care of you!!

selfishness rules and the selfish will win!!

Old 11-08-2014, 12:17 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
selfishness rules and the selfish will win!!
I agree to some extent. Something I just remember that occurred at work on Friday. I was in a training course with people from all over the world, people I didn't know. These people were new hires fresh out of college, and they had many immature conversations and mannerisms. I simply just ignored them when they were this way and one of them called me weird. I just laughed to myself, in the context he was correct. To him I was weird because I didn't make sexual or racist comments in a joking manner.

Good luck with your battle against cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment