Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:17 PM

765 posts, read 986,300 times

Advertisements

New years resolution
Whats a job where i simply dont have to work weekends or nights
I have a bachelors degree and several years fixing computer problem for a computer lab at my school
Im willin to break into any job or profession
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:19 PM

276 posts, read 330,432 times
Almost any non-retail & non-banking related jobs.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Business Analyst.
Accountant.
Engineer.
Admi Assistant.
lawyer.
physical therapist
Rodeo Clown.
Mechanic.
Carpet Layer.

And many many others.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:32 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Any standard 9-5 M-F professional white collar gig.

Key words here are "professional" and "white collar". I used to work customer service and had rotten working hours such as third and 2nd shifts and even double shifts. The worst was working 2nd shift and having to come in to do 1st shift the next day. All for $10 bucks an hour.

Absolutely stay away from service jobs like retail. They want you to be available 24/7 and when you do come in you end up getting sent home early to save on payroll.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:32 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
University IT Services technician.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:10 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
There are thousands of Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 jobs. In my family some of the jobs are:

Teacher
Compliance Officer
Software Engineer
Bio-medical Engineer
Urban Planner
Controller
Customer Service Rep
Admin Assistant
Plant Manager
Lawyer
Social Worker
Academic Adviser

If you want helpful suggestions you'll have to give more information on your background and what you'd actually like doing.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:23 PM

208 posts, read 257,713 times
I do not recommend Engineering as a strictly daytime job. I worked 12, 14 hours, some weekends and holidays when I used to be in engineering. Basically was on call 24/7. I also know other engineers who work long tedious hours and basically are on call 24/7. It depends on what company you get into.

Also nix the Admin Asst job off the list. These people are often slogging away long hours and weekends depending on what profession they are working in. Certain businesses have on-call and 24/7 responsibilities so many Admins have to cover phones etc. Maybe they can work from home and maybe it's only a couple of hours on a holiday--but it's still working.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
In theory yes on the professional white collar jobs. However, many professional white collar jobs require well more than 40 hours a week, involve weekends or late nights sometimes, require answering emails evenings and weekends, or require being on call. Depends on the position and the company, but you can't just assume any professional white collar job will be weekdays only. The job market is completely different than it was 20 - 30 years ago. Nowdays, white collar positions that used to be 40 hours are now 50+ hours due to a whole variety of factors resulting from a modern economy and modern methods of communication.

For example:

Business Analyst - likely more than 40 hours a week although probably not many weekends. Likely will have to respond to emails on evenings/weekends.
Accountant - Depends on the type of accounting. Public accounting forget it - likely well more than 40 hours and evenings/weekends part of the year. Regular company accountant or government accountant, likely 8-5.
Engineer/IT - Depends on the company; can be only 40 hours but most are more than this. Evenings/weekends when deadlines are close. Many positions involve periods of being on call and require answering phone calls and emails during evenings/weekends even when not on call.
Admin Assistant - this one would be a good choice for only 8 - 5.
Lawyer - maybe, but most lawyers work more than 40 hours a week. Depending on the area of practice evenings/weekends before deadlines and trials and evening/weekends would have emails.
physical therapist - This one might be a good choice for only 8 - 5, but would depend on the employer.
Rodeo Clown - Ah, no.
Mechanic. - Many repairs shops have evening and weekend hours. Once you're high enough up the food chain you could probably choose to only work 8 - 5.
Carpet Layer (or any other construction job) - Depends on the employer but many building/construction projects operate at times on evenings and weekends.

If you want to stay with fixing computers, computer repair businesses often are only open 8 - 5. Also IT for University or other government agency. Stay clear of any type of retail or food-service jobs.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:43 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Maybe it's just my industry, but the chances I have been able to work nights were practically highway robbery.

I've never been paid so much to do so little work in my life. They always just needed me "available" but then never really needed me. At one job I was taking home over $2000 per week to watch movies and surf the net.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
Keep in mind that as you "climb the ladder" in many white collar professions, you are expected to read and answer emails, phone calls, etc nights and weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment