Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 04:38 PM

518 posts, read 872,580 times

Advertisements

Your Admin Asst, Data Entry etc. I worked in one for over a year. Friendly co-workers and boss but......

-The repetitiveness from day to day felt soul crushing. Stuck in a small stuffy office....watching the clock... praying for 5 o'clock. How people do this crap for years amazes me.

-The over-the-top fake-nice displayed towards clients and at meetings etc. Co-workers tone in voice became "softer" when speaking to the boss. I hear this is a trend for office jobs... the fakeness... it's just ridiculous.

This job was a better set-up then most office jobs, I'm sure. Yet, it still felt like a pathetic and sad way to spend so many hours of my life. Yet, right this moment, this is the kind of job a large chunk of the American workforce is doing. It makes me sad just thinking about it... sad what people have to do to make a living. Sad that we, as a country, have to give up so much time in our lives to work jobs like this. Never again for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 04:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Questions like this can only be asked when you assume everyone is just like you, and that's not the case.

To point out the obvious - what's going to make you happy may not work for me. Everyone is different.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:53 PM

244 posts, read 667,889 times
I've worked in Admin positions for years and never found it "soul crushing". It all depends on your personality. And I don't have a fake-nice tone of voice. I just happen to be a nice person and that is the tone I use.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:31 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,861 times
I hear ya, OP. I did a job like that and I swear my health declined within 3 months. Great co-workers, interesting work, but that sitting was the worst part. And under flourescent lights in a cubical to boot.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:36 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,422 times
Not everyone is destined to be a rocket surgeon, regardless of how much their self esteem was inflated when they were in school. People do what they have to do to make a living, support their family, achieve other goals not related to their day job, and for many other reasons, all of which are perfectly valid. Expressing contempt for people who succeed in a job you do not find "fulfilling" says more about you than about them.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:39 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,390,367 times
You build a life when you are off work. Hobbies, time with family, friends, a pet, donate your time at a nonprofit, write, read, etc.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:43 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Not everyone is destined to be a rocket surgeon, regardless of how much their self esteem was inflated when they were in school.
And not everyone WANTS to be a rocket surgeon. A lot of people prefer nice, simple jobs which require a basic set of tasks to be performed competently, and which allow them to have a life outside of work. And there's nothing wrong with that preference.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:18 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Your Admin Asst, Data Entry etc. I worked in one for over a year. Friendly co-workers and boss but......

-The repetitiveness from day to day felt soul crushing. Stuck in a small stuffy office....watching the clock... praying for 5 o'clock. How people do this crap for years amazes me.

-The over-the-top fake-nice displayed towards clients and at meetings etc. Co-workers tone in voice became "softer" when speaking to the boss. I hear this is a trend for office jobs... the fakeness... it's just ridiculous.

This job was a better set-up then most office jobs, I'm sure. Yet, it still felt like a pathetic and sad way to spend so many hours of my life. Yet, right this moment, this is the kind of job a large chunk of the American workforce is doing. It makes me sad just thinking about it... sad what people have to do to make a living. Sad that we, as a country, have to give up so much time in our lives to work jobs like this. Never again for me.
It's been a lot of years but I enjoyed working in an office. I had an interesting and always busy job so time didn't crawl and my office wasn't so small I felt closed in. I would go back to an office if I could make the same money I do now and be guaranteed raises like I am now. AND have all the bennies and bonuses I do now. Fat chance of that!

Come work with me a year! You want to talk about repetitive! I'm a cashier. You'd love it.

I guess I don't know any "fake" people at work. We are all just "us", including our managers. We all get along, work well together and even like each other. And it's a HUGE store so we do have employees that we don't even know but I doubt they are "fake" either. Talking to managers we talk like we do with each other. No big deal. Nobody is a butt kisser. Unless it's someone I don't know.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:18 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,744 times
You hit the nail on the head. Some people are content with a basic lifestyle working 9-5 paying bills having kids ect. Then you have people who love to work on or at their business 70/hrs+ a week. We all have choices, and many make decisions that barley allow them to scrape by.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:26 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,537,926 times
I did it for 23 years at 2 different employers. Same basic duties everyday at each job. I've been working from home for almost 10 years now because those jobs aren't paying enough where I now live and there aren't enough jobs to go around for all those looking for that type of work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment