Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:09 PM

518 posts, read 872,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
This is the part that I hate most about working in an office, how obvious it is that everyone is acting fake. When I enter the room, I get a robotic "good morning" from five or six different people immediately, sometimes followed by a robotic "how was your weekend?". Then there are the "jokes" that aren't funny at all followed by the obligatory laughing. This one guy goes "Ha-ha-ha" whenever the boss says pretty much anything. Then when the boss leaves the room, he bashes him. Please. Also, there's one guy who has his head so far up the boss's ass it isn't funny. Every single day he goes out to eat lunch with the boss, EVERY day, just the two of them. He is also the boss's football and basketball buddy. They talk about sports together all the time instead of working. It's that kind of garbage that makes me loathe the office environment.
Bingo. The jokes are the worst huh LOL. You can be nice, friendly, and positive without being so fake. Or go halfway-be fake with clients-but just genuinely nice/friendly with co-workers .

I think a lot of these people have become so entrenched in the office politics/fakeness that they don't know any better. It's like they have been programmed to be fake... like an office survival mechanism.
I actually liked my co-workers when I could get them talking in private sorta one-one-one when they felt more comfortable letting go of the office fake-nice schtick. But get these people together-in a room-with the boss present-and BOOM the fakeness is nauseating. The times I've had lunch alone they're normal likeable people. But together at work it's like they can't help being not fake.

I'm wondering if this office fakeness ploy is an American thing... or it's like that in offices in other 1st world countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 09:12 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Hey at least you're getting paid well and are working toward something. Contrary to your typical under-paid office worker who is just getting enough to survive-but not really getting anywhere. Retirement is far off in the horizon-if it comes at all.

It's unfortunate, in general, how much of our life is spent at work- doing something we don't enjoy. 40 hours a week is a lonnnggg time I don't care how easy or hard the job is.
I couldn't handle my job if I wasn't well paid. Heck, if I won even $1 million I would quit immediately. It wouldn't take multi-millions for me to leave. My husband thinks we can retire when we're around 50. I hope he is right but in my gut I know he's wrong. If we have even one child and want to be able to pay for college it is going to put off retirement. I guess time will tell.

I'm ready to retire right now though. I made a pendant tonight for the first time in months and I remember what it's like to achieve that feeling of flow where you're totally immersed in an activity. It's awesome. I wish making jewelry was my full time job...

Old 12-22-2014, 09:12 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,861 times
Yeah, wtf IS a ''rocket surgeon''? Lol

Old 12-22-2014, 09:16 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
Quote:
Bingo. The jokes are the worst huh LOL. You can be nice, friendly, and positive without being so fake. Or go halfway-be fake with clients-but just genuinely nice/friendly with co-workers .

I think a lot of these people have become so entrenched in the office politics/fakeness that they don't know any better. It's like they have been programmed to be fake... like an office survival mechanism.
I actually liked my co-workers when I could get them talking in private sorta one-one-one when they felt more comfortable letting go of the office fake-nice schtick. But get these people together-in a room-with the boss present-and BOOM the fakeness is nauseating. The times I've had lunch alone they're normal likeable people. But together at work it's like they can't help being not fake.

I'm wondering if this office fakeness ploy is an American thing... or it's like that in offices in other 1st world countries.
I totally agree about the fakeness. I am not fake at work unless I absolutely have to be and I think it shocks people. But, oh well. Why should I pretend like the Employee Retirement Income Security Act is the most exciting thing I've ever read? It's boring and everyone knows it! I hate that I can't just say that to my boss, but I'll say it to pretty much anyone else.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I totally agree about the fakeness. I am not fake at work unless I absolutely have to be and I think it shocks people. But, oh well. Why should I pretend like the Employee Retirement Income Security Act is the most exciting thing I've ever read? It's boring and everyone knows it! I hate that I can't just say that to my boss, but I'll say it to pretty much anyone else.
Yeah sometimes you have to be super fake on purpose. Have to play the game. You don't want to risk getting labeled as boring, negative, a downer, unenthusiastic etc. But the key is doing just enough of that as needed.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:10 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Your Admin Asst, Data Entry etc. I worked in one for over a year. Friendly co-workers and boss but......

-The repetitiveness from day to day felt soul crushing. Stuck in a small stuffy office....watching the clock... praying for 5 o'clock. How people do this crap for years amazes me.

-The over-the-top fake-nice displayed towards clients and at meetings etc. Co-workers tone in voice became "softer" when speaking to the boss. I hear this is a trend for office jobs... the fakeness... it's just ridiculous.

This job was a better set-up then most office jobs, I'm sure. Yet, it still felt like a pathetic and sad way to spend so many hours of my life. Yet, right this moment, this is the kind of job a large chunk of the American workforce is doing. It makes me sad just thinking about it... sad what people have to do to make a living. Sad that we, as a country, have to give up so much time in our lives to work jobs like this. Never again for me.
I have had an office job for many many years now. 3 or 4 different employers, but same position. Nothing has ever been "soul crushing". Maybe your position is much less rewarding than mine, or others. I don't "watch the clock or pray for 5 o'clock". I am too busy to do that.

We have no "over-the-top fake-nice" attitudes. We are honest and we communicate with each other respectfully. As for the "softer tone"? No idea what you are talking about there.

I love my job, I have loved each one, and the people I work with are almost like family. I make a damn fine salary too. It sounds like you have an awful job. But everyone is not you. Don't assume that because you got a crappy job, that everyone else feels the same about their job.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
What a silly way to feel. I imagine that your boss already knows that. The fact that you think you "can't just say that" is simply a testament to your immaturity.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:44 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
Sitting at a desk in an A/C office browsing facebook while making a high wage is the ultimate goal of most people. Would you rather do hard labor in 90 degree heat for near minimum wage?

Old 12-23-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Sitting at a desk in an A/C office browsing facebook while making a high wage is the ultimate goal of most people. Would you rather do hard labor in 90 degree heat for near minimum wage?
Wasn't a high wage (was decent though), no facebook (computer was visible for all to see, open office), and they cranked the AC up so high I was practically freezing half the time.

Better than hard labor, sure, but that's a low bar.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:30 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
You build a life when you are off work. Hobbies, time with family, friends, a pet, donate your time at a nonprofit, write, read, etc.

You work because you want to have a life. Your work is NOT your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment