Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 04:16 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Irishrom29 wrote:
"White collar" jobs aren't all their cracked up to be. I'm much happier with a family who's members aren't lawyers or CEO's. Not that there's anything wrong with it. But, we're down-to-earth and don't have any baggage or "work" to bring home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29
It seems every idiot with a skilsaw and a pickup truck thinks himself a "contractor" nowadays.
Splashy wrote:
Quote:
My uncle is a "contractor" - he builds decks, additions, roofs, patio rooms, you name it he does it. And makes right around $80,000/year.

Too, my father finishes drywall. He makes way more than my uncle and works half the hours.
I'm sure "Irishtom29" was refering to those who run around in a beat up pick up, Business name hand painted on the door and have no Contractors license or permit.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:02 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,271 times
I read this thread and it reminded me of a few Springsteen songs when he mentions factory workers and dock workers.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Excuse me, but you have it completely turn around here. In fact, a car "Sales" person, whether new or used would be a "White collar" worker.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the name "White Collar" come's those wearing a white shirt and tie, Blue Collar" comes from Blue Uniforms.

Now you you may be right about bragging. But the White collar crowd (mostly those who hobknob) was well known for their, Gossip, Rumors and back stabbing. And like you said , they passed their reputation down to everyone.
That was a expample of reputation not by blue collar;white collar. I worked in both in my lifetime and the problmes between blue colar workers can get pretty serious and violent at times. Fist to cuuffs is pretty common. Kust as blur collar strikes are know for violence.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That was a expample of reputation not by blue collar;white collar. I worked in both in my lifetime and the problmes between blue colar workers can get pretty serious and violent at times. Fist to cuuffs is pretty common. Kust as blur collar strikes are know for violence.

Jesus Tex, take it easy.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:48 PM

137 posts, read 602,720 times
I am well aware that a lot of city blue collar jobs offer competitive salaries and pensions, but the benefits of having a higher degree and working in corporate america are the lack of salary ceilings. Yes, construction can pay 75K - 100K, but if you go do a decent college and get a job at a public accounting firm, consulting, or finance in a metro area, you may make $50K coming out of college, but in 6 years you are making $100K. By the time you reach 35K, even if you are not a superstar, you are making close to 200K not including bonuses.

Plus, I think this discussion omitted the fact that blue collar or white collar doesn't just come down to money. It's also about prestige and work environment. I can gurantee you that most school teachers and even Jr. College Professors dont make anywhere close to the amount of money that a union worker makes. These individuals choose to go to school for 16 - 20 years+, take on student loans, for the non-monetary rewards of their jobs.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:39 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LArenter View Post
I am well aware that a lot of city blue collar jobs offer competitive salaries and pensions, but the benefits of having a higher degree and working in corporate america are the lack of salary ceilings. .

Well big time construction companies like Bechtel, B&W, Stone and Webster and Alstom get their on the job management from the trades---superintendants and project managers are usually people that used to work with the tools and still carry their union cards as boilermakers, pipefitters, millwrights and whatnot. These people are making pretty good dough. Needless to say this is also true of smaller outfits too.

I don't think the road to CEO lays that way but the point is an ambitious tradesperson has places to rise to.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,263 times
[quote=LArenter;4467949]
Quote:
you may make $50K coming out of college, but in 6 years you are making $100K. By the time you reach 35, even if you are not a superstar, you are making close to 200K not including bonuses.
Can anyone back Larenter statement up.It seems companies are paying lower starting salaries coming out of college.Finding a reason to get rid of the higher paid employees for lower paid employees.This is my observation,not saying you are wrong.Everyone will not make 200k in the corporate world,only a chosen few.The beauty of blue collars tradesmen they all can bring home the bacon lazy or not with the right company.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 AM

82 posts, read 377,663 times
just because you're blue collar doesn't mean u're getting paid low...NOT AT ALL. i work in a nice office in the financial industry dressed in suits everyday and guess what?
i only make 38k/year w/ bonus maybe 3k...
a garbage truck collector makes like 70-90k/year........so, that tells u something........

Old 07-17-2008, 08:38 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
just because you're blue collar doesn't mean u're getting paid low...NOT AT ALL. i work in a nice office in the financial industry dressed in suits everyday and guess what?
i only make 38k/year w/ bonus maybe 3k...
a garbage truck collector makes like 70-90k/year........so, that tells u something........
I don't think anyone said that, but the fact is, these days for Laborers and unskilled workers, "the harder the work, the less your paid".

Your always reding "pay based on experience".

Old 07-19-2008, 10:55 AM

61 posts, read 231,742 times
Well, we are a blue collar nation as only about 20% of Americans have a college degree. Putting down either blue collar or white collar workers is pretty bad though. The stigma probably comes from the fact that average earnings do increase with education-sure there are excpetions but more education does equal more money on average (except when we talk about PhDs vs. masters and law degrees).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment