Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 12:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times

Advertisements

Didn't read every post, but would like to know if OP:
- moved out of the house and tried to live on his own
- was given a choice to remain at home for little or no cost after school

I find that a lot of kids once they hit 18 or right out of college feel that freedom is best and put themselves in a financial hole. Since this was originally about giving advice - NOT doing that would be top in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:46 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,617,927 times
Hitch out to ND and work in the natural gas fields while you live in a man camp. Live cheap. Save your money. Pay off your debts. Move on with your life.

Stop saying but . . . but . . . but . . . but . . .

And go to a free clinic and get a prescription for antidepressants.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:57 PM

144 posts, read 185,017 times
Thanks for the tips, mate. I'm sorry to hear about you situation. There's always hope though, good luck!

Old 11-12-2014, 01:00 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Here's some hard lessons kids:
I'll amend your list a bit:

• If you have aptitude for schooling, a 4-year or Master's degree in a demanding field is worthwhile
  • Absolutely don't take out loans. Definitely pay cash for everything.
  • Never leave a paying job unless (a) there are plenty of job openings in your town; (b)you have several months savings

Quote:
P.s.-If you do find yourself with the possibility of becoming homeless this winter...just laugh because thats about all you can do.
If I could suggest something. Perhaps relocating to an area of the country where there are plenty of jobs ...

Old 11-12-2014, 01:16 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Hitch out to ND and work in the natural gas fields while you live in a man camp. Live cheap. Save your money. Pay off your debts. Move on with your life.

Stop saying but . . . but . . . but . . . but . . .

And go to a free clinic and get a prescription for antidepressants.
I hear you need connections for an oil field job but Im applying anyways. Also, I will never take anti depressants

Old 11-12-2014, 01:35 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,752,371 times
Quote:
Also, I will never take anti depressants
I'm glad you said that...

Personally, I'd rather be put down like an animal than to be prescribed medication that will modify my thoughts and prevent me from thinking clearly, no matter how down and out I get.

The pills were never meant to help you, but to help the folks who no longer want you to bother them with your "negativity."

This is all just my opinion though.

Dear Prudence: My wife’s personality has changed since going on Paxil.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:36 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,293,006 times
Quote:
I will never take anti depressants
I had a friend who felt the same way. He never got treatment and ended up living at home with his parents until they passed away when he was in his 50s.

If you are just anti-drug, you need to get over that. If you had side effects, there are many more medications to try. I personally know of people who have taken anti-depressants and they tell me it has changed their lives.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Didn't read every post, but would like to know if OP:
- moved out of the house and tried to live on his own
- was given a choice to remain at home for little or no cost after school

I find that a lot of kids once they hit 18 or right out of college feel that freedom is best and put themselves in a financial hole. Since this was originally about giving advice - NOT doing that would be top in my opinion.
I lived at home for 1 yr. after graduation. After that I moved and lived on my own for 2 years but now I'm back at square one. Also it doesn't help that I dont get along with my family.

So basically heres my options:

1. Stay here with zero job prospects, nuclear bomb sized arguments, and a dwindling credit score.

2. Move back to area I lived in for 2 years, go to the one interview I have and hope to land it...all with a handful of cash in my pocket. I would need to land the job in 7-10 days or else im on the streets in winter. (Parents already stated they cannot help me financially. ..which I figured anyways)

3. Keep applying and hope I get interviews I guess?

4. Start a life of crime since law enforcement is non existant here.

Im trying to get temp jobs and min wage jobs in area where my interview is so I have a fall back in case the full time doesnt go through. So far nada. I have 5 days to get a min wage or temp job. Keep in mind this place is 1200 miles away from where I am.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,755,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I had a friend who felt the same way. He never got treatment and ended up living at home with his parents until they passed away when he was in his 50s.

If you are just anti-drug, you need to get over that. If you had side effects, there are many more medications to try. I personally know of people who have taken anti-depressants and they tell me it has changed their lives.
I will never understand this attitude. Depression is an illness, with proven treatments. I think this is just another manifestation of why these poor guys can't get ahead in life. Ignorance, arrogance and stubbornness. Lethal combination.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post

I just dont feel I need them. True I get down often nowadays and have really no one to talk to but I try very hard to self motivate. Plus I dont want to wind up on the news for some shooting spree because of anti depressants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment