Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:24 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So what was so nightmarish about working at Walmart that three nights was your limit?
Just shopping at Walmart is nightmarish for me. I wouldn't have had to ask that question at all. Ours is seedy, full of white trash and welfare queens, and I don't think many of the employees even speak English. Walked out holding my purse tightly and never went back. Work there? I shudder to consider my life so bad I would have to sink that low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Just shopping at Walmart is nightmarish for me. I wouldn't have had to ask that question at all. Ours is seedy, full of white trash and welfare queens, and I don't think many of the employees even speak English. Walked out holding my purse tightly and never went back. Work there? I shudder to consider my life so bad I would have to sink that low.
This.
As far as "sinking that low," however, keep in mind that there are times when some could use an extra few hundred bucks a week, and WalMart was just one of those places where getting a job was that easy. If ever I fall into that situation again, however, I think I'll just consider working a call center for a few weeks instead.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
To answer the question, about six weeks. It was many, many years ago and I was selling vacuum cleaners. Not a job I would have thought to choose but it was during one of those recessions where finding a good long term position was difficult. I actually enjoyed it for the most part, really liked the product, and it turned out that I was also very good at it and made really good $$s - until first one pay cheque bounced followed by another a couple of weeks later. First time possibly a one-time glitch, the second not so much. In any case, I'd already interviewed for a really good job which I strongly felt I was going to be offered (and I was) so quit.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I worked at a crappy start-up for 7 months. I knew after the first week that this company was dysfunctional, but stayed on anyway. Should have trusted my gut and left after the first week.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:08 AM

917 posts, read 1,384,103 times
I worked at Victoria Secret for a day for Black Friday and that following Saturday. Talk about hell. Customers were rude & the pay was horrible and it took them over 3 months to pay me. (Granted it was only 2 days but back then ANYTHING helped). Someone in HR mistyped my address TWICE.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I worked at Victoria Secret for a day for Black Friday and that following Saturday. Talk about hell. Customers were rude & the pay was horrible and it took them over 3 months to pay me. (Granted it was only 2 days but back then ANYTHING helped). Someone in HR mistyped my address TWICE.
Took Racetrac about 3 months to send me my pay. Headquarters in GA couldn't understand why I was so persistent in asking for my $28 check. $28 is $28. I was there for 4 hours. I earned it. LOL

Old 12-18-2014, 09:13 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Does it count that I resigned the day before I was supposed to join? I was offered a much better position, though a very tough one, that helped me change my work profile. I accepted the alternate offer with a rival company (though it paid less and offered a lower title) and informed the prior company I wouldn't join them the next day. They were very upset. Asked me to reconsider but I had already reconsidered it a thousand times before I called them.

Looking back, I think I made the right choice. The exposure I got in the other job was phenomenal! I got a significant raise the next year and a promotion soon. I had to work 12 hours a day for 8 months to learn the new job (as opposed to the other job which would have been very easy) but it was time well spent.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:05 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,804 times
Last week worked 5 hours and quit. Somehow made $82. Pay was $9.50/hour.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:33 AM

238 posts, read 315,695 times
Back in college, I worked at a pizza joint. Started on a Saturday night for three hours, couldn't operate the register, couldn't pour the beer, and messed up a phone-in order. The next shift, I think I worked two hours, and after another dismal night, I wasn't scheduled until the following week for ONE hour. I never went back.

Worked for Toys R Us for a second income during Christmas season for two days back in 1997. I was in the midst of a settlement, and received the insurance check after my second day of work, and promptly quit.

Another college job. Was a bell ringer for the Salvation Army. Didn't like standing out in the cold for four hours straight, and quit after 3 days of work.

Stayed a week for a telemarketing job (during the holidays as well) because I didn't meet the quota. I'm not a salesperson. This was at the same time when I got the bell ringer job.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:50 AM

194 posts, read 148,808 times
Less than a week. When you leave, I find it best to simply walk out or not show up one day, if you don't have direct deposit make sure they have your current address, or you can walk in to pick your final check up from them directly. If possible, formally tell them you've quit via email and keep a record so they can't say that you never told them you were quitting or that they didn't have your current address. Look up the labor laws in your state to ensure you're getting your final check in a timely manner per your state's laws. Many employers won't pay you on time because they assume that you're ignorant of the law and that you won't report them to your local labor department
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment