Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times

Advertisements

Retail is a totally different beast when it comes to being social. You need to suck it up and try in order to be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 09:07 PM

93 posts, read 188,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Retail is a totally different beast when it comes to being social. You need to suck it up and try in order to be successful.
Nah socializing isn't a requirement at work. What's required is arriving on time and doing the work that is expected of you, which is what I do best. People asking about my personal life at work and trying to "get to know me" has nothing to do with anything.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:08 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
I do not know if it is an immaturity thing, or a generational thing, but when did people start to believe that it is okay to not have any kind of relationship with your coworkers? I was always taught from a young age that you should at least have a somewhat friendly cordial relationship with your coworkers, even the ones you do not like, as it will not only help you get ahead but will make your life easier at work. The unfriendly ones are the 1st ones that are seen as not being team players, they are passed over for promotions, and they have all their coworkers who are friends waiting for them to make a mistake as they want people they like to work with in your spot.

Not to mention who wants to go to work all day and not have some kind of interaction with their coworkers? You do not have to go out after work, but saying hello and being able to ask for help will help you long term.

Also when did we start accepting all the labeling? I have noticed the last couple of years how many people say well I am an introvert, or have adhd, or whatever other label people allow themselves to be tagged with. Who cares what your label is, the world is not going to change just for you, figure out a way to manage in the world instead of trying to force the rules to change just for you, and you will be happier long term because of it.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
Nah socializing isn't a requirement at work. What's required is arriving on time and doing the work that is expected of you, which is what I do best. People asking about my personal life at work and trying to "get to know me" has nothing to do with anything.
Good luck with that.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:19 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Being polite is one thing. Spending over an hour a day chatting with coworkers is another. Management expecting politness is great, but when the higher ups get mad that you don't sacrifice productivity for frequent water cooler talk, that is a dysfunctional workplace.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
You may work in a different retail arena than I did. Socializing is a huge part of the game.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:27 PM

93 posts, read 188,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You may work in a different retail arena than I did. Socializing is a huge part of the game.
The primary reason why I avoid socializing is people tend to ask prying questions. Like for example, one of the new coworkers I have had asked me why I'm not in college, and I told him that I simply wasn't interested, and he proceeded to tell me how it's the "right thing" to do, and how if I want to have a "house" and "luxuries" then I should go to college, and I told him to his face that I didn't give a single damn about any of that crap and that I don't need it to have a fulfilling life. People asking questions is one thing, but when they think they know what is best for you is beyond unacceptable. So that's one of the reasons why I avoid socializing. People asking me if I'm in a relationship and all this personal stuff is just unnecessary. It has nothing to do with the job and I don't care for making friends.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Part of performing a job well is fitting in and being part of a team and friendly and engaged with the others on your team (your co-workers).

If you don't do that, you aren't doing your job to its fullest.

You don't work there alone. You are part of a team. A team works when its members work together, joke with each other, form friendships of a sort (not the same as off-work friendships), helps each other out, etc. Think of it like a baseball team. You are performing together, not just hanging out. But it requires cooperation, cordiality, joking, smiling, appreciation for the others, getting to know each other.

If it weren't for the fact that you're friendly with your former co-workers, I'd think you have an anti-social personality. Maybe it's the newness of this job, that girl you are attracted to, or the newness of the co-workers. Maybe you've been hurt in your past (haven't we all?). But in any case, don't you naturally like people and enjoy their company? If not, you might be anti-social.

Believe me, unless you're an accountant in business for yourself, being anti-social will present problems in your work throughout your life. People aren't hired and kept as employees just because they do the rote things they're required to do. It's because they fit in and are part of a team.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:35 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,429,421 times
Your coworkers have lived a life, and that job is their life.

First of all, They want to know who they are working with. Are you an axe murderer ? Are you a terrorist ? They are just concerned.

Secondly they tell from personal experience, they resent not having college education.

I really don't know what's your deal, but Go to College and don't waste your time on retail unless you have to to pay for college. Learn STEM, we get to act like college kids while making good money.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,309 times
I've only had one job where I actually wanted to socialize with my coworkers. It was a small cleaning crew and they were all super chill awesome people....miss those days. But I agree most of the time I dont want to hang with the people I work with all day. I like having a work life, private life, hobbies etc. things get iffy when those start to mix (I.e. last job). However, you can deny their request and still be polite. I mean don't just totally ignore them for no reason thats just a lack of social skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment