Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:28 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times

Advertisements

They are close buddies with the "powers that be?" The people that I have seen that have been in the workplace for 30-40 years have been licking the backside of the dictator for DECADES and don't challenge their power.

I notice that they are in the main boss' office EACH DAY making small talk and talking to them about their weekend or day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
This is a little like saying you don't understand why so many people eat steak when they could be having seafood. You feel so sad for them. Silly.

I think the people who are most miserable, are probably just miserable people. Nothing is going to change that no matter what their setting is.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
More lucrative than multilevel marketing, less physically demanding than construction, more comfortable than a laundry, quieter than a factory. Office jobs aren't that bad.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
I actually understand how the OP feels because I often ask myself how I'm going to handle 30 more years of this nonsense. I have a skilled office position; it's repetitive in some aspects but quite intense and complicated at the same time. I'll be honest, I hate it. It's not interesting, fun or really even all that challenging (for me). But, that's why it pays so well.

I stay because I like the money. I use the money to fund my hobbies, help out friends and family, and live a life outside work that I enjoy a great deal. I won't lie, I dream about retirement every single day I go into work, but I don't know of any other way to make as much money in less time or in a more enjoyable manner.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 PM

518 posts, read 872,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Questions like this can only be asked when you assume everyone is just like you, and that's not the case.

To point out the obvious - what's going to make you happy may not work for me. Everyone is different.
That's a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I hear ya, OP. I did a job like that and I swear my health declined within 3 months. Great co-workers, interesting work, but that sitting was the worst part. And under flourescent lights in a cubical to boot.
Great co-workers helped a lot. But as you said, sitting all-day is no good. It's unnatural for humans to sit in a chair all-day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
You build a life when you are off work. Hobbies, time with family, friends, a pet, donate your time at a nonprofit, write, read, etc.
Yes, but 40 hours a week at a job like this it felt like much of my life was passing me bye. All for a meager paycheck... building towards nothing. As a relatively young person (in my late 20's now) it didn't seem fulfilling. It would be a beautiful day and I'd take my eyes off the computer and glance out the window (see people walking by...) and just wish I could escape. I'm sure others can relate to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I did it for 23 years at 2 different employers. Same basic duties everyday at each job. I've been working from home for almost 10 years now because those jobs aren't paying enough where I now live and there aren't enough jobs to go around for all those looking for that type of work here.
Exactly they don't pay enough either. And with so many people desperate and out of work, these 'basic office jobs' will continue to see depressed wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
They are close buddies with the "powers that be?" The people that I have seen that have been in the workplace for 30-40 years have been licking the backside of the dictator for DECADES and don't challenge their power.

I notice that they are in the main boss' office EACH DAY making small talk and talking to them about their weekend or day
I noticed this too. Most know they are easily replaceable and thus resort to butt licking. I worked in a very small office (only like 5 full-time employees) and there was still a fair amount of gossip behind the scenes. I think everyone liked each-other, but would never miss an opportunity to pump-up "all the work they do" versus others.

I think the whole workplace environment/culture isn't very healthy for many Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
More lucrative than multilevel marketing, less physically demanding than construction, more comfortable than a laundry, quieter than a factory. Office jobs aren't that bad.
Yeah it's better then those jobs but they all suck IMO. I saw no personal satisfaction from this office job... just a grind to make it to 5 o'clock. Go home. Watch TV. Sleep. Rinse and repeat.
Also, at this job I worked sorta "behind the scenes" and had limited interaction with clients. Perhaps if there was more social interaction it may have been slightly more tolerable.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I actually understand how the OP feels because I often ask myself how I'm going to handle 30 more years of this nonsense. I have a skilled office position; it's repetitive in some aspects but quite intense and complicated at the same time. I'll be honest, I hate it. It's not interesting, fun or really even all that challenging (for me). But, that's why it pays so well.

I stay because I like the money. I use the money to fund my hobbies, help out friends and family, and live a life outside work that I enjoy a great deal. I won't lie, I dream about retirement every single day I go into work, but I don't know of any other way to make as much money in less time or in a more enjoyable manner.
Hey at least you're getting paid well and are working toward something. Contrary to your typical under-paid office worker who is just getting enough to survive-but not really getting anywhere. Retirement is far off in the horizon-if it comes at all.

It's unfortunate, in general, how much of our life is spent at work- doing something we don't enjoy. 40 hours a week is a lonnnggg time I don't care how easy or hard the job is.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:31 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,847,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post

-The over-the-top fake-nice displayed towards clients and at meetings etc. Co-workers tone in voice became "softer" when speaking to the boss. I hear this is a trend for office jobs... the fakeness... it's just ridiculous.
This is the part that I hate most about working in an office, how obvious it is that everyone is acting fake. When I enter the room, I get a robotic "good morning" from five or six different people immediately, sometimes followed by a robotic "how was your weekend?". Then there are the "jokes" that aren't funny at all followed by the obligatory laughing. This one guy goes "Ha-ha-ha" whenever the boss says pretty much anything. Then when the boss leaves the room, he bashes him. Please. Also, there's one guy who has his head so far up the boss's ass it isn't funny. Every single day he goes out to eat lunch with the boss, EVERY day, just the two of them. He is also the boss's football and basketball buddy. They talk about sports together all the time instead of working. It's that kind of garbage that makes me loathe the office environment.

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 12-22-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 08:47 PM

49 posts, read 72,455 times
Quote:
And not everyone WANTS to be a rocket surgeon.
...wtf is a rocket surgeon?

At least basic office jobs give you a structured, daytime schedule, unlike crazy retail jobs. You can use basic office jobs as a means to end, make lateral switches between different companies to get your foot in the door in your desired industry, pursue certifications and degrees in the evenings/weekends, build up your work history and get to where you really want to go. They can be a good stepping stone from point A to point B. Just depends on what your ultimate goals are.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:53 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,219,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Also, there's one guy who has his head so far up the boss's ass it isn't funny. Every single day he goes out to eat lunch with the boss, EVERY day, just the two of them. He is also the boss's football and basketball buddy. They talk about sports together all the time instead of working, just the two of them. It's that kind of garbage that makes me loathe the office environment.
That is just so unprofessional to me. A good manager should never put himself in a position that smacks of favoritism towards a subordinate. It's so unfair and creates a hostile work environment.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
It's been a lot of years but I enjoyed working in an office. I had an interesting and always busy job so time didn't crawl and my office wasn't so small I felt closed in. I would go back to an office if I could make the same money I do now and be guaranteed raises like I am now. AND have all the bennies and bonuses I do now. Fat chance of that!

Come work with me a year! You want to talk about repetitive! I'm a cashier. You'd love it.

I guess I don't know any "fake" people at work. We are all just "us", including our managers. We all get along, work well together and even like each other. And it's a HUGE store so we do have employees that we don't even know but I doubt they are "fake" either. Talking to managers we talk like we do with each other. No big deal. Nobody is a butt kisser. Unless it's someone I don't know.
Well at least being a cashier you're getting some constant "human interaction" which may make things a bit more interesting while keeping your social skills fresh. But, I know interacting with the public has it's downsides as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment