Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 AM

101 posts, read 141,140 times

Advertisements

So far it's only been one day he smelled, right? He went through hiring and the first day with you without smelling, and the day he met the customer he smelled. Maybe he stepped in crap, or a dead animal. Does he smell today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 08:15 AM

109 posts, read 554,801 times
I've had a few people smelling bad and obviously not showering enough. One of them, a girl, was under stress and depressed, so her smell varied from day to day depending on how successfully she battled her issues. I would never mention that to her since she had enough dealing with. Other people were just stinky since they either didn't know to shower enough or rarely washed their clothes (especially sweaters in winter). I never had courage and it wasn't my place to tell them anything, but I avoided them as much as I could, and I am sure they noticed that. Some people can be really clueless and dense though. I have no problem telling my spouse or children to go take a shower which thankfully is not often and they only skip it when dead tired, but all other people just make me suffer in silence. As a manager though I fear you would have to mention something to that employee if it repels customers, especially if it's a really bad breath, this is the killer.
I am usually a very clean person who showers twice daily. One time at school I suddenly found myself terribly stinking. I think I probably stepped into a skunk or something it was that bad, not a body odor but some horrible stench I never had before. It doesn't help that I am very sensitive to smells. No-one mentioned it to me, but I could tell they knew. I was extremely embarrassed as it was, and if someone had said something, it would have been absolutely devastating to me at that time. But it was a one time occurrence only and never happened again. Still don't know what that was.
Wishing you courage to tackle this delicate matter if the stinky business continues.

Last edited by ukrworld; 11-20-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 08:23 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
In theory but good luck with that. We had complaints on an employee who really over did the perfume, called HR and they threw it right back on me saying oh yes we realize that can be a difficult conversation, good luck.

Most HR depts. are totally worthless.
So are managers if they're passing the buck and expecting another department to do the heavy lifting every time something is difficult.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Some people don't know (which I think is crazy). I had a friend who would ride his bike to work every day. Yes, sweaty stinky sit and work. I mentioned it to him and he had no idea. Yup. It happens.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:46 AM

159 posts, read 177,373 times
Just tell him that he smells and be over with it. This whole " don't want to hurt someone's feelings" thing has gone too far. You're a professional, carry yourself like one.

Someone on here said something about mentioning that it may be a medical condition. Do not say that. That will get you in trouble.

As a manager myself I would say " I've had some concerns about the smell that you are bringing into the office and wanted to make sure you were aware of it." Done and Done. The rest of it is up to that person.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:50 AM

399 posts, read 568,569 times
There are a few smokers in my office. A couple of them REALLY smell of cigarette smoke all the time, especially when they come back from breaks. One in particular, NEVER smells like cigarette smoke, but I know she smokes.

For those people who smell like smoke? I ask them not to come in my office because the smell irritates me and makes it hard for me to breathe. They all comply. If they have something to say, they stand at my office door.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:48 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Ugh...nothing worse than a stinky co-worker. Polite but direct confrontation is the best way to handle it. If the employee comes in again smelly, it needs to be addressed. Touchy situation, but necessary.

"I'm not sure if it is hygiene issue or maybe something in your clothes, but there is an odor coming from you that several people have complained about. Please make sure you bathe regularly and wear clean clothes to work".

Once it's done, it is up to the employee to rectify the situation. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:57 AM

245 posts, read 382,520 times
As a person who sweats alot and only bathes every other day, since i'm not employed it's not bothering anyone. When i was working as a machinist a female co-worker snuck up behind me and sprayed me with a fragrance. I was not emberrassed because I knew i tend to sweat alot and that causes a stink. And I'm not the kind of person that wears cologne. So maybe your co-worker doesn't know he has BO, but chances are he already does know but thinks it's a non-issue and it shouldn't bother anyone. In your case what i would do is get a spray air freshener and spray it around the office.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM

148 posts, read 183,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
There are a few smokers in my office. A couple of them REALLY smell of cigarette smoke all the time, especially when they come back from breaks. One in particular, NEVER smells like cigarette smoke, but I know she smokes.

For those people who smell like smoke? I ask them not to come in my office because the smell irritates me and makes it hard for me to breathe. They all comply. If they have something to say, they stand at my office door.
Smokers don't realize just how far that smell goes. Plus its not just smell but a little passive smoking.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:24 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
As a manager, i have had to do this on several occasions over my career. All you can do is politely and professionally explain that he needed to bath more frequently and consider the use of deodorant. they always say they have never been told anything like this before and are positive they don't smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment