Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you regularly use profanity at work?
I use profanity so others can hear me 14 7.18%
I use profanity in small groups of coworkers 59 30.26%
I use profanity under my breath 36 18.46%
I abstain from using profanity 86 44.10%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 06:36 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times

Advertisements

You won't hear it in the front office at my company and you won't hear me using it in front of the employees because I am there to set the example.

Anyone who says that swearing doesn't happen in the workplace has never worked in manufacturing

I refrain from dropping the f-bomb but have been known to swear around co-workers from time to time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 07:42 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Depends on the corporate culture.

I work at a hospital system in a conservative area. People will occasionally slip up, but it is frowned upon and not a part of how things operate here.

I used to work at a tech company that made a product for the investment banking industry. F-bombs were very commonplace there.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:36 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
It’s rampant here...I try not to do it but every meeting has some degree of it. But I’m also at the intersection of healthcare and IT which are high swearing fields (when you’re not around a patient, of course). It no longer phases me but I do it so rarely that coworkers always apologize for it to me.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:55 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
I abstain 99% of the time. I infrequently slip up and use profanity under my breath 1% of the time. I guess it depends on the environment, but I work in an office and not a sport's bar. I am expected to act 'business' or 'professional' and I make a good effort to do so. There are people in my office that can get away with it, but I know I'm not one of them, and its not a good habit to get into generally speaking.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:11 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
When I worked in a dental office, I abstained 98% of the time. If I was alone with coworker-friends in the break room or something, then I might let one slip out... but in front of patients, never.

Now I own my own business and I'd never use profanity with clients. When I'm working and clients can't hear me? Yes, sometimes I will swear. Some projects are frustrating and some clients are pains in the you-know-what.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
We don't generally use profanity (maybe a "damned" or the like) around our patrons, but in the back offices or staff meetings, sure - and my supervisor is the worst offender! Every time a new employee joins us, one of the first things she'll ask is "do you find the "f-word" offensive?" Thankfully none of them have said yes, or her tongue would end up bleeding from biting it every day.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:35 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
I'm noticing more f-bombs and s-bombs in the workplace lately.....and while I couldn't say I'm offended (I was in the Army for almost six years, I can come up with stuff that makes these folk look like amateurs), I do find myself looking at them and thinking, "That's really not appropriate for this setting."

I guess I look on it as there's several times/places that as much as I swear on a regular basis, I'd refrain from. Work is one that comes to mind, in the presence of small children is another.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
we all swear like sailors at the workplace but after all, we are sailors...%$#&@*^!

Old 08-04-2020, 07:20 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
My workplace is largely middle-of-the-road. Nobody drops F-bombs and S-bombs left and right, but we're far from prim and proper. Words like "crap", "hell", and "damn" are tolerated. George Carlin's Seven Words are not.

Recently, I dropped an F-bomb when I stubbed my toe pretty bad; I was carrying a big box, and didn't see what was under my feet. My boss shouted across the room "I heard that!", but didn't write me up. I explained to him that I stubbed my toe, and he said OK. It'd probably be different if I were talking to someone, and dropped an F-bomb mid-sentence for no good reason, or worse, actually directed it at a person.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:28 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Reminds me when I chatted with a CSR at my company. The clients cuss them out all the time, but the CSR can't do anything but take it. This is why it takes a special person to be a CSR.....the abuse is incredible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment