Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:01 PM

75 posts, read 88,751 times

Advertisements

I work in a small office and the manager gives us all a gift every year for Christmas. The second in command (who is above me in the hierarchy but not a manager) usually buys everyone a small gift. This year, one of the employees who is lower on the so-called "totem pole" gave me (and everyone else) a gift.

I did not buy any gifts and neither did the other co-workers (as far as I know). I usually do not buy for the manager or the second in command because others might be suspicious that I am trying to get favors from them. The guy lower in the totem pole buying a gift was unexpected. I was going to reciprocate but then thought the other employees might get upset because I didn't get them anything....so I did not buy him a gift either.

Christmas is over so it's too late now but how should I have handled this? This is the first office I've worked in where there was any gift exchange at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:06 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,127 times
Gifts should "flow down." It's pretty common for various levels of management to give a little something to the people directly below them. It's too late now, but in the future it is probably a good idea to ask a couple of peers what people at your level typically do for their teams--feeling this out ahead of time can help you avoid a cultural misstep.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Gifts should "flow down." It's pretty common for various levels of management to give a little something to the people directly below them. It's too late now, but in the future it is probably a good idea to ask a couple of peers what people at your level typically do for their teams--feeling this out ahead of time can help you avoid a cultural misstep.
We just have one manager in our group. Below him, we have 3 levels of employees, and I am in the middle. The other employee at my level did not purchase any gifts. In years past, only the manager and the employee above me bought gifts and I don't recall anyone buying them anything since they are the two highest ranked. The guy at the lower level buying gifts was a first since he usually doesn't.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 AM

Nobody here exchanges gifts at work?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
You never gift up.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:03 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Unless there's a white elephant gift exchange event, we don't "do" gifts in the office. Had a boss give me a gift once but that was unexpected. If you feel compelled, give cards.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You never gift up.

Okay how about the guy "below" me in the hierarchy who gave a gift? Thought about getting him something but if I just get him something then it looks like I am favoring him over everyone else. That was a bit awkward to receive a gift from him since he was "gifting up".

Old 12-31-2014, 10:17 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
I work in a small office and the manager gives us all a gift every year for Christmas. The second in command (who is above me in the hierarchy but not a manager) usually buys everyone a small gift. This year, one of the employees who is lower on the so-called "totem pole" gave me (and everyone else) a gift.

I did not buy any gifts and neither did the other co-workers (as far as I know). I usually do not buy for the manager or the second in command because others might be suspicious that I am trying to get favors from them. The guy lower in the totem pole buying a gift was unexpected. I was going to reciprocate but then thought the other employees might get upset because I didn't get them anything....so I did not buy him a gift either.

Christmas is over so it's too late now but how should I have handled this? This is the first office I've worked in where there was any gift exchange at all.
There really is no rule per se. Sure, politics may come into play, but that'll be determined by the environment. I do think it's important to recognize those that support you. That said, I don't expect anyone to give me anything because its Christmas. I think to expect anything in return for an action you chose to take is somewhat selfish/petty. However, it certainly does happen.

In your case, if you feel like you need to reciprocate, you can always send a thank you card. And then make sure you do the same next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You never gift up.
I disagree with the "never" part. Not saying there aren't environments (or circumstances) where you probably should avoid that. But there are so many factors that can play into this. Every situation, relationship, environment is different.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:24 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
Okay how about the guy "below" me in the hierarchy who gave a gift? Thought about getting him something but if I just get him something then it looks like I am favoring him over everyone else. That was a bit awkward to receive a gift from him since he was "gifting up".

Give if you want to, not because you feel obligated to (like at a church ).

Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
There really is no rule per se. Sure, politics may come into play, but that'll be determined by the environment. I do think it's important to recognize those that support you. That said, I don't expect anyone to give me anything because its Christmas. I think to expect anything in return for an action you chose to take is somewhat selfish/petty. However, it certainly does happen.

In your case, if you feel like you need to reciprocate, you can always send a thank you card. And then make sure you do the same next year.

I disagree with the "never" part. Not saying there aren't environments (or circumstances) where you probably should avoid that. But there are so many factors that can play into this. Every situation, relationship, environment is different.

Good points. The manager and higher level employee gave me a gift the last couple of years and I did not reciprocate and they didn't seem to expect anything. Thanks for the card suggestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment