Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:41 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,588,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Consumers have been demanding the deals earlier and earlier every year. It's now bled to starting today.
Unfortunately, this is true. If no customers showed up on Thanksgiving, what would be the point of being open. But they'll show up.

Why not just declare Wednesday "Black Wednesday", give them all the deals they want, and then close on Thanksgiving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 08:43 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,588,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Black Friday is a day everyone works in retail, period. If you are a long term employee sometimes they will be flexible who works Black Friday, who works Christmas Eve etc. This is the norm, if you don't want to work it, someone else will.
Yes it's a given. But the OP's post had to do with firing workers who didn't want to work on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:53 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,338,095 times
For a lot of Americans, holidays are just another day at work. And yes, your employer can fire you for not coming to work.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Yes it's a given. But the OP's post had to do with firing workers who didn't want to work on Thanksgiving.
Same principle.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,660,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I see your point but nobody is forced to work retail. Thousands upon thousands of businesses close on holidays (and weekends) so work for one of them if working holidays and weekends doesn't appeal to you.
I see a lot of people who have been forced to work retail since they cannot get a job in their field. Particularly during the holidays. They aren't complaining about having to work, and are grateful to have a job.

I just think it's wrong that companies make decisions based on bucks. Consumers are always going to go after the deal - so if they went back to opening at 7am on Friday, that's when the consumers would show and that would be the end of it. The notion that they had to open on Thanksgiving Day began with one store trying to get the edge on the others, and then most retailers following. It had nothing to do with consumer demands.

By the way, I do have a child who has to work on Thanksgiving, and possibly Christmas, which I understand. Markets in other countries aren't closed. I get it. Stores? No need, really, other than greed at the corporate level.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:06 AM

130 posts, read 163,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
But since when is Thanksgiving a major shopping day?? Black Friday, sure, but not the holiday itself.
When companies started opening on Thanksgiving, and we the shoppers started shopping on Thanksgiving.

If we don't want them to be open on Thanksgiving, then it's easy—we simply need to stop shopping on Thanksgiving. If no one came in on Turkey Day, then they wouldn't open. Simple supply-and-demand economics.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,621,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I see a lot of people who have been forced to work retail since they cannot get a job in their field. Particularly during the holidays. They aren't complaining about having to work, and are grateful to have a job.

I just think it's wrong that companies make decisions based on bucks. Consumers are always going to go after the deal - so if they went back to opening at 7am on Friday, that's when the consumers would show and that would be the end of it. The notion that they had to open on Thanksgiving Day began with one store trying to get the edge on the others, and then most retailers following. It had nothing to do with consumer demands.

By the way, I do have a child who has to work on Thanksgiving, and possibly Christmas, which I understand. Markets in other countries aren't closed. I get it. Stores? No need, really, other than greed at the corporate level.
Companies are in business to make money. If the customers want a store to be open for some reason on Thanksgiving, then most business have to try to meet that need. For example, I typically have to drive a fair distance to be with family on Thanksgiving and want at least a few gas stations open.

The problem here is the people who want to shop in retail stores on Thanksgiving. If no one showed up, than retail could stay closed on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,660,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Companies are in business to make money. If the customers want a store to be open for some reason on Thanksgiving, then most business have to try to meet that need. For example, I typically have to drive a fair distance to be with family on Thanksgiving and want at least a few gas stations open.

The problem here is the people who want to shop in retail stores on Thanksgiving. If no one showed up, than retail could stay closed on Thanksgiving.
That's more of the retail corporate Kool-Aid. That the consumers drove the decision, which isn't true. They're just after the deals. The ones I know that do go after the deals, have complained that their day is being broken up early so they can try to buy things they might not otherwise be able to get. They're only there because the retailers made the decision to open - not because they demanded the store to be open on Thanksgiving. They don't like it either, but don't want to miss out on getting items that are limited.

Gas stations I put in another category.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM

130 posts, read 163,914 times
Here's a handy chart to guide your holiday shopping, if you want to give your money to companies choosing to remain closed on Thanksgiving:

Where To Shop To Support Workers This Black Friday | ThinkProgress

Old 11-23-2014, 09:16 AM

15,076 posts, read 10,138,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Companies are in business to make money. If the customers want a store to be open for some reason on Thanksgiving, then most business have to try to meet that need.
Yup.. people today are sheep to consumerism.

Oh well..

I personally want a "refund" on my Holidays... I'd rather have those days added to my PTO to be taken when I want to. (Not bad enough to go back to retail or service type work though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment