Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:19 PM

150 posts, read 173,754 times

Advertisements

It hit me today. I'm horribly depressed at work. The only thing I look forward to is the weekend. And there's no way I can continue like this for 30 years.

My life is going nowhere, America is going nowhere, the world is going nowhere. Everything is repetitive and boring. There's no fun anymore.

How did it come to this. The glory of my youth is gone, now there is just endless grey skies.

How do you people cope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 02:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
Go to therapy.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:12 PM

687 posts, read 616,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
It hit me today. I'm horribly depressed at work. The only thing I look forward to is the weekend. And there's no way I can continue like this for 30 years.

My life is going nowhere, America is going nowhere, the world is going nowhere. Everything is repetitive and boring. There's no fun anymore.

How did it come to this. The glory of my youth is gone, now there is just endless grey skies.

How do you people cope?
Find a way to change your situation, even little by little. Sometimes it takes a shift in perspective; instead of thinking "there is no way out" start thinking about what you'd rather be doing... and then set goals for making that happen that you can focus on. It doesn't matter how old you are, there is always something to do.

If there is no fun anymore, plan a vacation, even a weekend vacation. Get something going outside of work. I took up going to the gym and that helped a lot to boost my mood in the evenings. Nothing like wearing your body out to remind you how alive you are.

I felt this way for the past six months, but I'm starting to come out of it. Actually, talking about it here helped a lot.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:33 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Me...I had some underlying depression never became self aware till I worked night's two year's ago rear it's head. Then two and half year's later took another night job due to loss of job and financial crisis...the depression is starting to come back. I am more in control but still affects me.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
At the outset - I don't know you and I'm not a Dr.... I'm just someone that wants to help and I've felt the way you have in the past and I'm suggesting things that worked for me. Barring other physical issues, there is likely a chemical imbalance in your brain that is making you feel so negative/depressed... but wait, I'm not suggesting what you think; the imbalance can potentially be fixed with a change in your diet and some high intensity exercise. Remove gluten/bread/pasta/refined food/alcohol/caffeine/soft-drinks/corn-syrup and all dairy products, greatly reduce sugar, and replace all that with lots of produce and nuts/seeds (organic if you can afford it) and fresh home-cooked grass fed meat. Drink lots of water and also get a steady amount of uninterrupted sleep each night. Supplement with some products including B-complex vitamins and nootropics (Alpha Brain) and Corticeps mushrooms (ShroomTech Sport). The supplements will help you get over the lack of energy/positivity hump as your mental chemistry rebalances due to the major dietary changes. The high intensity exercise will help your body's circulation and increase the effectiveness of your new diet (among other positive things).

Something that isn't talked about in the mainstream but which science has already proven is that many neurotransmitters are in fact produced in the gut (outside the brain)... and your diet has an incredible influence as such on how you think and feel since some of them directly impact your level of "well being" and "mental clarity."

Once you find yourself thinking more clearly having done these things (it will take about a week or so depending upon your metabolism), then you will be much better equipped to see what the real issues are in your life and to enact change.

There's so much more I could write, but I think you get the gist of what I've shared and for whatever it's worth my prayers are with you.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Quote:

How do you people cope?
Who says you have to continue like that for 30 years? Make vacation plans. Daydream. Try to enjoy your life outside of work. Have you thought about looking for a job in another city? Maybe a change of scenery would help. Any event, I'm sure there is no fence around your place of employment.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
I think you need to get out more, experience new things and get motivated. I would suggest doing more of the unusual and getting to meet new people. Depression is never a good thing and your outlook on life is too basic, do you want to be basic?

Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:

How do you people cope?

I make my own fun. I'm not kidding. We get a lot done in my department, but I make sure everyone is having fun doing the work. I'd go nuts if I didn't take a playful approach in getting the work done, and I find people perform better if they feel less stressed, more relaxed and share some laughs with the people they're in the trenches with.

You sound depressed about more than work. Maybe something to look into with therapy or medication. Nobody should suffer like this.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I empathize. I am depressed. I hate my job, but I have to hang out until they pay me my commission. I may have to take them to the labor board/court.

I had a friend tell me as long as I work for this shiate company they won't give me any leads, and I just had a major company tell me they used to business with us but we were so bad won't touch us.

I used to put out 110% now 70% going to 60% soon.

I hope some HM read this, because this is what happens when you screw over good employees and lie to them, they will find a way to F*ck you over as well. Karma.

I cope by surfing CD now on the job. I cope by looking ahead to early spring when I can dump this turd.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
No because I make sure I carefully examine any job ad I come across so I can make sure I am applying to the right job. For example, I knew that it was two things I didn't want my next job to be when I was seeking work, "No Public Speaking and No Traveling"

My current job does not involve either and I love it. It all comes down to knowing what you DON"T WANT when seeking a job so that you won't be depressed. Never understood the mentality to randomly apply to any job just so you can say Im working
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment